What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
I always wondered what the rationale was for changing the clocks at such disparate dates compared to the respective equinoxes. About 8 days before the vernal equinox but not until about 45 days after the autumnal equinox.
You used rationale and clocks in the same sentence! 😂

I've traveled and done business(only 3 continents) during that horrible period of the year.

What a joke!

Surely if we could agree on DST we could agree on world peas!

World peas is a cake walk, world peace... a little harder.

Worked on the yard.

Raked and bagged 8 tall bags of leaves. Trimmed trees of dead branches, cut back some of this years growth, washed the tool shed, etc. About 6 hours of outdoor work in nice cool conditions. :)

Same here. I use the lawn mower with the collector on it for the leaves. Today, I got 6 tall brown paper leaf bags full, but that's only a tiny start. The Norway maples are still green. The sugar maples are yellow and red, but the leaves haven't yet dropped. We have 15 maples and an oak tree on our 1/3 acre lot, so we get a lot of leaves.

I also picked up all the sticks and branches, put down some Milorganite on the newly mowed lawn, changed the screens for glass in the storm doors, removed the window air conditioners (oddly enough, we used the bedroom one this past week) and put them away in the garage. I'm tired and sore.

It was all synchronized until George W Bush changed the time of the switchover in the US due to his impression that it would save fuel for the war in Iraq, or something. It’s very confusing if you are traveling between North America and Europe that week!

Nothing is ever simple. Just looking at the current season:
Paraguay 1 Oct (always an outlier)
Brazil 15 Oct
Most of Europe 29 Oct
Mexico 29 Oct
Canada & USA 5 Nov

First test of the outdoor theater with the Optoma projector and the Dalite 106 inch model B pulldown. No sound yet, just wanted to verify the DTV wireless box was going to work with the PJ and the screen geometry was close.

37965172836_4df8a9f267_o.jpg

Sweet! Now on to the sound - :)

Got up at 04:00 a.m., back to the studio at 09:30 p.m.

Rode the narrow gauge train, and spent a couple hours in a small burg in the Bulgarian hinterland......a far cry from the shopping mall in Sofia.

If it hadn`t been for the mosque I might have described the place as a modern day shtetl.......babuskas, a woman grazing a cow on a leash by the main road, a flock of sheep in a front yard, cord upon cord of cut wood on just about every sidewalk, and the smell of smoke permeating the air.

Ladas...but also Audis......wonder to what degree it`s changed since the Soviet era?

Gym day! Before we left the house there was a flock of (15?)wild turkey outside. Our one little dog loves the things. DW left her outside, of course she barked and flushed them down into the caynon.

Post workout, we stopped at a local Mexican restaurant, I had Chille Verde, think theirs is better then mine.

When we got home there was 3 mule deer next to the house, mom and her 2 yearling. When I looked out back another 5 or 6 were out on the canyon rim. They'll be gone soon for 6 months. They move to lower elevation, less snow, warmer temperatures, and more abundant food, I guess they're snow-birding.

Brewed 5 gallons of California Common.

Got up at 04:00 a.m., back to the studio at 09:30 p.m.

Rode the narrow gauge train, and spent a couple hours in a small burg in the Bulgarian hinterland......a far cry from the shopping mall in Sofia.

If it hadn`t been for the mosque I might have described the place as a modern day shtetl.......babuskas, a woman grazing a cow on a leash by the main road, a flock of sheep in a front yard, cord upon cord of cut wood on just about every sidewalk, and the smell of smoke permeating the air.

Ladas...but also Audis......wonder to what degree it`s changed since the Soviet era?

Your narrative is good, but it can always be made better with a few photos.

I finally acknowledged the changing of the seasons and put the winter tires on my car, my niece's car, and one of my parent's vehicles.

I also cleaned out my golf bag before storing it until next year and found an old granola bar, about $20 in change, and a small bottle of sunscreen with a broken lid. Luckily I keep it in a plastic bag to prevent leakage... :)

I finally acknowledged the changing of the seasons and put the winter tires on my car, my niece's car, and one of my parent's vehicles.

I also cleaned out my golf bag before storing it until next year and found an old granola bar, about $20 in change, and a small bottle of sunscreen with a broken lid. Luckily I keep it in a plastic bag to prevent leakage... :)

I put my winter tires on this week too. Here in BC we are still golfing. I played 18 holes today and it was very pleasant. However, it looks like snow is heading our way by late next week. I think Tuesday might be my last game this season.

Went to the gym, then had lunch with DH at Johnny Carino's. Took advantage of a beautiful Fall day in the high 60's to clean out the gutters. The weather is supposed to turn windy and cool tomorrow. Discovered two downspouts were clogged, couldn't find the plumbers snake so ran to Home Depot to buy a new one. Came home and cleared the downspouts and mowed the lawn. Probably have one more mowing for the back yard. The ornamental pears trees haven't dropped all of their leaves yet. Hopefully, we'll be done with leaves this week.

We had a fun weekend. Friday we saw a play The Mystery of Edwin Drood at a community college. Last night we went to a Halloween party on an aircraft carrier, the USS Hornet, with a couple of bands, dancing and a costume contest. People had very creative costumes - the contest was the best part. Today we went to a planetarium show on Dark Matter called Phantom of the Universe, with presentations after the show by three dark matter researchers.

Put my snows on last week as well but only because vehicle wasin for service. Usually safe to leave them off until the beginning of December and last year could have done without them entirely.

Your command is my wish: ...

Ah, there's nothing like a few photos to enliven a thread and to show the readers exactly what you saw. They certainly appreciate your generosity too.

But I struggle to understand the meaning of your twisting around the common phrase.

But I struggle to understand the meaning of your twisting around the common phrase.

Nothing sinister, just an innocuous approach from a different angle in order to offer diversity of expression. ;)

Spent some time on my sewing project, washed most of the windows at the main house, and met my friend for a walk.

We put the Halloween decorations up and bought extra candy. Our neighborhood is getting younger families so we weren't sure how many kids to expect. We got about 50 trick or treaters and it looks like that will be it for this year. Earlier we bought $3 "booritos" at Chipotle for their Halloween special for going in costumes. I also took a trunk load of clutter to a charity thrift shop. Decluttering that much stuff always feels good.

Today was a gym day, got home and there was a big brown box on the front porch, a new airplane to play with, backordered about six weeks ago. It took a while to get the flap/elevator mix on the transmitter figured out but it works now.

Very often with almost any airplane, full size or model, there will be a noticeable nose-up pitch when flaps are lowered because doing so changes the center of lift on the wing. On full-size airplanes this is countered with a trim adjustment or on the big expensive ones, automatically by the computer. On R/C models we can sort of do the same thing by having the computer in the transmitter do the same thing but it takes some fiddling because it is a "cut and try" process to get things dialed in to where it works well.

Spent the afternoon trimming the landscape at DD’s new house. She and the BF had already done a lot but we offered to pitch in while they were at work today. It looks like the previous owners spent a lot installing the landscape but didn’t quite know how to maintain it. It should be very nice with a little more sweat investment.

On the way home we stopped and bought a new snowblower. That probably guarantees a very mild winter here in SE PA.

On the way home we stopped and bought a new snowblower. That probably guarantees a very mild winter here in SE PA.

Hey, it worked for me. After a very bad winter with two back-to-back snowstorms of ~2 feet each a week apart I broke down and spent $900 on a snowthrower.

Didn't see snowflake one for four years. I'll take that deal.

3rd day of my 10 day sabbatical (self imposed vacation) away from home. SIL is taking care of DW until I return (DW needs assistance with daily tasks).

Drove the last leg from Columbus, OH to Waterbury, CT today. The north eastern states (PA, NY, CT) highways are in pretty poor condition and I encountered construction on all roads traveled. There were many lane closings, bridges being repaired, etc, etc. It's November folks, and this work won't be done in many cases this year because winter will set in soon.

Gasoline prices in Pennsylvania are 25% higher than anywhere else I have seen. I don't think the extra tax is really helping the poor roads. The PA Turnpike toll fees will stop you in your tracks. Outrageous. $30 from Pittsburgh to near Phila. Throw in the NE Extension and it's over $40. Maybe I am just used to free turnpike travel or just fees that are on shorter road systems.

Anyway, I'll be visiting remaining family and friends here in CT and heading back to TX next week.

Well, yesterday anyway.....got up at 03:00 a.m., showered, had breakfast, walked 25 minutes in the dark to the bus station......caught the first bus to Veliko Tarnovo.....arrived there at 08:30 a.m. and beat (most of) the riff raff....(oops, I meant 'other tourists'.......).....tied with a young Spanish couple, beaten by a Chinese group....and followed by assorted Bulgarians.

Great Day!!

25ivsj6.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom