What is Going to Happen With Sports?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Let’s show how it’s done by keeping politics out of sports in this thread and at ER Forum. :greetings10:

Some small college towns live and die by University and College sports.

It will have economic impact on Mom & Pop small businesses and schools. Wall Street will do just fine without sports.

Some small college towns live and die by University and College sports.

It will have economic impact on Mom & Pop small businesses and schools. Wall Street will do just fine without sports.

Chapel Hill where I live is one of those college towns. Many local businesses are hanging on by a thread now--if no football season they are doomed. Even if we by some miracle have football with no spectators this businesses will still suffer.

As to Wall Street--if enough small businesses across the country go under it will eventually trickle up to the banks and then to Wall Street.

Syracuse University is the 2nd largest employer in this county and averages over 21,000 fans per basketball game. Over 30,000 fans at least once and often more each season. I've been to exhibition games vs. D2 schools with over 15,000.
I don't think 3/4 of the students will return this fall. There will probably be a lot of off campus rental foreclosures up on the hill. The bars, restaurants, and hotels that serve the sports fans are sure to be closing.
Chapel Hill where I live is one of those college towns. Many local businesses are hanging on by a thread now--if no football season they are doomed. Even if we by some miracle have football with no spectators this businesses will still suffer.

As to Wall Street--if enough small businesses across the country go under it will eventually trickle up to the banks and then to Wall Street.

Finally the huge huge waste of time sports was will be gone forever. Since the day I was signing up for classes in high school when the football coach approached me an wanted me to play football because I was big, I haven’t understood why so much time, effort, and money is wasted and nothing accomplished. Maybe now those energies, facilities, airtime will be used on something (anything) more worthwhile. Playing ball in the park is fun but anything more than that is so commercialized none of it is even worth The time.
And really- Golf or bowling on television?
Read a book, go for a run, or oh noooo interact with the family.
Good riddance to sports!

Wow. That's harsh.

Finally the huge huge waste of time sports was will be gone forever. Since the day I was signing up for classes in high school when the football coach approached me an wanted me to play football because I was big, I haven’t understood why so much time, effort, and money is wasted and nothing accomplished. Maybe now those energies, facilities, airtime will be used on something (anything) more worthwhile. Playing ball in the park is fun but anything more than that is so commercialized none of it is even worth The time.
And really- Golf or bowling on television?
Read a book, go for a run, or oh noooo interact with the family.
Good riddance to sports!

Wow Arizona-- you felt it necessary to come on a thread about sports reopening to say this? I get it you don't like sports but there are millions and millions of us in the world who do. I do all the other things you mentioned--read many books, exercise and do many things with my family and still have time to watch the occasional sporting event--often in person. Some of the best times that my family and I have had together has been cheering on our favorite team.

We may not get much in person sports this year but I guarantee sports will be back.

I am not much of a fan of bowling but personally I love watching golf on TV --especially the British Open.

There are plenty of things we humans do you could say is a waste in addition to sports --movies, theater, eating out, music, etc. Arizona, are you also glad those activities are gone?

I’m sorry, I thought the title of the thread was
What’s going to happen with sports

Finally the huge huge waste of time sports was will be gone forever!
At one time watching sports was a chance to get away from everyday life (work, bills, etc.). Now, I am not seeing that. The escapism is not there with sports, and that was becoming the case even before COVID-19. That part of the "entertainment" has been changed and it may be a permanent change.

At one time watching sports was a chance to get away from everyday life (work, bills, etc.). Now, I am not seeing that. The escapism is not there with sports, and that was becoming the case even before COVID-19. That part of the "entertainment" has been changed and quite possibly for good.

Well said!!

Yeah the cardboard fans seems silly. If they are going to do that at least have cartoon characters like Peanuts, Flintstone and others inserted in the seats. ;)

Of course WNBA games look ok with no fans, that's how it always is even pre covid

Of course WNBA games look ok with no fans, that's how it always is even pre covid

Personally I really like women basketball games--WNBA and college. The women's game is easier to follow, there is more defense, it seems more real to me. I wish more there were more fans.

Florida Marlins just had 14 players test positive.! Game cancelled. I wonder if the season will actually finish?

Florida Marlins just had 14 players test positive.! Game cancelled. I wonder if the season will actually finish?

I saw that--I was afraid this would happen since MLB teams are traveling around the country. I would have thought it would be better for MLB to have all the teams in a "bubble" and play all their games in just a few places like the NBA is doing.

Yeah the cardboard fans seems silly. If they are going to do that at least have cartoon characters like Peanuts, Flintstone and others inserted in the seats. ;)

Yesterday, I was watching the Liga MX soccer match on Univision between Pumas and Quéretaro. Univision had fans send GIF images of themselves to the network. The network in turn projected those GIFs virtually onto the empty stadium seats. It was actually pretty entertaining. In addition, Univision did not bother with the fake crowd noise. Instead, viewers were treated to hearing the actual sounds of the game on the field. I thought it was great.

Yesterday, I was watching the Liga MX soccer match on Univision between Pumas and Quéretaro. Univision had fans send GIF images of themselves to the network. The network in turn projected those GIFs virtually onto the empty stadium seats. It was actually pretty entertaining. In addition, Univision did not bother with the fake crowd noise. Instead, viewers were treated to hearing the actual sounds of the game on the field. I thought it was great.

The GIFs sound like a great idea. All this is so new for MLB, I am sure they will figure out what looks and works best.

Yeah, seems inevitable! This virus is super contagious. It’s going to be extremely difficult to avoid infections without complete quarantine.

Oops 4, then 8 more!

Four days into season, MLB game cancelled over COVID-19 outbreak
The Marlins spent the weekend in Philadelphia, taking a three-game series against the Phillies 2-1. On Sunday, however, sources told ESPN that four players tested positive for the novel coronavirus, including Jose Urena, who was expected to pitch Sunday's game.

The team delayed its flight home to Miami, spending an additional night in Philadelphia instead and planning to travel to Florida Monday morning ahead of tonight's scheduled game against Baltimore. By Monday morning, however, an additional eight players and two coaches had tested positive for the coronavirus. The team's flight back to Miami this morning was cancelled, and the Marlins for the moment remain grounded in Philadelphia.
https://arstechnica.com/tech-policy...lans-for-home-opener-after-covid-19-outbreak/

Last edited:
Changing the subject slightly, DH and I are rewatching the TV series Friday Night Lights, about high school football in Texas. It is a great series for all you sports fans missing games.

The small west Texas town where DH grew up - nothing was more important than Friday night high school sports!

Changing the subject slightly, DH and I are rewatching the TV series Friday Night Lights, about high school football in Texas. It is a great series for all you sports fans missing games.
The movie was excellent and the series outstanding.

Personally I really like women basketball games--WNBA and college. The women's game is easier to follow, there is more defense, it seems more real to me. I wish more there were more fans.

I actually don't mind it either. It's basketball like we play it at the Y, below the rim. But the viewership is nil.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom