What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Celebrated the last full day of winter with the first trip out on the XC skis this year. Unfortunately we didn't have enough snow this year until we got 30" last week. It was a very nice day out and I quickly shed my gloves, which by the end of the trip led to the beginnings of a blister on my thumb. I also found some leg / butt muscles that have apparently been hibernating. Time for a warm shower.

This morning, I went out and inspected my garden. My usual routine. It's nice and sunny. I saw a lovely young monarch butterfly on some of my flowers, went back to my house and got my new iPad to take a photo but unfortunately it went away too quickly. So I decided to sit down in my California room, like a huge back porch and took a picture of my water fountain. Luckily I did that because I noticed a shadow in my picture. It turns out the iPad case cover was blocking the camera. So today, I will have to go to Verizon and shell out money for a real Otter case. I think it's time for me to spend the kid's inheritance. I need a push like this sometimes.

Turned and tilled a few more square feet of planting bed. Down to only 4 bags of manure and need to go out to get more soon. Should have a bumper crop of veggie this summer, plenty to share with siblings.

First day back at the gym since recovering from the cold, DW is still in recovery mode. Made a grocery run on the way home, and noticed the store is still not completely restocked from the run on it before last week's snowfall.

Turned and tilled a few more square feet of planting bed. Down to only 4 bags of manure and need to go out to get more soon. Should have a bumper crop of veggie this summer, plenty to share with siblings.
I have my own compost from old vegetables and eggshells. I can't stand the smell of manure.
I need to go out and get one more trash container because I'm running out of room.

The desert soil here is so hard I need a lot of amendment to make it loamy. I do not have enough land to have a large compost pile away from the home.

Cow manure is very good for plants. When turned into the soil, the smell is not bad at all, and dissipates soon. Aged and deodorized manure is even better.

Last edited:
The desert soil here is so hard I need a lot of amendment to make it loamy. I do not have enough land to have a large compost pile away from the home.

Manure is very good for plants. When turned into the soil, the smell is not bad at all, and dissipates soon. Aged and deodorized manure is even better.
I don't have large plot either. I put them in garbage container and put some worms in them to help me decompose them. My husband covers them with peat. So no smell whatsoever.

We are recovering today after DD had a slumber party for her 9th birthday last night. Even our dog was exhausted.

I watered the tulips and other spring plants today. It's been 80 degrees in Colorado the past few days. I have never had to water the flowers in March before. We even turned on the AC last night because it was 82 degrees in the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

I watered the tulips and other spring plants today. It's been 80 degrees in Colorado the past few days. I have never had to water the flowers in March before. We even turned on the AC last night because it was 82 degrees in the house.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

You aren't kidding about the weather. My beehives are filling with honey so much so that I put honey supers on this week just to give them some place to put it. That normally does not happen until late April.

Uh, lets see:

- 8AM conference call to prepare for unrealistic deadline that *expletive deleted* client dropped at 6PM Friday on the 3 person consulting shop I 1099 for. They likely won't survive their stupidity, so I suppose just desserts will come to them.
- Heavily watered and turned the soil in the new 4X8 raised bed and the pots, then planted snow peas, English peas, parsnips, spinach, arugula, lettuce and onion sets.
- Split and stacked more firewood. Free maple is great, but its a lot of work.
- Got the truck washed, including vacuuming out a buttload of straw from the bed from the Fall. Next time the bedliner will be plastic rather than marine carpet.
- Grocery run.
- Planted a couple of Humulus Neomexicanus hop plants that will hopefully be better suited to my climate than the commercially grown H. Lupulus that requires a longer photoperiod than I have and has produced zippo in the last 4 years. I made sure that one of the plants I ordered was the "Multihead" variety, which is unique in that the hop flower cones have 2 or 3 points rather than 1.
- Made teriyaki chicken and grilled asparagus for dinner.
- Collapse in the hammock. Have to be prepared to pick up over 450 pounds of malt from the warehouse tomorrow as BIL and I are masquerading as a business to get a good price.

Today we packed a picnic lunch and went to to a wine tasting event in Sonoma Valley called Savor Sonoma - current release and future wine barrel tasting. This year there were 17 wineries participating. We made it to four, three favorites and one winery, Ledson, we had not been to before but enjoyed and wines and the grounds. I made split pea soup in the thermal cooker before we left the house so we had that hot and ready to eat when we come home for dinner.

made the 4 1/2 year old triplet grandsons some toy wooden guns - they "helped".
Traced my old Daisy Red Ryder BB gun on some old pine I had laying around and
went to wor*
snip_20170320040706.png

Last edited:
I was supposed to audition for a band later in the week but got an email yesterday afternoon..."Our other scheduled audition cancelled, I know it's short notice but can you come tonight?" I had nothing planned so I went and ended up playing with them for almost 3 hours...half the time on what I knew from their set list, and the other half on other commonly known songs that we both knew...or mostly knew :)

They are good musicians, but far too loud (luckily I brought my ear plugs). We got along well personally and musically, and they told me that they really liked my playing and thought I'd be a good fit, but also that they had other auditions scheduled. I said that I have 2 other bands that take priority and the volume has to come down, but their rehearsal and gig schedule works for me and I enjoyed playing with them. Sometimes the "I'm in 2 other bands" statement doesn't go over well...a lot of bands want you to be their #1 priority, but they seemed to understand as we seem to share a common interest of playing because we love to play.

As I was typing this, I realized that in my first year of retirement how much I have increased my music playing. I rehearsed with bands on Wednesday and Thursday, had an acoustic guitar jam on Friday, jammed with another semi-regular band on Saturday, and then auditioned for a new band on Sunday. As the saying goes...I don't know when I ever had time to w*rk!! :)

I was supposed to audition for a band later in the week but got an email yesterday afternoon..."Our other scheduled audition cancelled, I know it's short notice but can you come tonight?" I had nothing planned so I went and ended up playing with them for almost 3 hours...half the time on what I knew from their set list, and the other half on other commonly known songs that we both knew...or mostly knew :)

They are good musicians, but far too loud (luckily I brought my ear plugs). We got along well personally and musically, and they told me that they really liked my playing and thought I'd be a good fit, but also that they had other auditions scheduled. I said that I have 2 other bands that take priority and the volume has to come down, but their rehearsal and gig schedule works for me and I enjoyed playing with them. Sometimes the "I'm in 2 other bands" statement doesn't go over well...a lot of bands want you to be their #1 priority, but they seemed to understand as we seem to share a common interest of playing because we love to play.

As I was typing this, I realized that in my first year of retirement how much I have increased my music playing. I rehearsed with bands on Wednesday and Thursday, had an acoustic guitar jam on Friday, jammed with another semi-regular band on Saturday, and then auditioned for a new band on Sunday. As the saying goes...I don't know when I ever had time to w*rk!! :)

That sounds like a lot of fun. We go out to hear local bands play quite a bit. Some of them are really good. It is nice to be able to check them out ahead of time on Youtube and Facebook these days.

I found the red reflector at the end of the driveway, it also marks the edge of a four foot ditch. I haven't seen it for four months because of the six foot snow pile on top of it.:) It peeked out of the edge of the remaining snow.

My BP has climbed up again I have an appointment tomorrow with my new PCP. I felt weird the last three days and my BP has been averaging 150/95 since I've noticed feeling odd(3 days).

Several other DR'S have questioned the med I'm on(diltiazem xt) for BP control and I'm going to push for something different.

I am so confused by the new BP guidelines. The triage nurse told me not to come to the ER unless my BP was 180/110! I told her I'd be dead.:mad:

Walked the dogs with DW for a few miles, then went on an expedition to a warehouse to pick up 500 pounds of malt on a pallet. Took a conference call on the way home. Grabbed lunch and did a few hours of work, then cut, chopped and stacked wood, tapped a new keg, and about to hop on another call. Dinner and a middle school band concert tonight.

I spent 6 hours at the Senior Center doing taxes for seniors and low income people through the AARP/IRS program. Had a slight set to with a client who did not believe he had to pay 15+% of his 1099-MISC income as self employment tax. He said he went to someone who told him it was 10% if it was under 10K.
I checked with the supervisor at our site, and he said to let him file that way. The IRS will catch it:)

So what do you do?.. Override the correct calculation?

Are you or the supervisor named as the preparer?

Last edited:
Appt today with spine doc to diagnose my leg pain and inability to walk normally on the same leg.

He thinks I have a ruptured disc pressing on my sciatic nerve root. Next step is MRI.

If a rupture is the cause of my pain, but more importantly my inability to use my leg, he's recommending a microdiscectomy as quickly as possible.

He said that usually a ruptured disc doesn't cause a problem so no treatment is necessary but with the nerve compressed it could cause permanent damage if not repaired. Round of oral prednisone did nothing.

Surgery wasn't even on the radar when I left the house today, but what he said makes sense so we'll see what's next after the MRI.

Good luck Lisa99.

So what do you do?.. Override the correct calculation?

Are you or the supervisor named as the preparer?
Neither of us are the preparer. We told the man to have his friend do his taxes and we deleted his return from our system.
Unfortunately when someone's mind is made up like that, there is no sense arguing.
I even revisited the IRS site to confirm that my position was correct.

I guess I misunderstood your post and where you said that the supervisor said "let him file that way"... I thought that you were saying that you were preparing the filing for him the way he wanted.

True, when the client "knows" more than you then why do his taxes? :D

Ok, so we did it yesterday rather than today; got tired of bending my tired old back putting on shoes in order to go outside, so we found a guy in a nearby town who makes little hallway benches.

Got this one for $135 Canadian, (~$102 US), with no tax.

11ju7p1.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom