What did you do today? - 2022 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
This morning I wrote down some numbers on the back of an envelope for building materials for the tentative ~3000 S.F. two story home build.
For framing, subfloor, roof and all the sheeting, sheet rock, interior walls I came up with ~$58000 in basic materials, not counting a couple of glu-lams and all the fasteners and tape and mud.
I had penciled in the expensive pre-membraned wall sheathing so I would not need to tyvek it to dry it in. The roof I did not, but I could double back and add ~$2000 to go that route.
It is early yet but fun to get an idea of the budget to dry it in.

Happy Mothers Day to all the Moms on the forum!
Spent yesterday with DGS and DD, today DS is coming over for lunch.

Today was dry enough to mow the front half of the yard. And not too soon either, with the 2.5 inches of rain we just received over the last two days.

I've been trying to swim at least every other day. We have St. Andrew park near our home, it has a swimming area, two sides are sandy beach, one side is large boulders put in to isolate a shipping lane from the swimming area. The forth side has an opening into the Bay. The size is about 1200ft long and 300ft from the beach to the rocks. It is nick named the kiddie pool, but is great for all ages.

The water gets a little over 8ft deep at high tide. Because of the way it is sheltered, the water is generally very calm. Lots of fish to see when snorkeling!
My kids were home for Mothers day and we had a family swim, it was a great time.

Attachments

• Kiddie pool.jpg
    Kiddie pool.jpg
    68.7 KB · Views: 65
  • Kiddie pool 1.jpg
    Kiddie pool 1.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 59
Sold a few things at a garage sale, went for a bike ride, cleared an atv trail and found a deer antler shed

You had an awesome day! Lol Those are some of my most exciting days in the spring hiking for sheds.

I had a hard time making up my mind to go hiking or ranch. I settled on the ranch and took care of some trees that got broken down pretty bad from the heavy snow we got a month ago. I think I will need install the electric fencer to keep the deer in check with the aspens.

All the kids were here for Mother’s Day and to help us move the large furniture into storage or the garage. It sure was a big help to have two strong men (our sons-in-law) to do the bulk of the work. DH supervised and DD1 was in charge of using her Tetris skills to fit everything we wanted in storage. DD2 and I were in charge of food, toddler, and puppy.

After everyone left I listed our large solid oak bedroom set on Facebook Marketplace, and sold it half an hour later.

We are living like college students for a while — mattress on the floor and folding chairs for seating.

DH and I got our 2nd COVID boosters today at the CVS in our nearby Target because it had Moderna while the one we usually go to only had Pfizer. All 4 of DH's have been Moderna; my first 3 were Pfizer but I decided to mix it up this time. So far no effects. Bought some new bathmats while doing our 15-minute post-shot wait. Then went to Torchy's Tacos for outdoor lunch. Yum. Spent the afternoon researching estate lawyers - our previous lawyer retired several years ago and our documents haven't been updated since our now over-30 kids were in middle school. So it's time.

Water heater started leaking from the drain valve last night. Called the plumber that installed in 16 months ago at 1 AM. The said shut off the water to the unit, and the leak mostly stopped. Called them this morning and had a hard time understanding what the woman at the plumber was saying. Saying there is a parts only warranty now, yes I know. She said call Rheem for the part, or maybe they will give you a new unit. Then said she would call them for me.

While waiting I saw the light was flashing for normal operation and the water dripping out was hot. Though maybe the crummy plastic valve was bad. Rather than wait and try to get a free part I went and bought a new metal valve and diy the job. $22. Forget the warranty.

Yay, me. :LOL:

A very welcoming rain today so just hanging out and watching the rain. I have always enjoyed rainy day as a kid and still do.
Yesterday late day went ovah to ranch and picked wild asparagus did some dirt work and leveling.
Aspens are doing well with some deer damage but has stopped since I sheep fenced around them.
So much wildlife was out last evening it was a joy to just sit back and watch. The beautiful rain will do miracles for my newly planted alfalfa and native grass.

Still recovering a bit from our trip last week to visit family so today is low key. Exercise this morning, then a little cleaning downstairs this afternoon.

The water pump for my 52 Chevy arrived couple days before I expected, so spent part of the day putting the new water pump on. Old cars you need to order stuff, most parts are not stocked at local auto parts stores. I used Rockauto for ordering the pump, along with new radiator hoses. Much easier to work on this than most new cars with transverse engines. Rest of day was spent completing the opening of the pool for the season, which was mostly just checking filters and cleaning the pool robot filters. Amazing how much dirt and other junk gets in the water over winter even though I have a safety cover on it.

Water heater started leaking from the drain valve last night. Called the plumber that installed in 16 months ago at 1 AM. The said shut off the water to the unit, and the leak mostly stopped. Called them this morning and had a hard time understanding what the woman at the plumber was saying. Saying there is a parts only warranty now, yes I know. She said call Rheem for the part, or maybe they will give you a new unit. Then said she would call them for me.

While waiting I saw the light was flashing for normal operation and the water dripping out was hot. Though maybe the crummy plastic valve was bad. Rather than wait and try to get a free part I went and bought a new metal valve and diy the job. $22. Forget the warranty.

Yay, me. :LOL:

I had a Rheem water heater that I installed in 2018, this spring it started leaking from the pressure relief valve. (Right before we left on a cruise.) Called Rheem and they were going to send the new part under warranty. It arrived a few days later and they sent me the drain valve part instead. Called back and in a few days got the pressure relief valve. Got it replaced. Asked about returning the drain valve and they said "just keep it." About a month later, it started leaking at the drain valve. That was a quick fix, because I had the replacement part from before.

I wonder about their quality now.

Dug a giant hole for my basketball hoop then poured concrete into it. Instructions said I would need 11 50 lbs bags. I needed 20. And I forgot that once you start pouring, you can't stop. It was a sunny 86 with high humidity and I started pouring @ 1300. I got heat exhaustion, but I had to finish it or start over. It's in. It looks nice. I figure 1,000 lbs of concrete ought to hold it up. It's not the giant, fancy kind.

I had a dental appointment at 2:00, so I decided to tack on a bunch of errands both before and after the appointment.

Before the appointment I voted early, and then went to the post office to mail some fun gifts to a friend who is turning 50 next week.

After the appointment I popped into Walgreen's to pick up a few things, then I hung out at the library until closing time at 6:00.

On the way home I picked up Chinese takeout from a hole-in-the-wall joint that has managed to survive all the Covid ups and downs for more than two years. It is located around the corner from the place I retired from in December 2020.

My entire organization started WFH in March of 2020, and they are still at it, as are most of the businesses in that immediate area (all of which supported the restaurant). The restaurant has managed to tough it out in spite of this. I try to stop in a couple of times a month, or whenever I am in that area.

I had a Rheem water heater that I installed in 2018, this spring it started leaking from the pressure relief valve. (Right before we left on a cruise.) Called Rheem and they were going to send the new part under warranty. It arrived a few days later and they sent me the drain valve part instead. Called back and in a few days got the pressure relief valve. Got it replaced. Asked about returning the drain valve and they said "just keep it." About a month later, it started leaking at the drain valve. That was a quick fix, because I had the replacement part from before.

I wonder about their quality now.

We're both along for the ride now. I'm not replacing it unless it dies. I hope to move before that happens.

we got the boom back on the excavator, all line bored and new pins fitted. Now I wait on a cylinder overhaul.

PXL-20220511-225456871.jpg

PXL-20220511-225450441.jpg

The new pins/holes are machined to 0.005 clearance. That is night and day from the old worn out stuff, and better than the factory new 0.015.

Spent the day helping DW load then clean the 5th wheel in preperation of our Wild West trip. Then went to dinner with our DD and family. Now just clearing out emails and will be on the road to 1st stop in Ky. this afternoon. Kind of excited for this BTW experience/

Weather is wonderful this week. Highs in the 70s, lows around 50. I've been preparing some beds for some new shrubs. Last week before the storm we stripped and brightened the cumaru deck. After a couple of days of drying, we applied the stain, and finished around noon yesterday. The stripping wasn't as even as I like, but it looks better than before.

We took a nap, then went to band rehearsal. Today I'll be putting in three shrubs. DH plan to go out for a drink at a restaurant overlooking the river. Friday is our anniversary, but there might be thunderstorms.

Heading out for a 6 Mike hike this morning, and will swing by the grocery store on the way home to pick up a few things.

Probably get some chicken and frozen veggies in the slow cooker before I head out for the day.

I went to the cabin yesterday and finished the last row of LVP flooring (had to remove baseboard heater). I also ran plumbing for a washing machine and a dishwasher...the cabin didn't have either appliance before.

After supper a band mate who has the cabin next door came over and we played acoustic guitars for a couple hours. Then we sat around a fire sipping beers.

According to the weather forecast we're in for "off and on" rain for about the next five days so I wanted to get the grass cut front and back while I had the chance. Did that yesterday and today, and put down spot weed killer (applied only to the weeds, not the whole yard).

I'll readily admit that I put down the weed killer in spots instead of spraying the whole yard not out of environmental concerns, but that stuff is expensive, and I hate wasting it where it isn't needed. But the effect is the same. At our previous house one of the neighbors saw me doing that and came over to tell me how pleased she was that at least some people were enlightened enough to not spray herbicides willy-nilly all over. I didn't see the need to bust her bubble.:angel:

20 miles on the ebike. Finished flower / plant planting. Finished design of a barn wood desk I’m building. Got materials for a new hose bib and retrofit of new bed frame to fit our old headboard. Washed and put the mesh sun top on the Jeep.

Today: clean house, Philharmonic, then dinner
Tomorrow: try (yet again) to find furniture. There's 1 possibility but just 1. At least it's super comfortable
20220512_120117.jpg

The young wife and I gave blood today at the new permanent Red Cross donation center that recently opened in our town. It was quite nice, and we already scheduled our next donation for the same place in 8 weeks No more church basements, school gyms and Elk's clubs for us.

Decided to obey the Knights who say "Ni!" and brought back a shrubbery... actually 2, that look nice and are not too expensive :), from the store, and planted them a couple of places in our backyard where old tree stumps had finally rotted away.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom