What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Fedex delivered my new Dell desktop this morning. As I removed it from the box something inside the computer rattled around, never a good sign.

Turns out it was the hard drive - it was dangling loose from a single wiring harness, flopping around inside the computer. Someone had inserted the mounting screws in the bay but not into the hard drive's mounting holes.

Fortunately nothing appeared to be damaged so I attached the other harness and secured the drive in the bay. I then called Dell to (politely) vent my frustration at their lack of QC in assembly. The help desk guy was very apologetic and offered to do my Windows 10 upgrade for me (the computer came with Windows 7 installed and a Windows 10 license). So I let him spend three and a half hours downloading the upgrade and doing the install.

It's working great. :)

Fedex delivered my new Dell desktop this morning. As I removed it from the box something inside the computer rattled around, never a good sign.

Turns out it was the hard drive - it was dangling loose from a single wiring harness, flopping around inside the computer. Someone had inserted the mounting screws in the bay but not into the hard drive's mounting holes.

Fortunately nothing appeared to be damaged so I attached the other harness and secured the drive in the bay. I then called Dell to (politely) vent my frustration at their lack of QC in assembly. The help desk guy was very apologetic and offered to do my Windows 10 upgrade for me (the computer came with Windows 7 installed and a Windows 10 license). So I let him spend three and a half hours downloading the upgrade and doing the install.

Maybe I'm more crabby than some, but I think Dell owed you that 3.5 hours of help after sending you something in that condition.

It's a nice bonus to have the upgrade downloaded and installed by them, so that you didn't have to spend hours messing with it. :)

I would have considered the HDD issue a problem, but the Win7 installation might have totally made up for it. As stated elsewhere (many times, I think), I hate Windows 10.

Late yesterday afternoon went to the eye doctor, (follow up on my shingles corneal infringement….going to try reducing the Prednisolone drops from three times a week to twice a week).

Real ‘eye opener’ came in discussions in the crowded waiting room……one lady, (aged around 80), and in otherwise relatively good health, had recently developed an uncontrollable (and undiagnosed…..the doctors don’t know what it is but have ruled out Parkinson’s) head bobbing. (when she went in for the preliminary eye review, and was out of earshot, someone mentioned Huntington’s).

Another couple, (I thought he was my age, I’m 75, mentioned that his mother was 80), he’d had facial bone grafts for cancer, and she was riddled with osteoporosis, which was only discovered when he hugged her one day and cracked two of her ribs.

And so on…..

Came home…..booked a transatlantic for next Fall….(maybe hit the Ukraine beforehand)….figured The Moirai had given us a nudge.

Late yesterday afternoon went to the eye doctor, (follow up on my shingles corneal infringement….going to try reducing the Prednisolone drops from three times a week to twice a week).

Real ‘eye opener’ came in discussions in the crowded waiting room……one lady, (aged around 80), and in otherwise relatively good health, had recently developed an uncontrollable (and undiagnosed…..the doctors don’t know what it is but have ruled out Parkinson’s) head bobbing. (when she went in for the preliminary eye review, and was out of earshot, someone mentioned Huntington’s).

Another couple, (I thought he was my age, I’m 75, mentioned that his mother was 80), he’d had facial bone grafts for cancer, and she was riddled with osteoporosis, which was only discovered when he hugged her one day and cracked two of her ribs.

And so on…..

Came home…..booked a transatlantic for next Fall….(maybe hit the Ukraine beforehand)….figured The Moirai had given us a nudge.

Be careful with too much Prednisolone (I'm hoping you were told this!). DW was prescribed it for months to counteract COPD and ended up with severe osteoporosis. What resulted were 5 compression fractures of her vertebrae and she lost 4" in height (in one year). Now she is on daily injections of Forteo @ $1000/month (after Part D picks up the front load). DW is 72.

Be careful with too much Prednisolone (I'm hoping you were told this!). DW was prescribed it for months to counteract COPD and ended up with severe osteoporosis. What resulted were 5 compression fractures of her vertebrae and she lost 4" in height (in one year). Now she is on daily injections of Forteo @ $1000/month (after Part D picks up the front load). DW is 72.

Wow! I've been on it for longer than that......my next eye appointment is in early March next year.........Shingles, who knew?

Wow! I've been on it for longer than that......my next eye appointment is in early March next year.........Shingles, who knew?

DW was given high doses when she needed an injection to get her passages opened up and then was prescribed pills of varying concentrations. I don't know if this issue is more a risk in women, but reading the drug risk literature may provide that information. At one point, Medicare wouldn't approve additional Prednisolone prescriptions until she had a hiatus from it for a while.

l ‘eye opener’ came in discussions in the crowded waiting room……one lady, (aged around 80), and in otherwise relatively good health, had recently developed an uncontrollable (and undiagnosed…..the doctors don’t know what it is but have ruled out Parkinson’s) head bobbing. (when she went in for the preliminary eye review, and was out of earshot, someone mentioned Huntington’s).

And so on…..

We got that wake up call . A good friend of mine was diagnosed with Lou Gehrig's disease and was dead within a year . Another friend very healthy has just been diagnosed with Pancreatic Cancer.The clock is ticking just not enough to make me want to go to Chernivtsi .Maybe Ireland .

DW was given high doses when she needed an injection to get her passages opened up and then was prescribed pills of varying concentrations.

DW remembered (I have selective CRS) that last year, when we were applying for overseas medical insurance, I neglected to note that I was taking eye drops rather than shots, and the insurers said that I didn't qualify for the 'problem free' coverage.

After we twigged to my error we provided documentation and they said that eye drops didn't count (against me).

Thankfully.

Looked at the military retired pay I'll be receiving next year and was struck by the fact that it is now just slightly more than double the amount I got when I left active duty. It has (obviously) tracked exactly the cumulative inflation of the period.

If ever there were a striking example of the advantage of a COLA, this is certainly it.

I know we're most likely going to be changing to a chained CPI version, but that will still be so much better than the fixed pension amount (like DW has).

Went to the chiropractor for my recurring thumb problem. Little pain, but the thumb doesn’t seem to work like it’s supposed to. I think it’s arthritis. Had an ultrasound - it was weird how it triggered faint spasms in the inflammation area.

I installed the benches in the hot tub.

I sympathize with Mrs. Aja. Osteoporosis is a well known complication of systemic (taken by mouth) steroids. However, it would be very rare to absorb sufficient prednisone from the cornea (in Nemo2’s case) to cause osteoporosis.

Going to listen to DH sing in a choir of choirs and then he’s taking me out to a swell dinner downtown for our 45th anniversary.

Almost got clobbered twice this morning in traffic.

It's worth putting out a reminder to be especially aware of other drivers this month. So many of them are distracted, thinking about shopping, parties, visiting relatives, etc.

Keep your eyes moving constantly while you drive (of course that's good advice any time).

Almost got clobbered twice this morning in traffic.

It's worth putting out a reminder to be especially aware of other drivers this month. So many of them are distracted, thinking about shopping, parties, visiting relatives, etc.

Keep your eyes moving constantly while you drive (of course that's good advice any time).
Good advice.

My *favorite* drivers are the ones who pull out into traffic when it's not clear, realize their mistake, and then stop.

I had a school bus do that to me the other day: She pulls out in front of me. I hit the brakes and stop before hitting her. But, rather than continuing to turn, or backing up, she "freezes", blocking both lanes. :nonono:

The highlight of yesterday? Watching the meteor shower from the hot tub. Saw 21 of them over the course of an hour. We have dark night skies and no moon made for excellent viewing!

The highlight of yesterday? Watching the meteor shower from the hot tub. Saw 21 of them over the course of an hour. We have dark night skies and no moon made for excellent viewing!
I'm very jealous.

We lived in rural San Diego County for a few years and it was perfect for star gazing: lots of clear skies, mild nighttime temps, far enough away from San Diego to avoid light pollution.

Now I live in Chicago. :yuk:

A couple days ago I found evidence of a mouse in my house so I set a trap and caught one. I then tried to find how it got inside and tracked it down to the former chimney for the furnace that ran up through the middle of the house and through the attic. The mouse had accessed the attic through a damaged piece of soffit.

I had replaced the furnace about 10 years ago with a outside wall venting high efficiency furnace but had left the old chimney in place other than removing it in the basement to open it up. This past summer it had developed a leak where it came through the roof so I removed the chimney and patched the roof, but neglected to seal it where it entered the attic. It's now properly sealed and rodent proof.

I also learned how squeamish I am with dead mice...I couldn't remove the mouse from the trap so I tossed the entire thing in the trash.

I also learned how squeamish I am with dead mice...I couldn't remove the mouse from the trap so I tossed the entire thing in the trash.
That's SOP (Standard Operating Procedure). Mice carry fleas and some pretty gruesome diseases. NO WAY am I touching a dead mouse, :nonono: and it's not from being squeamish so much as just trying not to get the plague or some other dread disease.

I'm very jealous.

We lived in rural San Diego County for a few years and it was perfect for star gazing: lots of clear skies, mild nighttime temps, far enough away from San Diego to avoid light pollution.

Now I live in Chicago. :yuk:

We got lucky-usually it’s cloudy or raining this time of year.

That's SOP (Standard Operating Procedure). Mice carry fleas and some pretty gruesome diseases. NO WAY am I touching a dead mouse, :nonono: and it's not from being squeamish so much as just trying not to get the plague or some other dread disease.

Well, I wouldn't have actually touched it...I would have just pried back the kill bar and dropped the mouse off and then immediately washed my hands, but why even get that close. The $0.99 was money well spent. :LOL:

Well, I wouldn't have actually touched it...I would have just pried back the kill bar and dropped the mouse off and then immediately washed my hands, but why even get that close. The $0.99 was money well spent. :LOL:
Exactly!!! Fleas could have jumped off that dead mouse onto you while you were prying back the kill bar, even if you didn't touch the mouse, and mouse fleas carry some pretty awful diseases if my understanding is correct. Anyway, I would not chance it. Definitely $0.99 well spent, especially given the ever rising cost of medical care these days.

Last edited:
Went to the primary care doc for a follow up visit, and he says I'm in good shape although it's been an eventful year. Hoping next year is dull and boring medically.

Then we went to pick up DW's Honda Accord at the shop after a state inspection and tire rotation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom