What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had an apartment neighbor in my youth who worked as a bartender. At about 1:30am every night she would crank up her favorite Bob Segar CD.

As Rasstass suggested, asking for her to turn if down just made matters worse.
We moved out of that place, because of her.
JP

When feeling a mite ornery when a car pulls up near me with their Rap "music" turned up so the windows rattle I have been known to slip in a CD of bagpipe music to drowned it out. :D

Cheers!

Tonight after the big ride, he has his home stereo cranked up very loud all evening. My woman went out to confirm he was the source. Other neighbors were out there checking at the same time. At least he is in a different building from me, but it is loud from over here.

Take care, JP

Another reminder why I like my camp.

Miles to nearest neighbor. Thay can play any music at any loudness level, so can I. At any time. Maybe sell house and move there:), hmmm, food for thought. Next to no taxes, and spend the $ on bigger speakers. like Sumo Aria? And a SUMO Andromeda III 240 watt RMS amplifier.

Kind of a counter peeve. What is the opposite of peeve?

Amazon deliveries. I have a delivery that showed as out for delivery the last 2 days. Nothing. Finally today it shows as "sorry it's running late" and it'll (hopefully) be delivered sometime in the next 2 days. Huh? Why if a package sits on a truck all day and isn't delivered that day for whatever reason it isn't prioritized for the next day?
Sounds more like they lost it.
And I have another package from Amazon supposedly being delivered today.
Oh yeah, and in the past week I've been double charged then refunded for two different orders. This is with a paypal debit card. Maybe they don't like paypal?
Amazon needs to work a bit harder this holiday season.

JP.mpls, sorry you have to deal with the noise.This is a reminder of one of the big reasons DW and I hesitate to downsize to a condo. Having more than an acre of land does mean we have to spend time on yard work, but any noise from neighbors is never heard within our house and minimally heard outside. Likewise, our noise is not heard by them.
JollyS,
This is my first condo/townhome/apartment living in over 35 years. I have some adjustments to make also.

I've actually enjoyed most of interactions with my neighbors, and am already feeling like I'm part of a community. Mostly just light talking with neighbors nearby, walking, and at the community pool. Most are friendly and happy. What the hell, we are wintering in Bonita Springs. It is nice here.

They used to have monthly owners gatherings/pot luck at the pool/community center, but that isn't happening with covid.

The only negative so far besides noisy guy:
We can hear the people behind us flush. We laugh about it. Quite the classy place I purchased.

FYI: Regarding condos.
My partner owns a condo back home. Issues with the expensive common roof, and plumbing problems in units above. Also no known replacement AC/Furnace units are available, and HOA is involved with this.

I'm glad all of the utility mechanicals are separate in my townhome. My place has issues, but the roofs were replaced not long ago with separate assessments to each unit.

Take care, JP

JollyS,

The only negative so far besides noisy guy:
We can hear the people behind us flush. We laugh about it. Quite the classy place I purchased.

Way back in our college years we lived in a cheap college town townhouse complex. Our bathroom backed up to our neighbors bathroom and the medicine cabinets were built into the common wall. We were very close friends with those neighbors and found we could knock on the back of the medicine cabinet and have a quick chat just raising our voices a little bit.

Knock, knock. "Hey, Dominos has a deal on two pizzas and we have a coupon. You interested?" "Yeah, sure. Get mushroom on mine. I'll bring beer."

I'm sure the rent was very cheap.

I recently purchased an older townhome in a quaint and quite community in Bonita Springs, Florida.

It has been going great. Lots of people in this area, but my community has been a refuge of peace and quite.

New neighbors moved in about a week ago.
He has been busy hauling truck loads of garage stuff from wherever his previous or other home is. His pickup truck is a Dodge diesel, and he has started it up at 4am a few times now. Not sure why.

He is also a Harley owner. No big deal. He heads off for rides on occasion. Yesterday he decided to warm up the rebellious unit for about 20 minutes, just idling in the parking lot, with the exhaust aiming at my place. Whatever.

Tonight after the big ride, he has his home stereo cranked up very loud all evening. My woman went out to confirm he was the source. Other neighbors were out there checking at the same time. At least he is in a different building from me, but it is loud from over here.

I think I can confirm this guy is oblivious to anyone else around him. It is a bummer. Hopefully he will consider being considerate at some point, but I doubt it. Leonard Skinard going now. Wee!

Thanks for listening to my whine/ pet peeve.

Take care, JP

Just one of many reasons I live on 8.5 acres in the woods of southern NH.
I do however know Bonita Springs well.
My BIL lives there year round and it is way too crowded and flat for me.:cool:
The last time we visited a few years ago it was 95 deg on April 1st. Way too hot for my liking.

That awful, annoying truck commercial is back. The one in which the husband buys a new SUV *and* a new pickup truck, as Christmas presents for both of them (that in itself is annoying! guess I'm envious) , then the wife says she wants the truck, and the wimp husband allows it. What? Oh, I guess he's just a nice guy and wants his wife to be happy. How insensitive of me. I don't remember if there's a huge red bow on them. That would be icing on the cake, no?

That awful, annoying truck commercial is back. The one in which the husband buys a new SUV *and* a new pickup truck, as Christmas presents for both of them (that in itself is annoying! guess I'm envious) , then the wife says she wants the truck, and the wimp husband allows it. What? Oh, I guess he's just a nice guy and wants his wife to be happy. How insensitive of me. I don't remember if there's a huge red bow on them. That would be icing on the cake, no?
That one annoys me for a whole different reason, but I hate that commercial too.

The one thing I regularly watch on TV live is sports, and this commercial is on all.the.time. And it was on last year too. I hate it, and I can't skip over it since I'm watching live.

Even worse is the Discover commercial, where they find every annoying "No" clip from movies and TVs. I dive for the remote and hit the mute button as quickly as I can. My takeaway is, should I get a Discover card? How about NO.

Problem 1: The guy spent all that money/incurred all that debt without consulting his wife. Maybe she had something else in mind for that money.

Problem 2: The guy doesn't know his wife. He should already know that she'd prefer a pickup truck to an SUV

Problem 3: The ad perpetuates a sexist stereotype that pickup trucks are for men and SUV's for women.

The fact that the guy lets the woman have the pickup is not a problem. If he chose for her without asking, then he deserves what he gets. Besides, a considerate husband would always let his wife have first dibs of the last two cookies.

Problem 1: The guy spent all that money/incurred all that debt without consulting his wife. Maybe she had something else in mind for that money.

I agree with your other two points but DH and I always laughed at those commercials. No way either of us would have "surprised" the other with a gift that committed so much of our joint assets.

I have Netflix only. I don't miss commercials.

Last edited:

My husband could no sooner pick out the exact car I want, than the exact pair of shoes. I really don't know any woman that would be pleased by such a presentation. My husband could no sooner pick out the exact car I want, than the exact pair of shoes.

There is something very, very outdated about those commercials. Kinda like the Peloton one from last year...

Problem 2: The guy doesn't know his wife. He should already know that she'd prefer a pickup truck to an SUV

Problem 3: The ad perpetuates a sexist stereotype that pickup trucks are for men and SUV's for women.

The fact that the guy lets the woman have the pickup is not a problem. If he chose for her without asking, then he deserves what he gets. Besides, a considerate husband would always let his wife have first dibs of the last two cookies.

And let's not forget that she apparently bought TWO of them! Perhaps they have a NW deep in the 8 digits...then maybe it's not THAT bad. :LOL:

There is something very, very outdated about those commercials. Kinda like the Peloton one from last year...

But, but, we're talking about it! And I haven't seen it this year, but I remember it. Damn it, advertising works!

I think the audacity of it all (2 new vehicles) and the stereotypes are intentional. It is a bit of a fantasy, so you remember it.

Just like I remember the Tidy-Bowl man.

But, but, we're talking about it! And I haven't seen it this year, but I remember it. Damn it, advertising works!

I think the audacity of it all (2 new vehicles) and the stereotypes are intentional. It is a bit of a fantasy, so you remember it.

Just like I remember the Tidy-Bowl man.

But I sure couldn't tell you the brand of vehicle, so it didn't work that well.

Not to mention the sexist stereotype that the men are always on the hook to spend hefty sums on gifts for their women for Christmas, Valentines Day, and Mother's Day. I don't watch a lot of network TV, are there ads showing the ladies bestowing high-dollar items on their guys?

Good point. Me too! I have an idea, but I'm not going to look it up.

I do know the man in the toilet was Tidy Bowl, so yeah, that worked.

It could be a subliminal message about evolution and the challenges humanity faces in its search for enlightenment vs the trade offs we need to consider as mankind reaches the seventh stage of multi-dimensional reasoning and universal knowledge. The colors alone might be messages intended to influence our most deeply rooted inner senses.

Or, it could be just another forgettable car commercial.

Can’t get through to NJ Unemployment ��.
I have an old pet peeve about unemployment. After hurricane Michael, they extended unemployment to those that were self employed. My wife and I ran our business for 18 years, but the hurricane destroyed it.
My wife applied for unemployment and got the benefits. I didn't really care to apply, (just because I don't need no stinking government help) but she kept after me to apply, so I did.
They denied me! ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Sad when they build something so crappy people need to buy two. Sad they have to spend millions advertising crappy vehicles.

Perhaps those ads work. This is about Joe, my brother-in-law's brother-in-law, i.e., the man married to the sister of my brother-in-law.

One year, when my wife and I had not been married very long, damned if Joe didn't show up with a new Dodge Durango as a Christmas present for his new wife. She was very excited! My DW and I looked at each other like we were in a foreign galaxy. Really!?! Someone would think that this was a good idea to do "for his wife." And she thought this was a good act? Sheesh. We were incredulous.

Perhaps those ads work. This is about Joe, my brother-in-law's brother-in-law, i.e., the man married to the sister of my brother-in-law.

One year, when my wife and I had not been married very long, damned if Joe didn't show up with a new Dodge Durango as a Christmas present for his new wife. She was very excited! My DW and I looked at each other like we were in a foreign galaxy. Really!?! Someone would think that this was a good idea to do "for his wife." And she thought this was a good act? Sheesh. We were incredulous.

I don't like to hear stories about "Joe" making impulse financial decisions. I don't want it to spread!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom