What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Finnski,
After 60 years of Minnesota winters, I'm ready to try warm weather in the winter.

I agree it is busy around here, but we typically keep our travels to one short excursion a day maximum, and we try to go early.

Our townhome has been a haven of peace and quiet. We quit doing our tasks by 2-3pm, and take a swim in the pool to cool down.
(Note: See my pet peeve post about new noisy neighbor. Nothing is perfect. )

Everyone has a different idea of retirement. I get it. If this gets old, we will move on.

Take care, JP
Just one of many reasons I live on 8.5 acres in the woods of southern NH.
I do however know Bonita Springs well.
My BIL lives there year round and it is way too crowded and flat for me.:cool:
The last time we visited a few years ago it was 95 deg on April 1st. Way too hot for my liking.

Good grief! You folks actually watch and listen to commercials?! I have no inkling of ever seeing that one out of the corner of my eye - and I have an automatic reaction to mute the damn things. DVR or streaming is even better.

Good grief! You folks actually watch and listen to commercials?! I have no inkling of ever seeing that one out of the corner of my eye - and I have an automatic reaction to mute the damn things. DVR or streaming is even better.

I have a few favorite you tube channels from "average guys". I try to watch at least one or two commercials per episode. I would miss them if they left You tube. But, I do have limits, nothing political and the ad has to be 60 seconds or less.

As I said, live sports. I know some people will start them late and catch up, but I've got a few reasons I won't get into why I won't watch that way.

Long waits in doctor waiting rooms. Definitely a pet peeve of mine. Always has bugged me. But in these days of Covid even more so. I just waited a full hour in a busy, crowded waiting room to see my orthopedic doctor. That’s unacceptable.

I left my prior GP cause of long waits. You’d wait really long in the waiting room. Then finally get called back, only to wait a really long time in a patient room. He was a good doc, but the whole experience around him was a mess. My new GP is great. Don’t think I’ve ever waited 10 minutes to see him. Get new appointments same day or close to that. And he’s good at his job. Why is that so difficult for other doctors?

Galaxy,
I've been getting by with internet surfing, Netflix, YouTube and a free over the air digital antenna.

My woman friend has Hulu+. All streaming over the internet, and it includes live local TV, and live national channels including ESPN. I finally get some sports channels. I really like this, and no coaxial cables running all over the place.

We tried watching one of the series on Hulu, and it was unwatchable. I kid you not, it was at least 30% commercials. I stopped after 20 minutes. Ugh. I can't do it, even if the show is good.

It might be better with their movies. I watched one previously, and didn't notice the commercials as much.

JP

Just observation of drivers.

Today I was driving to a small town named Berlin in wetern PA, about a 26 mile trip. Saw four instances of drivers signaling (shocking event) to turn left. And proceeding to to hug the right shoulder of the road before actually tuning left.

Mute button. Or switch to another show that isn't on commercial, then switch back. And the ultimate solution : DVD. I agree about the 30% commercial time. Sometimes it just isn't worth watching, even a good show. Or the second gold standard : an interesting PBS show, which has NO COMMERCIALS.

Just observation of drivers.
Today I was driving to a small town named Berlin in wetern PA, about a 26 mile trip. Saw four instances of drivers signaling (shocking event) to turn left. And proceeding to to hug the right shoulder of the road before actually tuning left.

{OT} I spend time right near there in Central City, PA occasionally. The joke about which runs "it is neither central nor a city" :LOL: {OT}

Doing the WALT -- Wide A$$ Left Turn

Doing the WALT -- Wide A$$ Left Turn
Similar to the people in the little Honda coupe who swing out into the oncoming lane to make a right turn. It's as if they think they're driving a big truck.

Had an old childhood friend text that she was in the area and wanted to do a masked, socially distanced visit in our driveway. Sure, Ok.
She came last night, we were both masked, but she had some doughnuts, kept walking towards me as I said no several times, backing up. Ugh.

I left my prior GP cause of long waits. You’d wait really long in the waiting room. Then finally get called back, only to wait a really long time in a patient room.

I too have left doctors because of this. Now, I get that they're dealing with people and once in a while "stuff happens" that is simply unpredictable and that screws up the schedule for the rest of the day. So if it's once in a while I don't sweat it. But if it is every single time, I conclude that they either can't read a clock (this does not inspire confidence) or they have no regard for the value of other people's time, and that's just plain arrogance. Either way I'm outa there.

I make it a point to be on time for my appointments and I have little patience or regard for those who can't be bothered to make the same effort.

A minor one but has happened way too often....

Wife goes out to meet friends and asks if I want her to bring something home... sure, fajitas... now, for some reason she does not mention it or just accepts what they give, but I want flour tortillas... NOT corn...

Well, tonight I get CORN... and I am the bad guy when I complain about her messing up the order AGAIN...

Am I wrong?

GS2 is vegan. He says I'm insensitive.

We are doing lunch next Saturday. I'm making vegetarian matzo ball soup, DS is making latkes, DD is making a green salad, sufanyot are ordered (jam filled donuts), GS1 is trying to figure out what to make.

So GS2 can have salad, fried potatoe squares (premade not latkes), bread, and whatever dish he makes (told him that stove will be occupied). Latkes, matzo balls, and sufanyot have eggs so he can't have them. He's upset that he cannot have dessert says there are plenty of vegan Jews. Maybe but I have no idea how to make matzo balls or latkes without eggs. And I order dessert. That's why I'm insensitive.

Give him a plate of lawn grass, and say it's Pareve!

With that attitude, I'd be telling him that sure the dessert is vegan. Just as vegan as the Latkes, Matzo balls and sufanyot are. Then snort laugh and give him a slap in the face of sassing his elders.
The sheer gall of a GRAND son talking to any elder that way is inexcusable, let alone to me as their grand parent. I might also tell him he's got one chance to apologize and make it believable or he's cut from the will as well.

Time for some tough love, this boy has gotten out of control.
Oh, JFC, you don't have any idea what attitude and what way he said that. And you would cut him from the will? Get a grip.

Am I wrong?

We are doing lunch next Saturday. I'm making vegetarian matzo ball soup, DS is making latkes, DD is making a green salad, sufanyot are ordered (jam filled donuts), GS1 is trying to figure out what to make.

So GS2 can have salad, fried potatoe squares (premade not latkes), bread, and whatever dish he makes (told him that stove will be occupied). Latkes, matzo balls, and sufanyot have eggs so he can't have them. He's upset that he cannot have dessert says there are plenty of vegan Jews. Maybe but I have no idea how to make matzo balls or latkes without eggs. And I order dessert. That's why I'm insensitive.
You're not wrong. Is he a teenager? Most teenagers can't see anyone's point of view than their own. My sister's child asked her if she could please stop BREATHING (she was congested) when she went in to wake him up. My husband regrets how irritated he was with his mom clanking dishes in the kitchen in the morning before school and waking him up when he was a teenager- you know, making him breakfast...

Am I wrong?

My GF's daughter (HS age) is vegan. I try my best to accommodate her. I have enough respect for her to try. It's your choice what to do with your GS.

He's 19, graduated HS 2 yrs ago. Not going to school or ever worked. He's a musician. Reality will kick him in the a$$. I was just shocked that he blew up. Anyway I think I figured out a solution

Us -> his alternative (green salad for all)
Latkes -> Hash brown patty
Matzoh ball soup -> Ramen
Sufanyot -> there's a fruit bowl on the counter

Last edited:
Am I wrong?

Maybe he should bring his own vegan food, at least the ones that are difficult to make vegan. Guys like that are giving vegans a bad name.

Last edited:
Maybe he should bring his own vegan food, at least the ones that are difficult to make vegan. Guys like that are the ones giving vegans a bad name.

Totally agree. There is no need for rancor or debate. Just "Hey, great! This is what we are having. You can bring whatever you want. And, no, sweetie, I am not being insensitive. I will do me, and you can do you! Love you, and I cannot wait to try your vegan dish."

I like vegans - skewered and lightly grilled. Although you do need to marinate them for several hours beforehand. Add a side of piccolo farro, some roasted vegetables and a bottle of good zinfandel, and you're ready for a feast.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom