What Did Your Offspring Do Today?

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Last Sunday Jenny booked a spur-of-the-moment trip to Puerto Rico for this weekend (4 days). She's staying with people from CouchSurfing.com.

beach.jpg
[Stock photo]

My son called to see if we wanted to go to the baseball game (Cleveland Indians vs .... some other team). DH and our other son wanted to go so that's where they are tonight. I thought about going but decided that I'd rather be home. Since DH retired, I rarely get time at home by myself.

Don't have kids but do have 4 cats. Today, Eddie tried to book a trip for us all to go London for the Olympics. Good thing he doesn't have access to my credit card 3 digit code or my cell phone. Also good he doesn't have opposable thumbs.

Attachments

• Eddie 2010.JPG
    Eddie 2010.JPG
    419.5 KB · Views: 9
Made money, played with their kids, played soccer, ate, slept, etc.

Not today but on Tues. dear daughter took us to see Spiderman Turn Off The Dark on Broadway where she works and then gave us the backstage tour.

Mine packed, she graduating from college Sunday. It's hard to tell who's happier her or us. She is our fourth and final college grad wahoo!!! They are all done, no loans and after 11 years (16 college years)no more tuition payments!!!!!!!!!! ( each of the 4 took 4 years but had some in at the same time) Freedom:)

My son peed and pooped himself at least 10 times today. Then proceeded to vomit and drool all over himself. I attribute this to excessive drinking. He's been hitting the bottle all day. All day.

(He's almost 3 weeks old :) )

My daughter is about to deliver my new grandchild . Hopefully I will be meeting him in the next ten days !

Last edited:
Our older daughter called us this evening with news that the California Bar had just posted results from the last exam. She passed, so once sworn in she'll be able to practice in New York and California.

That's a relief...

Our daughter's learning linear algebra in college summer school this month in hopes of avoiding another math class in the fall.

Looks like she'll be home for about a week in early June before flying up to Bangor for her six-week submarine cruise, then flying back home for another week in late July before heading back to college. This will be her chance to decide whether she really likes the submarine force.

Or, by the time July is over, she might quit college and NROTC in hopes of working shifts at Taco Bell. I think it's going to be one or the other.

Our older daughter called us this evening with news that the California Bar had just posted results from the last exam. She passed, so once sworn in she'll be able to practice in New York and California.
That's a relief...
How many punchlines can you get from a nuke raising a lawyer?

DD#2 asked me to order a book for her (we get the better shipping option). It is a health related subject. I like it when the kids read and also when they become proactive in dealing with their own issues.

DD#1 and her two little ones skyped with us. Grandparent / grandchild relationship building it totally different in a world with this kind of technology. A real opportunity my parents did not have.

DS must be ok because he hasn't called or written.

Looks like she'll be home for about a week in early June before flying up to Bangor for her six-week submarine cruise, then flying back home for another week in late July before heading back to college.

Does she get the military discount for flying? If so, how much is it? Or can she fly on military planes??

Does she get the military discount for flying? If so, how much is it? Or can she fly on military planes??
She's still in the Reserves, so the "military rate" only counts when she's on active duty (like summer training). When she's flying on active-duty orders she gets whatever government rate has been negotiated with the carrier. It used to be United Airlines but that changes occasionally, and it might vary within the services.

I don't know how much it is now because she never sees the bills-- she just gets the e-ticket barcodes. I'll see if she can find out from her unit's travel office.

Last month we paid $1000/person to fly nonstop round-trip to Houston. At Christmas it's not uncommon for the Houston-Honolulu airfare to push $1400. That's more expensive than going through LAX or SFO (or going through Phoenix and LAX) but it avoids a lot of delays and missed connections. I'd much rather spend the extra cash for one very long flight than to break it up with a layover.

I don't know who's getting the better deal this time. She'll have to buy her own round-trip ticket from Houston-Honolulu-Houston. The NROTC travel office will pay for Honolulu-SeaTac to get her to Bangor, and back to Honolulu afterwards. However when they make these plans, they usually get messed up because the submarine changes its schedule at the last minute. In fact if this six-week submarine cruise includes a Pearl Harbor portcall then she might just finish the cruise here and cancel the back half of the SeaTac-HNL airplane ticket. But we've all learned not to worry about something like that until it actually happens.

I'm not sure if she can fly on a military aircraft with a Reserve ID. She probably can, but she'll have the second-lowest priority (just above us retired ol' pharts) and there's no guarantee that she'll make the flights she needs before she runs out of time. If you have 30 days of leave then hopping is a great way to see the world. If you only have 7-14 days, though, you might spend a quarter of it sitting in a terminal waiting to see if they have space available... for three or four tries. If you're a retiree with 365 days/year then hopping is a great way to see the world.

Hopping in a C-5 or a C-17 is pretty nice. Hopping in a C-141 is tolerable (are they still flying?). Hopping in a C-130 or a P-3 or some other airframe... well... you get what you pay for. But the box lunches are supposedly pretty good.

With her new couchsurfing buddies. She knows how to live.

JennyInBarInPuertoRico.jpg

Last edited:
Yesterday late afternoon played golf with my 33 year old son and his 5 year old son (my grandson). Life doesn't get any better than that. My son shot 6 over, me, bogey golf and my grandson tanked out on gatoraide and had a blast driving grandpa in the cart, plus hitting golf balls in every water hazard on the course.

Your children may be embarking upon international travel, passing the bar, taking linear algebra, having babies, mowing the lawn, playing golf, or otherwise engaged in laudable adventures and accomplishments... but here, I'll out-do you all:

My sweet and lovely daughter just posted on Facebook that in a period of five minutes, while she had lunch cooking on the stove, her toilet overflowed; she slipped and FELL in it; her cat barfed on the floor; and then she found more cat barf by stepping in it (ewww!).

She's all right, but hey, way to go, slick! :facepalm: I posted my sympathies and a suggestion to shower with LOTS of very hot water and soap once everything is cleaned up. Her day has to improve from here on out. :D

Last edited:
Your children may be embarking upon international travel, passing the bar, taking linear algebra, having babies, mowing the lawn, playing golf, or otherwise engaged in laudable adventures and accomplishments... but here, I'll out-do you all:

My sweet and lovely daughter just posted on Facebook that in a period of five minutes, while she had lunch cooking on the stove, her toilet overflowed; she slipped and FELL in it; her cat barfed on the floor; and then she found more cat barf by stepping in it (ewww!).

She's all right, but hey, way to go, slick! :facepalm: I posted my sympathies and a suggestion to shower with LOTS of very hot water and soap once everything is cleaned up. Her day has to improve from here on out. :D
That is a lot in just 5 minutes. Any idea what she did with the lunch she was cooking?

MichaelB said:
That is a lot in just 5 minutes. Any idea what she did with the lunch she was cooking?

She posted that just a minute or two before I posted. I also reminded her to shut off the burners. I would imagine that as soon as she finishes cleaning up and sanitizing everything, she'll do something about it. That's if she even has an appetite any more. Poor kid! :ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
DS is home for the summer for [-]probably[/-] hopefully the last time. Since he's been a camp counselor for the last 4 years, we'll see more of him than usual. But he'll have a nasty commute to a 9-5 engineering internship starting next Tuesday, while DH and I enjoy our ER freedom :dance:

Today he slept late, went out with his HS buddies for lunch, sprawled on the sofa with his (ever present) laptop watching TV for a couple of hours, then went to the driving range with some subset of aforementioned buddies. Came home to watch more TV, rehydrate, and change, and is now out playing soccer with more buddies. I'll save him some leftovers.

Haven't heard from DD, which is normal and generally means all is well.

PS - Nice idea for a thread, especially in the summer!

Our daughter's buying plane tickets. The Navy's agreed that if she'll spend the money to fly to Hawaii, then they'll fly her from there to Bangor for her summer training. So she gets a week of quality family surfing time before she goes on cruise, and a couple more weeks after it's over.

I hate these cliffhanger endings!

Please don't keep us in suspense, W2R: What did she have for lunch?!?

Nords said:
Our daughter's buying plane tickets. The Navy's agreed that if she'll spend the money to fly to Hawaii, then they'll fly her from there to Bangor for her summer training. So she gets a week of quality family surfing time before she goes on cruise, and a couple more weeks after it's over.

I hate these cliffhanger endings!

Please don't keep us in suspense, W2R: What did she have for lunch?!?

I suspect nothing, under the circumstances! :LOL: Glad your daughter gets to come home for a while before and after her cruise. :)

W2R said:
She posted that just a minute or two before I posted. I also reminded her to shut off the burners. I would imagine that as soon as she finishes cleaning up and sanitizing everything, she'll do something about it. That's if she even has an appetite any more. Poor kid! :ROFLMAO:

Um, could you also remind her to wash her hands?

Oh and guess what? Her husband was so sweet - - he brought her flowers after all this happened. Ah, young love.... :smitten:

Um, could you also remind her to wash her hands?

Thanks. Yes, I already did that, even though she is 34 years old (I never seem to stop being her mom). I think this discussion is going in circles....

I posted my sympathies and a suggestion to shower with LOTS of very hot water and soap once everything is cleaned up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom