What do you do to get you out of a funk?

I am rarely in a funk, but when it happens I find that some time alone helps. If I'm alone and can talk out loud to myself I can be really surprised by my thoughts. It's just my way of working through things, whether it's an attitude adjustment or just figuring out what to do in a situation.

Interesting- I live alone and generally like it that way but I've found that being around others can get me out of a funk. I tend to latch onto things and worry about them if left to my own devices and family or a trusted friend can help talk me down and help me put things in perspective.

As others have said, exercise helps, too. I work out every day and usually that will snap me out of a funk.

Interesting- I live alone and generally like it that way but I've found that being around others can get me out of a funk. I tend to latch onto things and worry about them if left to my own devices and family or a trusted friend can help talk me down and help me put things in perspective.

As others have said, exercise helps, too. I work out every day and usually that will snap me out of a funk.

Me too, but in my case, it's hard for me to be in a funk when I'm around people, not because they talk me out of my funk, but simply because my brain has to focus on and be preoccupied with interactions with them. I may get annoyed and irritated by people though (I tend to be an introvert), but that's a different problem altogether. :LOL:

I put the top down on my old Mustang convertible and go for a drive and listen to 60's and 70's music. :cool:

That sounds really fun!

I don't have a Mustang so what helps me is a healthy lunch and forest bathing - maybe a picnic lunch followed by a forest walk. I find I also feel more calm when we have family and friend events planned or had recent gatherings. The longest running study on happiness found the biggest factor to be social connections. Going to the beach and live music are also good mood boosters for me. Or tackling a project I've been putting off feels good.

Last edited:
I seem to have two types of "funk" to deal with from time to time. "Situational" - something goes wrong. Then there is sort of a pattern of ups and downs. If there is actually something "wrong" then I try to fix it. If it's just a shift in brain chemicals or whatever, I just wait it out. YMMV

To get out of a funk, I usually go on a walk or a hike in nature, I journal, I talk to a friend, or I sing some of my favorite songs... I have been in a funk lately because the weather here has been sooo bad for sooo long... We had a dark snowy winter followed by a wet and cold spring and summer... This afternoon, I need a double dose of cheering up, so I'm going on a walk with a friend - once it stops raining :LOL:

Walks, playing my flute, cleaning all my drawers while listening to an audiobook. Stay away from news and politics.

I like playing games too.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned pets yet? If you have a dog, take it for a walk or go play ball/fetch.

If you have a cat, pick them up and give them a good cuddle (even if they don't like it).

Pets are a good way to help avoid the funk to begin with.

I don't know if anyone has mentioned pets yet? If you have a dog, take it for a walk or go play ball/fetch.

If you have a cat, pick them up and give them a good cuddle (even if they don't like it).

Pets are a good way to help avoid the funk to begin with.

^ This

We lost our last dog to old age a few years ago and had resisted getting another because we wanted to travel. Six months before Covid, soft-hearted DD#2 saw this photo on the city shelter website with a note there was only one day remaining before the dog would be euthanized.

End result, she rescued the dog, SIL was NOT happy about having another dog, so she sent her mom the pic saying "Look what I got you!"

Turned out to be great pooch and the source of much joy and entertainment for us during the many stay-at-home months of pandemic isolation. Definitely a way to keep the funk at bay.

Attachments

• Archie pound.jpg
    Archie pound.jpg
    90.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Some might visit their primary care physician and see if there is any medication that can take the edge off the depression.

This is not a bad suggestion. Not too long ago, I would have balked at such a piece of advice but after talking to (and seeing) a couple of family members who have dealt with intermittent bouts of "being blue." They both now take low dose anti depressants and they have been very happy (no pun intended) with the results. One of them takes them as needed (for a few days at a time) and the other has been on it daily for a couple of months.

It's unfortunate that there is a bad stereo type for some of these medications and they *can* help in some cases.

Last edited:
To get out of a funk, I usually go on a walk or a hike in nature, I journal, I talk to a friend, or I sing some of my favorite songs... I have been in a funk lately because the weather here has been sooo bad for sooo long... We had a dark snowy winter followed by a wet and cold spring and summer... This afternoon, I need a double dose of cheering up, so I'm going on a walk with a friend - once it stops raining :LOL:

I have grown tired of being stuck in the house since it's been so hot and humid. I take a daily walk early in the AM, but even at 6am it's miserable out and I can definitely feel the funkiness it creates. Floating in the pool helps some, but even that isn't too much fun once the sun is blazing!

Despite listening to George Clinton and Parliament/Funkadelic for hours on end, I've just never been funky. But if I were, I would just listen to The Carpenters to get over the feeling.

Get out of my head and the focus on myself. Activity of any type, especially exercise. Be with people, whether a lunch date or volunteer or class of some type. Have something to plan for every day.

It varies for me.
Sometimes a short vacation out of the area does the trick.
Other times, making a "to do" list for things aroung the home and not stopping until all is tackled is great.
Also, try rearranging the furniture, "dejunking" at least a room, volunteering somewhere (even a one time project), and/or going on a long hike may be things to do.

This is my list of things I have applied or seen others do

Find a genre of music you like and delve into that

Learn one song on piano or guitar

Get a dog or several and go to dog park, socialize there

Learn to cook and take lessons

Do some Uber driving

Groom meticulously

Clean some part of the house or do yard work

Repair something

Create something on the workbench out of wood

Study longevity diets and tweet your diet

Find a tribe to hang with

Depression is a signal, not an illness theory
https://youtu.be/MB5IX-np5fE

Interact with young people

Plan interesting travel

Develop a new income source

Eliminate an expense

Write a book

Post a YouTube

Try new hobbies

Join a gym

Take up a new sport

Be a better spouse

Read up on nutritional causes of depression

I think the idle mind evolved dark thoughts and fears to spark you into distractive productive activity as a survival trait, so, stay busy

Find an author you can enjoy and become a reader if you currently aren’t - I am cruising through Grisham currently

Cut way back on news and talk and MSM. Find some quality podcasts and YouTube content.

Get a boat big enough to invite people out or join a boat club.

Join a beach house club.

Engage condo politics.

Get licensed for a 100% commission thing like real estate, mortgage broker, that sort of thing.

Start a Shopify store

Join a neighborhood NIMBY group

Visit Chautauqua NY and Lilydale

Buy interesting things on Amazon and wait for surprise packages to show up like Christmas

Research quality TV series to stream evenings

Be friendly with neighbors and bury the hatchet if there are disputes.

Volunteer on local political campaigns.

Teach a community college course.

Buy a vacation home and rent it out when vacant.

Learn a language if there would be some practical use for it.

Read philosophy

Visit every church, temple, mosque, meditation centre, , whatever in town, in case you find one that clicks

Despite listening to George Clinton and Parliament/Funkadelic for hours on end, I've just never been funky.

Hopefully Sir Nose D'Voidoffunk did not show up at your doorstep...

Take your phone outside a grab some pictures of nature...a squirrel, a leaf, maybe a bug or two. Capture the beauty and life around your...
Then back at home, edit those pictures to focus on the most interesting part of the image. Maybe share some of these pics with your friends and family...be proud!!!

None other than Bob Dylan provides this advice that's never failed me.
His holiday album Christmas In The Heart, an acquired taste, is a favorite.

https://youtu.be/fAOsIBsU0iw

Last edited by a moderator:
Those of you that get in a funk or have the blues, is this something you have had all your life or only since you've been retired? I am lucky that I never feel like that but my younger sister has always had these feelings off and on. She does some of the things that have been suggested here to help break the blues. She did go to a doctor (forget what type of doctor but it was for depression) but she didn't need meds. He suggested exercise and not to isolate herself, she can be a couch potato, though not overweight. I'm surprised at some family members that think it's funny.

Exercise while listening to your favorite upbeat music. Play/perform music, alone or with a band. Learn a new musical instrument. Build things--bird houses, decks, etc. Do remodeling of your home, or a used camper. Rebuild / restore automobiles, boats, airplanes. Make your climbing out of a funk beneficial to others, and you'll feel even better during the climb, and after it! Donate your time to charities, food lines, senior citizens' services. Teach children to read, or to fish. Your opportunities are limitless--go forth, aid, and conquer your blues!

I think depends on the kind of funk.

Sometimes, I'm exhausted and just need to take step back and recharge. Like if I've been spending too much time trying to do everything but can't. That may be a good time to just kick back, get a good night's sleep, watch a movie or something.

A bit trickier kind of funk is like feeling a sense of loss. I've been in a bit of a funk (thread about the finality of things) lately. In that, I mentally had to take a step back. Kinda play my own psychologist and patient. Allow for all the stages of grieving and be aware to not get overwhelmed and let the funk turn into a depression. That helps to move from the mindset of denial to acceptance.

Now as for the feeling of loss the Cubs dumping away all their star players. I'm still in the denial phase. Haven't even reached the anger stage yet :LOL:.

Seems a bit counterintuitive, but at times when in the feeling in the dumps, helping others has a healing effect. I suppose that's why often on the news hearing about tragedies people go through and often they want to help others to make sure others don't have to go through what they did.

Good advice in this thread. One thing that doesn’t help is alcohol.

great thread and ideas! mine are the following:

- a longer walk/hike/bike
- cook a new recipe from scratch
- journal, creative writing
- visit and play with grandchildren
- lunch/dinner with friend
- re-organize/deep-clean house.
- personal grooming
- meditation

Similar to what many above has posted, I just need some activity. Either building/fixing something, or an active sport or workout.

In addition, while doing these things, if possible, I'll listen to strong, upbeat, positive music. It is a carryover from my DJ days, lifting folks spirits up with good dance music. SW says when she hears the music and me humming or singing along (or even grabbing her for an impromptu dance), she knows I'm getting out of a funk (and sometimes getting into da funk :LOL:).

I have the same philosophy. Nice to meet ya

Back
Top Bottom