What did you do today? 2019 version.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mounted a new medicine cabinet in the master bathroom. We took the easy way out and mounted it ON the wall instead of IN the wall. That way if we want to take it down to change it out later there are only four small holes to patch, not a two-foot by 18-inch hole, or whatever it is, to patch.

Slept late at the camp. Cut up several logs I dragged out of the woods. This batch is for next winter's firewood.
Admired the blizzard of leaves flying as gusts of wind came through.
Had lunch on the deck.

I attended a 2-hour "informational seminar" about Medicare at the Family Medicine practice where my PCP practices. It's a public service they provide as part of their outreach to the community.

I am a year away from Medicare, but I'm doing my research now.

It was interesting, and although it didn't present a lot of new-to-me information, it did "put it all together" in one easy-to-navigate slideshow, which they emailed to all the attendees afterwards. They also had handouts and snacks - woo hoo! :dance: :D

The main presenter was from the local SHIIP office (Seniors Health Insurance Information Program) and she really knew her stuff. I was surprised at some of the questions from the audience, but then I realized that not everyone has had the benefit of the free Medicare education I have received on this site from those who have "been there, done that" and been kind enough to share their knowledge with others who are coming up behind them. :D

They even had some pretty nice raffle prizes for those whose ticket numbers they called. My life long luck held firm there, and I didn't win a thing. :LOL:

It was a good excuse to leave w#ork two hours early, and I did learn a couple of things, so it was time well spent.

If I'm not mistaken, every state has a SHIIP program in place. They will meet one-on-one with folks to help them navigate the Medicare Maze when the time comes. I guess that is similar to what Boomer Benefits does, but in this case you get a real live person to talk to.

Edited to add: apparently SHIIP is called by different names in different states.

https://www.seniorsresourceguide.com/directories/National/SHIP/

That looks like a very interesting/useful site. Thanks for posting!

I’ve bookmarked it and will share with friends. I hope it doesn’t stay buried in the “What did you do today?” thread (although it sounds like a great “thing to do”!).

Thank you for sharing that site with us, Calico. And thank you, Steelyman, for spurring us to create a new thread in the FAQ sub-forum called "Useful Medicare Information", with Calico's as the inaugural post.

Thank you for sharing that site with us, Calico. And thank you, Steelyman, for spurring us to create a new thread in the FAQ sub-forum called "Useful Medicare Information", with Calico's as the inaugural post.

I'm glad that my post was deemed useful enough to be included in the FAQs.

And look at that - it only took me 1,201 posts to start my first thread - without even knowing it! :LOL:

Renewed my driver's license. First time I actually went into DOL office to take an eye test etc. after some ten years. (My license was renewed online some five years ago without needing an eye test.) For the past 30 years my license had a "needs to wear glasses" restriction. This time I passed the eye test, so I no longer have that restriction noted on my license. I can now legally drive without glasses. I'm guessing that because I have done a lost less w*rk-related reading since I retired nine years ago, my eyesight has improved a bit. (I haven't had my vision prescription renewed in some nine years.) Yippee!

Took a balloon ride at the Albuquerque Balloon Festiva. Cost=$0.

Pilot said he was safe, he has never left anyone up there.

(You folks post way too many work accomplishments...)

Beautiful pictures!

Installed a new tap handle in my beer fridge.

Spending a month in Ireland recently, I came to enjoy the daily visits to the local pub to quaff a perfect pint of Guinness. Enjoyed it enough that I decided I should have the same experience at home.

In our last few days there, we were in Dublin and during the obligatory visit to Guinness I learned (and got a certificate to prove it) how to pour the perfect pint of the black stuff.

Putting another tap in was easy, since I already had three. The special part was getting the actual stout tap faucet and then finding a place to get the special gas mixture for dispensing it (75% nitrogen, 25% CO2).

Enjoying one as I type this. :)

Last edited:
The other day I went for a beer and discovered my converted freezer’s digital thermostat had burped and had made two five-gallon beercicles. Not to mention the broken bottle of Prosecco surrounded by Prosecco slurpee, solid bottles of aging imperial stout and barleywine that were going “sssss,” and solid cans of IPA. I spent this morning cleaning all that up after letting it thaw overnight.

I ordered a new thermostat but now the old one seems to be working. Not sure if this is smart but I’m going to see if it continues to work. We had a very brief power glitch the other day, with some clocks flashing and others unaffected, so maybe that’s what caused the problem. Fingers crossed.

Finished going through my work clothes pulling out things to give to Goodwill, and started going through some shelves for more things to get rid of. Found a bag of 1960s-vintage dolls, including a "Baby Secret" doll. Pull her string, and she says various things in a childish whisper:

"Is anyone else awake?"
"Hold me close and whisper."
"I like to sleep with you."
"I like to whisper in the dark."
"I want to tell you something."
"I know a secret. Do you?"
"Will you tell me a story?"
"My name is Baby Secret."
"Don't talk so loud!"
"Let's whisper, pss, pss, pss, pss."
"Listen, what's that?"

Innocent stuff in the 1960s, but today it seems that Baby Secret is high on the list of creepy talking vintage dolls. Unfortunately, that doesn't seem to put her high on the value list.
Now, THAT'S funny! I'm sure there is still a market for those dolls. Sad, but true.

Moved from one campground to another. Walked around a lake. Explored a new town. Ate pizza. Took video of a heron in flight. Did nothing constructive.

I got rid of the old 70s style builder grade mantle that I've hated since we moved in this house. I wanted to replace it after I retired. I was going to just install an off the shelf one to save money but learned that there is none that meets my specs. A custom built one costs too much. So, I went to youtube and found this DIY shaker style. Built it in three days for a fraction @ $110. I intentionally took my time making it since I have more time now albeit limited tools. I don't have a table saw.

Attachments

• old.jpg
    old.jpg
    674.9 KB · Views: 42
  • new.jpg
    new.jpg
    523.7 KB · Views: 46
Today is a good retiree stay home day. Two loads of laundry done. Walked in the neighborhood. Played around on the computer and watched some TV. I am going to make an early lunch for DH and myself and then head out on a few errands. I will make it over to see my Mom and Dad today and take a malt to my Dad. Today is our first really cold day of the season, 37, cloudy and very windy.

I got rid of the old 70s style builder grade mantle that I've hated since we moved in this house. I wanted to replace it after I retired. I was going to just install an off the shelf one to save money but learned that there is none that meets my specs. A custom built one costs too much. So, I went to youtube and found this DIY shaker style. Built it in three days for a fraction @ $110. I intentionally took my time making it since I have more time now albeit limited tools. I don't have a table saw.

Nice! I bet it’s rewarding to have done it with your own hands.

Today, I upgraded my desktop Mac to Mojave. I’m reluctant to go with the just released Catalina. Maybe next year. Next, will need some newer apps, since some of my are ancient and getting senile.

Next, will update DW’s desktop, but need new video card. We’re losing the nice weather here, so it’s a good time to start dealing with this stuff.

Changed the carrier bearing rubber cushion on my f550. So much fun I'm thinking of selling tickets as I have to do DW truck next!

Removed & replaced the caulking on the MB shower pan where it meets the floor and on the tub in the hallway bathroom.

That's enough work for one day.

Yesterday we voted in our state and local elections. It was drizzling, and the line for our precinct was long, but I did it despite my new knee (which is mostly recovered from my total knee replacement surgery by now).

The gentleman in front of me saw my knee scar and walker, and volunteered to let me go before him. Then the gentleman in front of him did the same! Both were seniors like us so I thought that was especially gallant. I love my neighborhood and neighbors. They are the best.

It was still a long wait, but once I had voted there were chairs to sit on while I waited for F to vote. I guess I could have done absentee or early voting, but I like going to the polls on election day for some reason.

Then we went out to lunch, ran some errands, and came home. It's nice to be able to drive again now that sufficient time has passed since that knee surgery. Life is returning to normal, at last.

Went to a jam last night...played from 8 until 1:30. Now just sipping my coffee waiting for the drywall mudder to show up. Once he is done we can paint and then finally put things back in their place. Currently the contents of 3 closets are piled up in the living room while the bedrooms and closets are being rebuilt.

spending the day with SIL and DD for her birthday, and grand baby, who is a month old already. What a blessing.

Yesterday we voted in our state and local elections. It was drizzling, and the line for our precinct was long, but I did it despite my new knee (which is mostly recovered from my total knee replacement surgery by now).

The gentleman in front of me saw my knee scar and walker, and volunteered to let me go before him. Then the gentleman in front of him did the same! Both were seniors like us so I thought that was especially gallant. I love my neighborhood and neighbors. They are the best.

It was still a long wait, but once I had voted there were chairs to sit on while I waited for F to vote. I guess I could have done absentee or early voting, but I like going to the polls on election day for some reason.

Then we went out to lunch, ran some errands, and came home. It's nice to be able to drive again now that sufficient time has passed since that knee surgery. Life is returning to normal, at last.

Glad to hear you are doing well and very mobile, W2R!

I'm still scheduled for hip #2 replacement in mid November. Funny how the pain has subsided after the decision was made to have the surgery! :confused: But, deep inside my pea-sized brain, I just know the arthritis and bone spurs won't go away by themselves. :LOL:

Yesterday, myself and two friends went to the annual Corvette show put on the the Houston Corvette Club here in The Woodlands. Nice cars,...brings back memories of when I had my 1965 Stingray. :(

There's a local free shredding event coming up, and since I don't have access to the industrial shredders at my old office I spent much of the weekend digging through boxes of old paper that should have been destroyed years ago. After putting aside what was worth keeping such as tax returns <7 years old and brokerage statements reflecting the bases of currently-held mutual funds, we filled four copy paper boxes. Some of this stuff went back to the early 1980s, and I feel pretty sheepish that I still had all of it. It was kind of fun looking at my tax return from 1982, but only for a brief moment.

I threw away my old professional engineer's stamps, too. Death to clutter! especially when it reminds me of w*rk.

Took down the blinds, shades, etc. from the window in the master bathroom and painted the window frame. Naturally it's right over the luxury size bath tub, making access harder than just walking up to it. When the paint was dry, put everything back. Next up is pulling the quarter-round from the baseboards, masking & painting, and putting it all back.

I was pleasantly surprised today when I received a copy of Roundhouse magazine from England. In it was a 4 page story of a train trip I took on the Trans Siberian Express..
I showed it to DW, and after reading it, she remarked ,"You're Famous" LOL

Got up at 0500 hours (groan!) to be at the hospital at 0630 for a stress test. They didn't give me any results, but they didn't send me to the emergency room either, so that's good news.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom