What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Dental checkup, all is well.

Mangos are in. Picked a dozen beauties this morning. A bit green, they’ll need some more time to ripen, but I ate one and it was tasty. Probably another 40 or so in the tree, we’ll see how many we can get.

^^^ We do not have mango trees.

But at $1 for 3 at a local market, we are not missing out either.

Dug in 30 feet of sprinkler pipe yesterday and installed the fittings and head. Today I set the motion and distance I needed for this added sprinkler. Watered garden, took a couple of bike rides, checked minnow traps and took a short nap. Tonight I will some more fencing to the ranch. It was to hot today (80) so will wait till this evening.

Mangos are in. Picked a dozen beauties this morning. A bit green, they’ll need some more time to ripen, but I ate one and it was tasty. Probably another 40 or so in the tree, we’ll see how many we can get.
Wonderful!

Having grown up (mostly) in Hawaii, I do love mangos. However I usually limit myself to 1-2 mangos/day since I am susceptible to mango rash, which is not terrible but bad for my self image. :LOL:

A week or so ago, we went to a place that had bocce courts. It was private by reservation. I mentioned to DW that there was a similar French game called Petanque.
Well, that was all it took, she went on line to find out about it, and discovered a group that played 10 miles away. So, I ordered a $25 set of balls, or boules (in French), but found out they were not marked properly for 2 players. I cancelled the order, and ordered the proper balls, that were $55.
I then bought some sprinkler flags to mark the course.
DW had found a perfect place to play near the pool, so we set up our "day camp". First a relaxing soak in the hot tub, then I marked the course with the flags, and set up folding director chairs and a table. We also printed a set of the rules to do it right.

So we tried a couple of throws to get the hang of it, then invited the Park Manager to try. That was to get her buy in on what we were doing.
Next time we will play first, then hit the spa.

A week or so ago, we went to a place that had bocce courts. It was private by reservation. I mentioned to DW that there was a similar French game called Petanque.
Well, that was all it took, she went on line to find out about it, and discovered a group that played 10 miles away. So, I ordered a $25 set of balls, or boules (in French), but found out they were not marked properly for 2 players. I cancelled the order, and ordered the proper balls, that were $55.
I then bought some sprinkler flags to mark the course.
DW had found a perfect place to play near the pool, so we set up our "day camp". First a relaxing soak in the hot tub, then I marked the course with the flags, and set up folding director chairs and a table. We also printed a set of the rules to do it right.

So we tried a couple of throws to get the hang of it, then invited the Park Manager to try. That was to get her buy in on what we were doing.
Next time we will play first, then hit the spa.

I did not know the word petanque, and knew of this game as boules.

It's quite popular in Provence.

I got the shade sail from Amazon late yesterday, and put it up this morning. I like it, but the 16'x16'x16' equilateral-triangle sail covers just a small portion of the pool. So, my wife and I agreed to put up a second one of 20'x20'x20' to get some more shade.

My grandniece came over in the afternoon as she has been doing ever since we got vaccinated, and I swam with her. With the pool water still being fresh (pool refilled last week or so), I did not even have to take a shower afterward to rinse off.

We finished our backyard lighting project today. We installed 24 LED lights (12 watts each) using two transformers. We bought a total of 42 lights and plan to install the remaining 18 in our front yard. This DYI project saved us a bundle versus hiring a company to do the job.

Attachments

• P1486604.jpg
    P1486604.jpg
    499.9 KB · Views: 55
  • P1486606.jpg
    P1486606.jpg
    364.7 KB · Views: 54
  • P1486620.jpg
    P1486620.jpg
    461.2 KB · Views: 50
  • P1486617.jpg
    P1486617.jpg
    337.1 KB · Views: 48
  • P1486610.jpg
    P1486610.jpg
    412.2 KB · Views: 48
  • P1486621.jpg
    P1486621.jpg
    299.1 KB · Views: 50
Raced mountain bike last night. Got the hole shot off the starting line … guy in the lead at the first turn … but then was passed a little that lap by the usual faster guys. Finished a respectable 8th. Am happy with anything in the top ten.

Hitting the gym as usual this morning, more tree pruning is on the schedule mid-day, and the day will wrap up with a bike ride and grocery shopping.

Changed the oil on my Nissan Frontier. I am mechanically-challenged, but a friend taught me how to do this job after I retired. I get some some enjoyment out of doing it myself and saving some money.

The submersible pump in our well gave out and I had it replaced, along with a leaking pipe and bad float switch in the water tank. Third time I've replaced that pump since drilling the well 23 years ago.

Next time one of my friends in town tells me how lucky I am to be able to use all the water I want and never get a bill I'm going to show them a copy of this invoice.

Putzed around a bit with the R/C airplane under construction. I fiberglassed the three wing joints (sailplane with a long wingspan) and a joint in the fuselage that I think is a weak point. The resin takes 24 hours to fully cure so there wasn't much else I could do with it until then.

Went to the drugstore to pick up a couple of prescriptions and then to Home Depot to get some fertilizer. Walked in, saw a horrendously long line (about 10-12 people) then turned around and left. I was going to just order it online but HD doesn't deliver that product for some reason. So I ordered the same stuff on Amazon that was a few pennies cheaper even with free delivery.

Went Jeep shopping. Local dealer has nothing. But had a good chat with the salesman that I bought my truck from in 2017. I'm going to have to venture farther out. Need the Jeep as a transition vehicle until my Bronco comes in. Trading my 2001 Corvette - I've had it 20 good years but it is time for a change.

Continued workshop decluttering by selling my jointer. Lathe next. I want to get to the point where I make everything with hand tools. This will eventually transcend into the Blow That Dough tread.

I finished up a little job at work, and now i am gearing up and loading my truck to go do a bunch of work at my sisters this weekend.
She bought the family home from mom 20 years ago, and they had a fire about 16 years ago. That one had an accidental cause.
Friday they had another fire :(
They were away and no pets or people were harmed, but I think it was the heat pump wiring that was the start.
I am digging up the septic and running pipe for sewer and water for an RV, they will stay on the property while the house is rebuilt from the floor up.
I arranged for a rental excavator to be delivered and will bring all the tools, laser, chainsaw, lumber for a deck, handrail, blocking for the RV. The usual load out :)

Didn't work on kitchen today ----

Drove into SF. Went to Crissy Fields to play ball with kids & dog. Then walked through Fort Mason to Fisherman's Wharf for late lunch at Boudins (bought souvenir bread), listened to street musicians, watched street artists (biker was GOOD), onto Ghirardelli Square for hot fudge & caramel sundaes (yes bought souvenir chocolates), ubered back to Crissy Fields and headed home at 6.
View attachment 38944View attachment 38945View attachment 38946

I haven’t checked this topic in a while. Just want to say to gayl that you have a beautiful family!

The submersible pump in our well gave out and I had it replaced, along with a leaking pipe and bad float switch in the water tank. Third time I've replaced that pump since drilling the well 23 years ago.

Next time one of my friends in town tells me how lucky I am to be able to use all the water I want and never get a bill I'm going to show them a copy of this invoice.

That well water is only "free" if you have some solar panels for electricity to feed that pump. That's what I would do, as you have so much land there and no neighbor houses or trees to cause shading.

That well water is only "free" if you have some solar panels for electricity to feed that pump. That's what I would do, as you have so much land there and no neighbor houses or trees to cause shading.

I've considered it but when I run the numbers it says I'd have to live to age 95 to break even since our kWh cost is so low.

And how do you know we don't have trees to cause shading? You been spying on me? :cool:

I've considered it but when I run the numbers it says I'd have to live to age 95 to break even since our kWh cost is so low.

And how do you know we don't have trees to cause shading? You been spying on me? :cool:

Nah, solar panels are so cheap, plus it's not hard to wire something up yourself. Out in the boondocks, one can just lay the panels on the ground, tilted up with some cinder blocks and you are done.

About trees, one just has to drive through Texas to see that there are no stinkin' trees.

Just celebrated my birthday with a long leisure lunch and just 4 friends. Then picked up GS3s library books, played ball until it started to rain. Yes. Rain. In California

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom