What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sleep late, got up around 9AM. Minor house cleaning, dusting. Went to coffee shop, stopped at wallymart to pick up furnace filter and six outlet usb charger and a jug of salsa.

Might work on cleaning up an old bicycle for short trips. Later tonight swing dance class.

Played golf this morning. Just now finished processing a couple of test images from an astrophotography run the other night. DW allowed me to install a semi-permanent" observatory on the patio. Still debugging the system, but here are a couple of test images from Friday night:

Attachments

• M2 7 frame stack unsharp curves small.jpg
    M2 7 frame stack unsharp curves small.jpg
    780.2 KB · Views: 35
  • M27 8 20 second exposures stackunsharp curves small.jpg
    M27 8 20 second exposures stackunsharp curves small.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 35
First day back at the gym for almost two weeks. Some family events kept me out, then followed by some surgery and the doc told me to stay out for at least a week. I took it easy, tomorrow morning I'll know if I took it easy enough.

Raked 18 bags of leaves this weekend. Then the big wind today blew all my neighbor's leaves into my yard. **SIGH** The timing of leaf raking is a big deal around here. It has to be when the trees are mostly down and before the first snowfall/cold weather, which can be a few days or a month or more. Nothing worse than bagging half frozen leaves on a frigid day.
Afterwards I took an Epsom salt bath, and today I was glad to be back at work sitting all day :)

Spent a day hunting and scouting the area my lousy deer tag is for. I have been to this area 3 times this month and I have not seen a deer, hoof print, poop, etc. at all. Thinking I may not even bother with the tag. OTOH I did bag my first jackrabbit. Man those suckers are big! Must be 4 times the size of an ordinary cottontail.

At the end of my excursion I nailed a second teal on the shore of a 3,000 acre lake. Unfortunately the wind started pushing it away from shore. I was not wearing waders, so I elected to strip down to my skivvies and wad out to grab it. The water was pretty darned cold. Good thing it was 65 and sunny. I will not be trying that in December.

Took a quick trip to Havana, followed by a short stop in Paris. Drove through Delaware on the way home.

Big surprise on the trip - had no idea there was a Benedictine Monastery located on the edge of the Ouachita Mountains in rural Arkansas.

It is amazing how spread out monasteries and cloisters are. I only found out there was one 10 minutes from our house a year or so ago because the cloister had to get a variance to build an 8 foot fence. Why did they need such a thing? Because a set of jackwagons were hopping the 4 foot fence and chasing down 70+ YO nuns who have lived a cloistered existence (including a vow of silence) for decades.

I went shopping for Halloween costumes during the day and for dinner we had a nice meal out with a dinner group we belong to.

Spent a day hunting and scouting the area my lousy deer tag is for. I have been to this area 3 times this month and I have not seen a deer, hoof print, poop, etc. at all. Thinking I may not even bother with the tag....

Last Sunday I was driving out of the Ranch and had to come to a skidding halt to keep from hitting one of about a half dozen deer. About a mile farther down the road I started to running into hunters all over the place. The deer were on a small strip of Forest Service land, but most of the hunters don't come up there. :facepalm:

What did we do today? We frustratedly urinated the entire day up against a wall, that's what.

Air Canada, arguably the worst airline in the world, (their motto is "We`re not happy until you`re not happy"), citing 'safety reasons' cancelled* all their flights from San Juan both before and after (way before and after) the day our ship is supposed** to arrive in PR.

(*Oddly enough, other members of the Star Alliance, affiliated with Air Canada, with flights that are purportedly operated by Air Canada, are still taking off.)

(**Royal Caribbean have still not categorically announced that they will be docking as per schedule.)

We were unable to establish online contact with Air Canada or with Expedia for TD, (through whom we booked the flight), but DW managed to chat with an Air Canada rep on Facebook......DW`s final comment was "Is there anything you can do for us, other than say "I`m sorry"?"

Finally we, with the help of a friend in Canada, managed to obtain a credit.

But....any available flights, (IF the ship docks there), were 2 1/2 to 3 times what we paid initially.

We asked the VTG rep if Royal Caribbean would allow us to do a straight swap for another (and perhaps slightly cheaper) cruise leaving from Barcelona a few days later......"Nyet, and you'd be charged 100% cancellation fee).....to which we replied "Fine, cancel the cruise we have booked for Oct 2018".

Mood of the moment....and it isn't a good one, is to just blow off the cruise in its entirety.......and make sure they don't try and nail us for the mandatory gratuities.

Last edited:
What did we do today? We frustratedly urinated the entire day up against a wall, that's what.

Air Canada, arguably the worst airline in the world, (their motto is "We`re not happy until you`re not happy"), citing 'safety reasons' cancelled* all their flights from San Juan both before and after (way before and after) the day our ship is supposed** to arrive in PR.

(*Oddly enough, other members of the Star Alliance, affiliated with Air Canada, with flights that are purportedly operated by Air Canada, are still taking off.)

(**Royal Caribbean have still not categorically announced that they will be docking as per schedule.)

We were unable to establish online contact with Air Canada or with Expedia for TD, (through whom we booked the flight), but DW managed to chat with an Air Canada rep on Facebook......DW`s final comment was "Is there anything you can do for us, other than say "I`m sorry"?"

Finally we, with the help of a friend in Canada, managed to obtain a credit.

But....any available flights, (IF the ship docks there), were 2 1/2 to 3 times what we paid initially.

We asked the VTG rep if Royal Caribbean would allow us to do a straight swap for another (and perhaps slightly cheaper) cruise leaving from Barcelona a few days later......"Nyet, and you'd be charged 100% cancellation fee).....to which we replied "Fine, cancel the cruise we have booked for Oct 2018".

Mood of the moment....and it isn't a good one, is to just blow off the cruise in its entirety.......and make sure they don't try and nail us for the mandatory gratuities.

Bummer. Hope you get it worked out. I think we are taking the same cruise. So far our flight is still intact to Miami and then on to Seattle. If anything gets cancelled we will just continue on with our travels from wherever we are.

Called my insurance company again about the prior approval they were supposed to get back with me yesterday about.

After talking with a different agent today I asked to speak with a supervisor. He informed me I'd hear back by COB today.

I promised I'd call back every day to annoy them until they gave me an answer. I've paid for this medication for 3 months myself and am done! When I spoke with my doctor she said it would be no problem to get the med approved.

The whole prior approval seems to be nothing but an aggravating issue for consumers. What the heck is a prescription for?

Nemo, According to Cruise timetables Jewel of the Seas is docking in San Juan Nov.19

It may well do so...but...they haven't yet 'officially' confirmed that they will adhere to their published schedule......there's always a "Yabbut".

Supposedly RC was going to send out an update today.....(oh, that'd be yesterday for us now)..haven't seen it yet.

What really [-]pisses[/-] ticks us off is Air Canada cancelling the cheaper flight that we booked numerous months ago and having their affiliates offer worse flights at higher prices.

As noted before...we use these repositioning cruises as buses to get home....we anticipated problems/delays at the San Juan port and were perfectly willing to accept that considering the circumstances......but now that Air Canada has cancelled the flight we booked, the purpose of taking this ship has evaporated.

We could have taken a later/possibly cheaper vessel to Miami.

Worked on our bath remodel. Took the pontoon boat out of the water. Pressure washed it and the outside of my workshop. Cleaned out the garage to make room for the boat.

Had my faith restored in humanity again.

Older son left his phone on the bus this morning. So that became *my* problem while he went on with school. Called the MTS office and they sent a call out to all buses on the route in question.... I called back 40 minutes later, as instructed. Good news - the phone was turned in. So I had to drive out to a specific stop on the route where that bus driver would be - so I could collect the phone. Took 3 hours from when I learned the phone was left on the bus till I was back home with the phone in my possession.

The phone has been abused and doesn't work right... I think my son was hoping I'd buy him a new one. Ha!

But - my faith is restored because this is the second time I've ****successfully**** retrieved items left on the bus - which means no one stole them, instead turning them into the bus driver. People can do the right thing!

Nemo, what a rotten day! I'll bet we had more fun than you did, today, just hanging out here at home. :)

We went to lunch together, and then chatted and had a wonderful time while driving around New Orleans in this glorious, sunny weather, best weather this year. We continued talking about everything under the sun after we got home, while he did his laundry at my house.

After he folded his clean laundry, he walked back to his house with it (20 feet). I started listening to a podcast while sitting in my easy chair, which BTW is the most comfortable chair in the universe, bar none (see commercial photo of it below - - now isn't that enticing?). While listening, I did some pretty jigsaw puzzles on my iPad.

As one might expect after about 15 minutes I ended up napping in my chair for quite a while, and it was great. Now that's my idea of a perfect day.

Attachments

• EasyChair.jpg
    EasyChair.jpg
    37.8 KB · Views: 42
I got up late and made an indulgent breakfast of bacon and eggs. Then I took my car in for its semiannual service and tire change (to winter tires). Read a book while waiting. On the way home, I decided to visit a new winery, where I had a very enjoyable tasting, met some interesting people, and signed up for the wine club. Now Im reaheating the leftovers of a wonderful tarragon chicken casserole that I invented last night, which I will enjoy with a glass of white wine!

https://indigenousworldwinery.com

We went to a comedy show last night that was a lot of fun. Today we did chores, like yard trimming and decluttering the garage, and just enjoyed the nice weather with coffee on the patio and walking the dog. Tonight was a concert in a park by a Pink Floyd tribute band called House of Floyd.

Last edited:
Other than two weeks in the summer, do you plan to ever live in it? Or is it mostly intended to be a rental for investment purposes? Sounds like it is really nice since it is the most you ever paid for a house.

Anything is possible. My plan is to make it accessible with a first floor master bedroom and a ramp coming from the driveway to the deck, where the door is wide enough for a wheelchair. Add an accessible shower in the master bedroom and it should be good for most things as we get older.
It is a nice house, but not luxurious. The high price if from being two blocks from the beach.

Last edited:
Reactions: W2R
Took a hot yoga class for an hour, cleaned out the garage then an 18 mile bike ride (race!). Read for an hour then sat in the beautiful Dallas October sun with the dog....it truly does not get better than this ;)

I am watching my 10 year old granddaughter before she goes to school. We had bacon and eggs and then I will drop her off at school. One of my retirement joys.

Bought a Sofia all-day Metro Pass.....weather was sunny and warm......used the subway/streetcars/trolleybuses as hop-on-hop-off transport, (as many trips as can be done in a day).

Went hither & yon.

An enjoyable day.

DH and I raked leaves this morning. Only about half of them are down here at the mountain house, but we prefer to do two or three manageable rakes vs. one overwhelming rake. We uncovered some acorns, so the deer will be happy this evening.

After lunch I took my little sailboat ("Sunflounder") out for the last time this year. The weather was nice and it was a pretty day on the lake, but I stayed out for about a hour because the wind was annoyingly variable.

All cleaned up now, and dinner is in the slow cooker. Time to sit and read, or perhaps nap.

Saluted the arrival of cool weather by making a big pot of split pea soup. One of the great joys of winter (at least for me).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom