What did you do today? - 2022 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
^ Good for you! Back issues give you a pass when someone asks you to help them move.

Exactly. My moving days are long in the past. The only thing I'm going to do in a move is write the check. If someone else wants my help the most they're gonna get from me is I'll drive the truck.

Back on topic, I thought about mowing some grass but quickly dismissed that idea when I stepped outside. Maybe tomorrow if it doesn't rain. Instead I flew some small (ultra-micro) R/C airplanes in the back yard. These are made of foam and weigh three ounces or less but are still fun to play with.

The low cost and lightweight electronics in these airplanes still continues to amaze me. But then, I grew up in the era of vacuum tubes.

That would have been frustrating enough (her being a know it all) but then she goes on and on about how she needs help moving (she's a hoarder who got that worthless crap out of trash) and how I can help. Frankly there's a whole bunch of other ppl for that (like JunkKings trash service) NOT ME

Your 'friend' may be a crazy maker. Her problems become your problems, fixing them is your responsibility, and if things don't work out well, it's your fault.

I recommend avoiding crazy makers.

What did I do today:

Nothing! It's been a hot, hot, hot day. Right now, at 7:45 PM, it's 90F with 73% humidity. Lazy/sleepy weather, for sure, even with good AC. Somehow I just dozed throughout the entire afternoon, probably from the heat, and Frank said he did the same. Basically I did nothing but snore all day long, so I'll probably be up tonight instead.

We were going to get take-out from our local Sports bar for dinner, which has really good food, but their chef unexpectedly quit today. So, their kitchen was closed. Most of the other restaurants around here are Italian restaurants that are closed because it is Sunday. F asked me if I wanted Wendy's, and I told him I'd rather just make a sandwich here at home than eat fast food. So, I did that. Now, it's time to catch up on forum posts, check the news, listen to music, and browse the internet. I tell you, retirement is a tough life! :2funny: (Not really!)

I took cricket on a 2.5 mile hike/run at the Dungeness county park this morning, before we pulled out and headed home.
Now I am getting ready for a busy week to come.

Went and picked wild berries and irrigated the trees I planted 4 years ago and the new batch this spring. I have lost about half of what I planted this spring. I'm not sure what happened but will continue to keep planting next spring. I have some volunteer ash, juneberry and cottonwoods I will relocate from my high fence tree yard next spring. Worked on corral and odds and ends. It was 51 degrees this morning and 70's as a high and was an absolutely epic day.

After my wife's 2 days of back surgery last week, my wife threw a clot (thrombosis.) She's back in the hospital with me holding her hand. Getting pain meds every 2 hrs. around the clock.

Just got in from an eventful day on the river. I came out of it okay, but a language barrier with guests on the trip put me in a precarious situation. Partly due to three rafts who could not understand my instructions I ended up pinned in my kayak between a rock and a raft. Luckily I was able to keep upright and extricate myself.

This is a fun summer gig most of the time but I was a little miffed today. I wasn’t the only guide who had problems due to a language issue and there were some discussions with the manager about minimum requirements to take a trip down the river.

After my wife's 2 days of back surgery last week, my wife threw a clot (thrombosis.) She's back in the hospital with me holding her hand. Getting pain meds every 2 hrs. around the clock.

I hope all goes well for both of you.

Just got in from an eventful day on the river. I came out of it okay, but a language barrier with guests on the trip put me in a precarious situation. Partly due to three rafts who could not understand my instructions I ended up pinned in my kayak between a rock and a raft. Luckily I was able to keep upright and extricate myself.

This is a fun summer gig most of the time but I was a little miffed today. I wasn’t the only guide who had problems due to a language issue and there were some discussions with the manager about minimum requirements to take a trip down the river.
I would think that would be a disqualifying event for safety issues. If they can't follow/understand/speak instructions, I would think it would huge liability for the company.

Went to my garden plot for a couple hours this morning. Then came home to prepare the garlic for storage. I had harvested it two weeks ago and set it to dry on racks in the garage (with a fan on it). Today, it was all nicely dried out, so I cut off the dried stalks and peeled the first layer of skin to get all the dirt off, then I put it in a bunch of mesh bags. All told, I processed 131 heads of garlic. I'll use 30-35 heads as seed for next year's crop, which I will sow in November. The other 96-101 heads are for cooking over the next year. However, I know the young wife will run out in May and be cranky, so I am upping my plans and will plant 140 cloves for new year.

How do you store the garlic? Cool/dry basement?

Attached garage. It is in the shade most of the time and the concrete slab is a good heat sink, so it stays cool in the summer and doesn't freeze in the winter. It is also dry.

I picked my 2nd harvest of basil today, made pesto, and froze it in ice cube tray for use later this year. Great stuff.

Sending prayers that your wife is soon stabilized and you are able to bring her home. Best wishes for a smooth recovery.

I picked my 2nd harvest of basil today, made pesto, and froze it in ice cube tray for use later this year. Great stuff.

Made pesto today as well.

This morning I went to the Vintage Market/Swap Meet for the first time in two years. Very hot -- not much in the way of interesting merchandise.

We drove to Mesquite, NV on the way to visit DSIL in Durango, CO.

We drove to Mesquite, NV on the way to visit DSIL in Durango, CO.
We flew out of Durango on Sunday, or Saturday and flew to Reykjavik this morning. I don't know it's like 8AM Monday here and I had zero sleep since the night before we left.

I would think that would be a disqualifying event for safety issues. If they can't follow/understand/speak instructions, I would think it would huge liability for the company.

PLEASE let follow/understand/repeat instructions be a prerequisite! It really spoils the day for the rest of us when blowhards (those who think they know better than trained guides) mess it up

Oh, no! She is where she needs to be right now, getting good clot busting drugs. But difficult for you to watch her go through this, I am sure.
Take care of your self too, Bamaman! You have a lot on your plate with caring for your DW and Grandchild.
Best wishes for good health for both of you.

Got out for a 20-mile hilly bike ride early in the morning … to minimize exposure to forest fire smoke … and a long gym session afterwards.

Today is mine and DW’s 41st anniversary. Did nothing special but we did go see the movie Elvis. We didn’t really care for it. There was some interesting things we did not know, if they were true, and of course any time music was playing that was good. However, the structure of the movie made it hard to watch and it was a bit more focused on the tortured side of his life so not very “fun” to watch. Still, after 41 years, pulling off a date to the movies wasn’t too bad.

For the first time in a week it cooled off (sort of) yesterday evening and I mowed the front half of the lawn in that last hour before dark, then did the other half this morning starting at 8:30. Usually I don't like to start that early but rain was forecast for later and it needed to get done. It wasn't too hot but the humidity was in the high 70's so I was drenched by the time I was done.

Showered and pretty much took the rest of the day off.

PLEASE let follow/understand/repeat instructions be a prerequisite! It really spoils the day for the rest of us when blowhards (those who think they know better than trained guides) mess it up

I have ways of making the blowhards comply. (Those that understand but fool around /ignore me through the first rapid often find themselves in the water during the second rapid.). But the lack of any English comprehension can be a problem.
The owners know it and are weighing their options.

The staging area for trips often looks like a mini UN. There are instructions posted in Mandarin and Korean, Muslims use the lawn for prayer, and we run special trips for Orthodox Jews. A salsa dance party broke out a few weeks ago (that was fun!). The challenge is to keep the welcoming atmosphere while enforcing whatever policy might be adopted.

Yes. I hire moves. I never ask for help and I'm never going to help anyone move.

If you need help pay for helpers.

I moved recently and I did both. The first day my family came and helped me move all the boxes and small items. The next day the movers came and took the furniture. It worked out well. I must say, I was very grateful for all the de-cluttering I did beforehand.

I got my Covid booster shot today, then afterwards went to the dollar store and got a few plastic bins to help organize my craft supplies. Filled up on cheap gas at Costco, then spent the afternoon working in my craft room. Still thinking I might need a shelving unit for that room, but it's coming along.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom