What did you do today? - 2022 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
What Robbie said :) Relieve cut the backsides of things to make the front sides match nice. If either the angle of the corner or the angle of the miter saw differs from exactly 45, It just does not work well on the outside corners if you don't relieve them a bit.

Yes.

And using a chop saw, I initially cut a teeny bit too long to be safe, then shave off a little by little to just the right length. Power tools make any job easier.

Yeah, me too. And I bring the hand held belt sander right to the job site, so I can finish right there instead of multi-tripping back and forth to the workbench.

And using a chop saw, I initially cut a teeny bit too long to be safe, then shave off a little by little to just the right length. Power tools make any job easier.

I do the same thing. I also start with the longest piece and work my way down to the smallest. That way if you accidentally make a piece too short it's still usable.

It was a trucking day. I brought 10 tons of pea gravel down to town, put 2.5 tons in a concrete bucket and placed it with the crane, then took the remainder to another site. Then it was back to the pit to get 2.25 tons of drain rock and load that in the concrete bucket and place that, then we hopped the mini into what real estate was available on this wall-to-wall high rise site.
PXL-20220719-205103242.jpg

It was a trucking day. I brought 10 tons of pea gravel down to town, put 2.5 tons in a concrete bucket and placed it with the crane, then took the remainder to another site. Then it was back to the pit to get 2.25 tons of drain rock and load that in the concrete bucket and place that, then we hopped the mini into what real estate was available on this wall-to-wall high rise site.
PXL-20220719-205103242.jpg
That is interesting and I bet an expensive job.

Been too busy up at 330 this morning irrigating lawn and will flood garden soon. Then off to a Board Meeting @ 7. Then to the lawn mowing job I do for the State University which is about 8 acres in size. I also got my new snow blower FedEx yesterday and assembled that and got it ready for use.

Been busy mowing/weed eating, tree care, build corral, watering and working on water well/pump project. I also been picking wild berries will go for the day on Thursday way to busy today.

Last edited:
Street, Sounds exhausting. It was a proper ER Afternoon around here.

Attachments

• IMG_1230.JPG
    IMG_1230.JPG
    327.7 KB · Views: 50
^^^^^ Some serious temawork.

Out on the lake 0600, kayaking. Goof off the rest of the day.

Went through my old stash of Motorcycle posters, mostly from races.
Took pics of them all and packed them up to move.
The first one I pulled out was autographed by Revvin' Kevin himself.
Good start to the project which took more than half the day.

Attachments

• Image00001.jpg
    Image00001.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 48
Good job all!!
I hauled pea gravel all day to a distant job up and down I-5 with no air conditioning in the dump truck. At least it did work on my work truck coming home from the office.

Went out to the boat today and put new double braid nylon lines on all 4 fenders. Then I installed these trick fender aids. No more panic approaching the dock and raising/lowering fenders as required. No knotting needed, just press the lever and slide the line as conditions dictate.

Also replaced a couple old frayed dock lines that came with the boat.

Yes.

Anothet tip, cut longest pieces first. Then if you make a mistake, use that for next shorter piece. Saves loss of material from mistakes.

Anothet tip, cut longest pieces first. Then if you make a mistake, use that for next shorter piece. Saves loss of material from mistakes.

I been following these tips on chop saw cutting but have a question. Are you talking about the base trim that goes around the bottom of wall next to floor?

If so another way to get a perfect 45 on corners is to run one piece of floor trim straight into corner and don't cut a 45 just butt it up tight to corner. Then the other piece cut at a 45 and use a coping saw to cut out the exposed part of that 45-degree cut. A perfect tight corner and you would think both were cut 45 and fit exactly perfect. I tried to follow what exactly the work that was done by OP in the first post he made.

I had an early morning breakfast with a friend. Then went to a Costco to fill up the SUV and pick up a few fruits and vegetables. Stayed on the shaded porch until the heat index hit 95 (its over 100 now). Spending the rest of the day in the cool, comfortable man cave, digitizing photos and family movies (should complete converting all of the VHS/Hi-8/Mini DV tapes before midnight).

I been following these tips on chop saw cutting but have a question. Are you talking about the base trim that goes around the bottom of wall next to floor?

If so another way to get a perfect 45 on corners is to run one piece of floor trim straight into corner and don't cut a 45 just butt it up tight to corner. Then the other piece cut at a 45 and use a coping saw to cut out the exposed part of that 45-degree cut. A perfect tight corner and you would think both were cut 45 and fit exactly perfect. I tried to follow what exactly the work that was done by OP in the first post he made.

Yes - cope the inside corners on baseboard trim and shoe molding. Also works on inside corners of crown molding.

And here's a tip from my BIL the 40 year carpenter. To cut off just a sliver - push the saw down in the cut position, then push your workpiece against the saw blade, then hold the workpiece firmly in place, raise the saw and then make the cut.

Pushing the workpiece against the blade moves the blade a smidgen and the saw will only take off a smidgen in the cut.

Yes - cope the inside corners on baseboard trim and shoe molding. Also works on inside corners of crown molding.

And here's a tip from my BIL the 40 year carpenter. To cut off just a sliver - push the saw down in the cut position, then push your workpiece against the saw blade, then hold the workpiece firmly in place, raise the saw and then make the cut.

Pushing the workpiece against the blade moves the blade a smidgen and the saw will only take off a smidgen in the cut.

Yep, exactly what it takes for that perfect fit!!! Thanks, Ronstar.

I suppose next week you will be heading for rattlesnake country. Local news has a lot on the park and is said 93% of the road are open for visitors and shouldn't miss an attraction from the devastation this spring. They are welcoming visitors and encouraging them to come.

Yep, exactly what it takes for that perfect fit!!! Thanks, Ronstar.

I suppose next week you will be heading for rattlesnake country. Local news has a lot on the park and is said 93% of the road are open for visitors and shouldn't miss an attraction from the devastation this spring. They are welcoming visitors and encouraging them to come.

Yep - getting ready to head west. Getting emails from Yellowstone stressing animal and covid safety, current road situation, and a little bit of marketing asking to make reservations for dinner at a lodge restaurant.

92F outside, not feeling like doing outdoor stuff. Fixed two roll up shdes which have been crooked for the last 4 years.

Yep - getting ready to head west. Getting emails from Yellowstone stressing animal and covid safety, current road situation, and a little bit of marketing asking to make reservations for dinner at a lodge restaurant.

Outstanding!!!
I wish you both a great trip.

On my daily mtn bike ride and had a little “ooopsie” today. Dirt trail next to a beautiful river and I was paying more attention to the water than the trail. Pedal caught a rock, bike stopped, and I went flying. Got a nice raspberry on my knee and scrapes on my leg as a reminder to pay attention to the trail.

But most important the bike is fine. Not a scratch!

Took a 4 mile walk in the morning, cleaned up and then went to donate blood. Ate lunch, then worked for several hours out in my garden plot.

4 miles is a good walk. My enjoyable, regular loop is 3.4 miles, after which I am done with walking for the day.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom