What did you do today? - 2021 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Taking my brother to the airport to go up North to visit family for 3.5 weeks, then vacation next week.
Good break for us.

I just got back home from my 40th year reunion at the U.S. Naval Academy, having gone down to Annapolis on Thursday. Although the football team was crushed by Marshall yesterday, I had a very good time reconnecting with old friends and catching up on their lives. Some are still working; many are retired. The kids are off on their own and some are spoiling grandchildren.

We are older and grayer and have traveled many paths in our lives, but when we sat down to share a meal and a drink, it was if we were picking up the conversation we left off yesterday, not 40 years ago. I think the very intense and stressful time we spent together all those years ago produced a stronger bond than most formed in college.

I'm glad I went and glad that so many of my classmates also answered the call.

Last edited:
That is awesome Gumby!! I always enjoy seeing and talking to old friends.

and my battery powered electric pole saw. After about an hour of finagling around with it, which included a trip to his place to get a short extension ladder.

I love stories that include climbing on a ladder with a chainsaw. What could possibly go wrong? :LOL:

I drove up to my high-country home yesterday. My children went up too. I made Adana kebab, and it was a success this time. The single trick is that I have to knead the meat, so that it becomes sticky. I should have used more spices and seasonings, and was not entirely happy with it, but my children loved it.

Our new 5G Samsung A32 phones work great up here, compared to the old Nexus 5 phones, even though there's still no 5G service up here. As suspected, the old phone is capable of 4G LTE, but not the many new frequency bands that have opened up, and that's the reason we had no coverage up here.

So glad you got to spend some time at your second home, with your kids!

I love my new Samsung Galaxy A32 5G phone, too, and I'm glad to hear that it did so well up there in the mountains.

We went to Walgreens here in West Memphis, today. It was nice to get out of the motel, although I did not get out of my Venza since I have a cough (and don't want to terrorize anybody).

My granddaughter (15 yo just accepted at magnet charter school) is moving in. DD leaves for work at 4am. She'd have to be dropped off with me so she asked if she can just stay when her mom works and get up at 7 for school. That's Sa / Su / M / W nights. She's quiet. There goes my guest room. No guests [emoji16] except the rare times when 24yo GS stays over (I'm gone & he watches Koda)

I love stories that include climbing on a ladder with a chainsaw. What could possibly go wrong? :LOL:

Well, this chainsaw was at the end of about a 12 foot pole (polesaw) so I figured the damage I could do to myself with it was limited.

Today I started assembly on a 2.5 meter sailplane that FedEx delivered unexpectedly two days early. Gotta give credit where it's due!

Finished up the sailplane assembly and applying all the decals so it's ready for it's first test flight.

And somewhat to my surprise, the airplane that spent Hurricane Ida in a tree is functionally undamaged! It sure looks like it went through a hurricane but everything seems to work just fine so that's another test flight coming up.

I started on mowing the back yard and DW got out her lawnmower and did the front. So I told her "True love is when she helps you cut the grass.":smitten:

Hiked the four miles of woods and prairie. Roasted a pound of coffee for the week. Order 25 lbs of green coffee for the next six months. Watched Hell or High Water. Grilled a burger to go with half a bag of salad. Mowed the lawn. Reading the forum with a glass of Kalamazoo Stout.

This is my version of bachelor week while my wife visits with daughter in California.

Slept in to make up for two days on a hard cot sleeping on the truck bed. That happened quite naturally, the sleeping in thing. It used to be difficult.
I took the company truck over to a friend's place and he pressured up the cooling system to help me find a leak. It was a plastic quick connector that split under the stress of some really heavy towing up some steep grades. I got the part and replaced it. Now pondering ( really the other P-word) installing the new thermostats on the RV water heater. We had lukewarm water on the last outing.

Took it easy today as it was 98 F out. Tomorrow AM is dental surgery day for my new implant. Can't wait...:(

Well, this chainsaw was at the end of about a 12 foot pole (polesaw) so I figured the damage I could do to myself with it was limited.

Today I started assembly on a 2.5 meter sailplane that FedEx delivered unexpectedly two days early. Gotta give credit where it's due!

I highly recommend those pole saws in the quest to stay off ladders. We have the greenworks brand and use it more then we expected.

Got to my fun part-time job yesterday morning only to find the door open and my office trashed.

I work testing construction material and the “office” is a shipping container at a job site loaded down with testing equipment.

Thought it was vandalism, until I saw the claw marks on the cabinets now laying on the floor. A bear foraged through my workspace overnight searching for food. Bear got into my co-workers beef jerky and several energy drinks. Clean up took an hour.

So now we have a pumped and we’ll fed bear on the prowl at the site!

Yesterday I moved back to the main house after spending the summer at our mountain house. We will still spend time up there, but in small doses.

This morning I cleaned the inside of my RAV4 to remove the evidence of a summer spent playing in the river and woods. I took out the rubber floor mats and hosed them clean, vacuumed, wiped the mud off the interior of the doors and cleaned the windows. It was kind of funny when we purchased the vehicle; the salesman apologized for the rubber floor mats and offered to see if there were carpet mats in a different vehicle on the lot so we could trade. I nixed that right away, as we routinely drag mud into the car with us.

Took the pup in to get the sutures removed from being spayed and her elizabethian collar removed. Happy puppy.

Went down to the river planning on walking the riverwalk the pup was excited but the old dog said no thanks. Even though she's only 16 pounds carrying her too far is out of the question. So a short walk to a little bluff overlooking the river and some fun watching the day go by.

A woman had a young lab mix in the river. That dog went nuts chasing its tail, a good 10 minutes it went full spin ahead with the base of its tail in its mouth! I haven't seen that much tail chasing since I retired from Megacorp with vultures circling as they were in the middle of being acquired.

A woman had a young lab mix in the river. That dog went nuts chasing its tail, a good 10 minutes it went full spin ahead with the base of its tail in its mouth! I haven't seen that much tail chasing since I retired from Megacorp with vultures circling as they were in the middle of being acquired.

Enjoyed the word picture about the dog chasing it’s tail in the river. Sounds like a very fun moment. And I enjoyed the humorous megacorp tail reference also!

Unexpected package in the mail today from my best friend in Vietnam. We were there together 50 years ago and he sent me some photos from back then and through the years since. We have maintained a close friendship over a half century despite almost never being in the same state at the same time. Basically the older brother I never had. Kind of brought tears to my eyes, since he's getting pretty frail these days.

Good luck! Hope the surgery goes well.

Thanks, surgery went well, no pain and bleeding stopped in a few hours afterward.

Now waiting a few weeks for the check up and new front tooth impression to be made. I expect to have the new front tooth by my 78th birthday in early October! :cool:

When I let the puppy outside I watched as it made a new friend. DW came out and we watched as the young buck and the puppy checked each other out. The pup started growling and barking at the deer who was amused but didn't care. View attachment 40214 20210909_082804.jpg

Thought it was vandalism, until I saw the claw marks on the cabinets now laying on the floor. A bear foraged through my workspace overnight searching for food.

Wow, Vintage, that would freak me out! I actually saw a bear in person (outside of a zoo) for the first time just last week. It was casually walking through my friend's back yard, gave us all quite a start. Luckily we were inside her house, because that bear was only about ten feet away from us.

When I let the puppy outside I watched as it made a new friend. DW came out and we watched as the young buck and the puppy checked each other out. The pup started growling and barking at the deer who was amused but didn't care. View attachment 40214View attachment 40215

That is awesome. "Our" deer could care less about our dogs...they just take a quick glance and then go back to work.

That is awesome. "Our" deer could care less about our dogs...they just take a quick glance and then go back to work.

We had a cat that was so utterly fearless that she would walk right up to a deer and hold a staring contest from two feet away. The deer generally blinked first.

Just had to comment on the exciting days everyone has! Lol I really like following this thread.
Thanks

Last edited:
Bought an electric 16" tiller/cultivator and broke ground for a new garden area next spring. Worked much better than expectedIMG_20210906_170512881_HDR.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom