What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
We both got our 2nd Moderna shot today. And we heard from our son-in-law that he got his 1st Pfizer shot yesterday. In 1-1/2 month, we will have a get-together dinner to celebrate. I still have venison, lamb, beef tenderloin in the freezer. Hope they don't have bad freezer burns.

we've been dealing with the death of my BIL in Calif. on March 5th, getting him back home to Illinois, the funeral and the aftermath. BIL told nobody anything about anyrhing. we discovered, quite by chance, his trust document (wife and i are succesor trustees) but it's been a daily treasure hunt for his assets. this will be my fourth time either as succesor trustee or doing the legwork for the S.T. at some point we'll be heading to Calif. to clean out his condo and close some loose ends. he was a horder. gonma be fun.

A few years ago, it occurred to me that if something should happen to both of us while traveling, my children would not know of all the accounts where I stashed our money. There are 20 in all.

So, I made a list of all the accounts, and put a file up on a Google shared file, and told them about it. All accounts have them as equal heirs. I do not bother with credit card accounts, but perhaps I should include them also.

With many institutions pushing for paperless these days, it may be tough for a survivor to track down all accounts of the deceased without some statements to look for.

A few years ago, it occurred to me that if something should happen to both of us while traveling, my children would not know of all the accounts where I stashed our money. There are 20 in all.

So, I made a list of all the accounts, and put a file up on a Google shared file, and told them about it.

FWIW, Fidelity offers a nice service along those lines.

Secure, free document storage from Fidelity

We both got our 2nd Moderna shot today. And we heard from our son-in-law that he got his 1st Pfizer shot yesterday. In 1-1/2 month, we will have a get-together dinner to celebrate. I still have venison, lamb, beef tenderloin in the freezer. Hope they don't have bad freezer burns.

So, I made a list of all the accounts, and put a file up on a Google shared file, and told them about it. All accounts have them as equal heirs. I do not bother with credit card accounts, but perhaps I should include them also.

With many institutions pushing for paperless these days, it may be tough for a survivor to track down all accounts of the deceased without some statements to look for.
Sounds great and it is something to celebrate about. Did you harvest that venison yourself?

I also need to put together an information package for my son also. Great idea.

I’d seen this service mentioned here (e-r.org) but hadn’t yet tried it out. I’ve now created an account and intend to use it to share documents among siblings, family-related financial type things. Not my personal info yet until I get more experience.

Signup was easy and fast.

Thanks for the memory jog!

Unless a raking motion is considered a step by an Apple Watch, I put in 8.3 miles doing yard cleanup and controlled burn.

^ that is a great day of outdoor exercise, whatever the true miles might be.

Yard work works every muscle in the body.

I notice that too. Today I put down two large bags of grass seed overseeding the yard. It's supposed to rain tonight/tomorrow so I hope that helps get it started.

I made a post office run to mail some hard-copy 8x10 copies of a family gathering from a year and a half ago to a relative who is older than me. "Internet? Whazzat? Never heard of it." Anyway, on the way back home I noticed the forsythia bushes blooming and that's the cue for springtime yard work to start.

In a bit of cautious optimism I moved the snow blower from the garage to the shed. I very pointedly did NOT do any maintenance items in preparation for summer storage, I can very easily move it right back where it was and it's ready to fire up. But I was working outside in a t-shirt so it's kind of hard to think we might see any snow between now and December at the soonest. I have learned the hard way though that is it unwise to "put the snow blower to bed" too soon lest the snow gods be angered.:)

Speaking of snow... If the weather is nice tomorrow and the next day I may be able to get down to my motor home if enough snow melts. I am running out of clean clothes and medicine. I am not used to roughing it without a snow plow and we have had a series of heavy shows over the last few weeks. The plow truck needs a transmission so it will likely not be back to plowing until next fall. More snow is predicted for next Tuesday.

Today I finished rolling primer paint on the upper level of my house. I still have to use a brush on all the corners. The dry waller primed the walls and ceilings with 10 gallons before he textured. I am doing another 10 gallons of primer over the texture. Then two coats of final paint for a total of around 40 gallons. That seems like a lot of paint for 1000 sq ft.

Had a skiff of snow over night, so I stayed around home for the first time in months. It is very dry here, with no snow all winter, except for a dusting a few times. No measurable amount of rain since July of 2020.

This afternoon I shot my bow, for the up coming turkey season.

Had a skiff of snow over night, so I stayed around home for the first time in months. It is very dry here, with no snow all winter, except for a dusting a few times. No measurable amount of rain since July of 2020.

We have been through some pretty dry years lately so it is nice to have some snow here this season. I hope things improve where you are at.

Last edited:
Hermit >> I worry about wildfires for everyone and for the ranch. We have had fires all winter and that is unheard of for us during winter months.
No water if the cricks because no run off, no water to irrigate this spring so far. Next couple months are going to to be very critical.

Last edited:
Wishing you abundant rainfall this spring. I've been to Montana and have seen how dry it can be.

DIY day today. I painted the kitchen...not a lot of square feet but had to tape around the cabinets and remove the fridge. And I removed the casing from 3 openings as it will all be replaced with a different style. Then I decided to replace all the old wall plugs with new ones. Also measured very, very carefully, drilled holes, and put handles on the new kitchen island.

We ran an errand to a nearby town, and wandered some new back roads for us.
We found this castle
PXL-20210327-202955964.jpg

It was a good day for viewing the mountain
PXL-20210327-203643970.jpg

I never heard of a "skiff" of snow. Learned a new term today.

Dry here in northern Illinois also. The water level in the lake behind our house is 8" below normal for this time of year.

We ran an errand to a nearby town, and wandered some new back roads for us.
We found this castle

It was a good day for viewing the mountain

Neat photos! That cloud (I think it's called a lenticular, or "lennie") looks like a Clark Y airfoil, a type of airplane wing. We don't see those around here.

Our darling pug Zoey was diagnosed with cancer 10 days ago. We were going back and forth between thinking we'd need to put her down in a couple of days to thinking she'd last another month or two.

Well, Friday she started having trouble breathing, and was coughing a nasty kennel cough sounding thing. But she was still happy, walking around, eating, wagging her tail. Friday night I didn't sleep at all, with dozens of scenarios of having to have her put to sleep running through my brain. But Saturday started out good, and she seemed mostly OK. But she didn't eat her dinner, and by 11 pm I was calling the emergency vet about bringing her in. But 5 minutes later, she shuddered, wagged her tail once, and stopped breathing in our arms.

I have been crying off and on since then, mostly worried about her sister from the same litter who we thought would go first. She's got arthritis, and is blind and deaf. She keeps looking sort of lost, but dogs are better at dealing with change than humans are.

So right now, life sort of sucks. But time will help. I didn't even want these dogs nearly 15 years ago, but luckily, and as usual, DW didn't pay any attention to my wishes. They've been the best companions I've ever had, and have made me laugh every day for over 14 years. Until this weekend. But I'll always be thankful she went at home without making us make that horrible (if often necessary) decision.

It says that you can designate some files to be released only in case of your death. That's nice, but it is not clear if this service is only for Fidel's customers, which I am not.

In the Google file that I shared with my children, I listed info for all accounts, so that they know how/where to claim inheritance to all the assets. Of course, I did not show any account balance, and only told them verbally that the total is in the 7-figure, which I suspect that they know already. :)

Sounds great and it is something to celebrate about. Did you harvest that venison yourself?

I also need to put together an information package for my son also. Great idea.

No, I have never hunted, nor even caught any fish my life. :)

The venison I have in the fridge is store-bought Cervena Elk, farm-raised in New Zealand.

Last edited:
I threw away a broken starter pistol, like they use to start horse races, that was painted black and given to my father for protection by a weird friend of his. He gave it to me and I finally decided on a method of disposal. I wrapped it in cardboard, put it in a plastic bag, taped it shut, and threw it in a park garbage can. In the same bag was a small piece of particleboard, about 1-1/2" x 5", that I was afraid to throw in the compactor shoot because I was already fined once for violating the "no wood or solid objects" rule.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom