What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Got the berth at the marina all signed up, nice one too. Faces the river and not around the back side so docking will be easy and stress free. Within easy sight of the office and the security cameras which I really like as I had a boat stolen and stripped before which was no fun.

Also close to the launch ramp which is not anything I need as my boat dude does all the trailering in and out, but should be good entertainment watching the weekend drunks trying to load up their gear. Other than that, it's smoky again here, winds have shifted so's I'mma stayin' inside - :)

Got the berth at the marina all signed up, nice one too. Faces the river and not around the back side so docking will be easy and stress free. Within easy sight of the office and the security cameras which I really like as I had a boat stolen and stripped before which was no fun.

Also close to the launch ramp which is not anything I need as my boat dude does all the trailering in and out, but should be good entertainment watching the weekend drunks trying to load up their gear. Other than that, it's smoky again here, winds have shifted so's I'mma stayin' inside - :)
Sounds like a great berth. Do you get to pick them or are they assigned to you?

... His Fiesta is terrific, reliable, does not leak when it rains like his Murano did, and best of all it uses almost no gas.

An expensive SUV that leaked? Who would have thunk?

Sounds like a great berth. Do you get to pick them or are they assigned to you?

You get to pick what's available. So I had my choice of the one I picked or the one behind it. Office gal told me about the cameras, easy decision even though the far one is closer to the gang way.

Ah, hurricanes. Always an adventure, right? :(

Just 5 days ago in this thread, I was commenting on what a light hurricane season this had been,
but that sure changed quickly. Guess I jinxed it.

Praying for your safety. Sounds like you’re well prepared and have evacuation plans. Hope all is well after landfall. Take care.

Last edited:
Yesterday...a busy day for me. I had brunch with a friend, got a massage, and then we spent the afternoon waiting for the cable guy. They wanted to check our lines for "noise" whatever that means.

Then I went to our local high school football game. I think the last football game I attended was in 1976. My youngest granddaughter is a freshman and she made the dance team so we all have something to watch for a few years. It was hot here yesterday so it was still in the mid 80's at the football stadium.

Today I am looking forward to more down time and lunch with my Mom and sis.

I went to a concert last night (a friend had a last minute extra ticket) and it was fun but I stayed out too late. This morning we're hurricane prepping which is never a lot of fun, but even less than usual this morning. My parents are sheltering at my house so we will be bursting at the seams. Lots of cleaning, cooking and grocery shopping today. The stores will be crazy.

This is a busy weekend for us.
Yesterday the 1=800-Junk folks came and hauled off the old furniture, today carpet cleaner was in to steam clean the 30 year old carpet--it looks brand new again! It has remained in good shape over the years, cost us a bundle back then, but has proven its worth.
Tomorrow the new furniture arrives. Looking forward to it.
All workers wore masks and limited direct contact, in and out quickly.

New deck furniture, New drapes, New Living room furniture crossed off my 5 year home improvement plan this summer! :)

Put down weed killer where needed this morning, then stayed inside the rest of the day - too hot & humid to do anything outside.

I patched a tube on my bike and stayed around the house and yard. I mowed and watered lawn. A beautiful 70 degree day and will go out and scout for deer this evening.

Picked up dropped peaches and apples to keep the bees and hornets at bay. Downside of having lots of fruit trees. On the up side, played all day with my one year old GS who is quarantined with us and his mom while we wait to get our firefighter/medic son tested for COVID-19.

Enjoyed some cooler weather. Had a wonderful BLT for dinner using one of the last of our Mortgage Lifter tomatoes.

Enjoyed some cooler weather. Had a wonderful BLT for dinner using one of the last of our Mortgage Lifter tomatoes.
I just looked them up and I am intrigued. I only have room for 4 plants, and we do not do any canning, so that is enough for the 2 of us. I may see if I can get one for next year,

I just looked them up and I am intrigued. I only have room for 4 plants, and we do not do any canning, so that is enough for the 2 of us. I may see if I can get one for next year,
They are big, meaty and tasty. Very few, small pockets of seeds. And the plants were quite productive.

I installed a Mr Cool 24K BTU mini-split heat pump the last few days. I still need to do some touch up painting inside, and paint the line cover outside to match the siding. Otherwise it seems to be working well. I'm not sure if we'll get any more hot days this year to test out the AC cooling, but it has done a fine job of keeping our house warm in the heating mode. Granted, it hasn't been that cold outside, but the indoor temperature has remained very steady.

Attachments

• 2021-08-23 155400 - Installing Mr Cool Mini Split Heat Pump Air Conditioner.jpg
    2021-08-23 155400 - Installing Mr Cool Mini Split Heat Pump Air Conditioner.jpg
    234.9 KB · Views: 57
  • 2021-08-25 153802 - Installing Mr Cool Mini Split Heat Pump Air Conditioner.jpg
    2021-08-25 153802 - Installing Mr Cool Mini Split Heat Pump Air Conditioner.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 53
  • 2021-08-25 153901 - Installing Mr Cool Mini Split Heat Pump Air Conditioner.jpg
    2021-08-25 153901 - Installing Mr Cool Mini Split Heat Pump Air Conditioner.jpg
    248.3 KB · Views: 53
My mother-in-law hired a company to remove the old crumbling chimney from her house. They did a really poor job of patching the hole left behind in the soffit, just screwing a piece of plywood underneath. So I tried to make a more appropriate fix.

I couldn't find matching trim or siding materials for her 100 year old house, so I milled up my own from lumber I had sitting around. It's not perfect, but close enough, and certainly looks better than the plywood sheet they used. Nothing is square or level with that house so it took some work to try and blend the new materials.

I still need to prime and repaint everything the next time we visit in a week or two.

Attachments

• 2021-08-16 102103 - Chimney being removed at the Clark house.jpg
    2021-08-16 102103 - Chimney being removed at the Clark house.jpg
    290.1 KB · Views: 46
  • 2021-08-28 151800 - Repairing wall and soffit from old chimney at the Clark house.jpg
    2021-08-28 151800 - Repairing wall and soffit from old chimney at the Clark house.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 49
  • 2021-08-28 151802 - Repairing wall and soffit from old chimney at the Clark house.jpg
    2021-08-28 151802 - Repairing wall and soffit from old chimney at the Clark house.jpg
    217.7 KB · Views: 47
We went to "The Wedge" at Newport Beach (Balboa Peninsula) to see the high surf. I shot some video and we enjoyed the fresh air. There were a lot of photographers and surfers there today. We then ate brunch at Balboa Village which was really nice.

My son is obsessed about wanting to surf there. He was talking about The Wedge the week before he took off for his European adventure... and mentioned this morning (he got home from Europe last night) that he wants to surf there before he heads to college in 2 weeks. Obsessed.

I installed a Mr Cool 24K BTU mini-split heat pump the last few days...

Hey, look at that!

Yes, I would paint over the white line set cover to make it blend into the siding of the house.

Perhaps you will find a place to mount another mini-split for another room. It's not that hard a job. :)

Last edited:
Yes, I would paint over the white line set cover to make it blend into the siding of the house.

I don't know if it's necessary, but I bought a primer for plastic I'm planning to apply before painting. I also bought a grey paint for the horizontal sections that run along the foundation wall. Hopefully everything will blend better once it's all painted, but it honestly doesn't stand out as much as I thought it would. By placing the outdoor unit back behind the stairs, it's almost completely hidden when driving down the driveway. It also allowed me to avoid the coiled up line sets typical with Mr Cool installs.

Perhaps you will find a place to mount another mini-split for another room. It's not that hard a job. :)

Honestly, I don't think another one would be needed. So far the mini-split has been able to maintain a steady temperature throughout our entire 1456 sq/ft house. If that keeps up during the winter it will be a major energy savings over our electric wall heaters.

Our bedroom is furthest away from the mini-split and runs a degree or two cooler, but I generally prefer cooler temps for sleeping anyway.

It took me about three days to complete the install, mostly because I'm picky about the little details. I had to modify our back stairs in order to run the line set behind them, that took the better part of an afternoon. I also caulked all the gaps and seams in the line set covers. They really didn't fit together very well, with lots of places for bugs and water to get in. It also took me an afternoon to install a new breaker and run a cable in the crawlspace to the new disconnect box. Thankfully I installed several runs of conduit from the breaker panel to the crawlspace when we built the house, so that section was easy.

It will be interesting to see how this unit performs over the winter. Hopefully it will last for many years.

This started Thursday. Our son and DIL were expecting their 2nd son, due date Sept 17th, with a C-section scheduled for Sept 12th. DIL started intermittent light labor on Thursday and they went to the hospital Friday but she wasn't making progress so they sent them home. We had our grandson, 2yrs 9 mo old, with us while they handle all this.

Then late Friday night we got the call, labor has intensified and they are headed to the hospital again. We are just 5 minutes away so I went over there for the night to be with our grandson. I tried to get some sleep but they were texting with updates and who can sleep through such excitement! When our grandson got up I told him that mommy and daddy went to the hospital so the doctors could help his baby brother come out. Also, that he's coming over to our house ALL DAY! Oh boy, he loves being at our house so this was great fun for him.

DIL's labor progressed well and she didn't need the C-section at all. Baby was born Saturday morning at 11:38 am, 5lb, 8oz. A few weeks early and a little small but very healthy! Between texting and FaceTime we had plenty of updates, pictures and tears!

I got asked to pick up some preemie diapers and onesies, etc since they don't have any stuff small enough for him from his brother. I had too much fun shopping and I know I overbought but I was just walking on clouds with the biggest smile on my face!

I was able to visit them in the hospital yesterday. He's a lovely little bundle, there's nothing like a newborn baby in your arms. They expect to come home later today. His name is Luka.

Attachments

• IMG_-0172.jpeg
    IMG_-0172.jpeg
    124.4 KB · Views: 40
I was able to visit them in the hospital yesterday. He's a lovely little bundle, there's nothing like a newborn baby in your arms. They expect to come home later today. His name is Luka.

Beautiful baby, thanks for sharing the photo. Congratulations!

This started Thursday. Our son and DIL were expecting their 2nd son...

A quick look at the posted photo, and my "superior memory" reminded me of an earlier similar photo you posted. And indeed, this is now your 2nd grandson. Congrats.

My grandnephew just turned 1 month old. According to my niece's wish, we are waiting for 2 weeks past our TDAP shot before we can go visit them. Meanwhile, my niece and her husband have been sharing photos of the boy.

Kids are wonderful. There must be a reason people smile when looking at their photos.

This started Thursday. Our son and DIL were expecting their 2nd son, due date Sept 17th, with a C-section scheduled for Sept 12th. DIL started intermittent light labor on Thursday and they went to the hospital Friday but she wasn't making progress so they sent them home. We had our grandson, 2yrs 9 mo old, with us while they handle all this.

Then late Friday night we got the call, labor has intensified and they are headed to the hospital again. We are just 5 minutes away so I went over there for the night to be with our grandson. I tried to get some sleep but they were texting with updates and who can sleep through such excitement! When our grandson got up I told him that mommy and daddy went to the hospital so the doctors could help his baby brother come out. Also, that he's coming over to our house ALL DAY! Oh boy, he loves being at our house so this was great fun for him.

DIL's labor progressed well and she didn't need the C-section at all. Baby was born Saturday morning at 11:38 am, 5lb, 8oz. A few weeks early and a little small but very healthy! Between texting and FaceTime we had plenty of updates, pictures and tears!

I got asked to pick up some preemie diapers and onesies, etc since they don't have any stuff small enough for him from his brother. I had too much fun shopping and I know I overbought but I was just walking on clouds with the biggest smile on my face!

Beautiful!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom