What is your pet peeve of the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was at an ATM yesterday. Put card in, wait 5 seconds, ad appears on screen. Wait ten seconds, another ad appears on screen. No way to click it off, you have to wait. No one was behind me, fortunately. What a huge waste of time and sanity.

Large, tortoise-like individuals who block the egress from the cash registers to the exit door at box stores. They can sense, without looking, when to move left or right, to block you from going around them.

I've encountered those people......they seem to always appear right in front of you when entering a supermarket through the automatic doors.......once the doors open they stand there transfixed & gaping like stoners who have been magically transported to Saturn.

I was at an ATM yesterday. Put card in, wait 5 seconds, ad appears on screen. Wait ten seconds, another ad appears on screen. No way to click it off, you have to wait. No one was behind me, fortunately. What a huge waste of time and sanity.

If a gas station doesn't give you the ability to mute their ads at the pump, I will not purchase gas there.

That was one my pet peeves when I was working: people who respond to only either the first or last question in a list. Either they can only be bothered to read the first one, or they have such a short attention span they can only retain the last.

Yes, a surprising number of people (including my ex boss), can only handle one question at a time. Sounds crazy, but just send him 8 e-mails in a row with one question each.

Yes, a surprising number of people (including my ex boss), can only handle one question at a time. Sounds crazy, but just send him 8 e-mails in a row with one question each.

I worked with several people who could not answer even the one question.

I have your sidewalks and street lights, and love having them. :D I love having a street light right in front of my house, even though it shines in the bedroom window. I think/hope it deters crime. No cars have parked on my lawn that I ever knew about. I didn't invite a single soul over here on the 4th. OK, I think one of us must be living in Reverse World.

I know better than to argue on these boards :) but I not talking about party parking, I get that. I am talking about people with too many cars or cars they don't use, please don't just leave those on the lawn, it looks bad.

+1. Is it really that hard to lift the seat? I suspect there's some deep germophobia going on--yet I'll bet a nickel the same jerk touched the slide-lock on the stall door before using the same hand to . . . do everything else. That slide lock is probably the germiest item in the lavatory.

lol, what I can't understand is that my college age sons brag about the ability to write their names in the snow with their aim and yet cannot seem to find a big stationary hole. grrrr:mad: only estrogen in a house full of testosterone.

Today's pet peeve - people out in public totally ignoring the person they are with to look at their phone. Yesterday it was a dad with a toddler at lunch. He never stopped looking at his phone, not once.

I saw the saddest thing on vacation.

I was at Disneyworld with family. we were on "Its a small world" ride and in front of me was a little girl literally bouncing up and down from excitement. she had on a pin that said "first trip to disney" anyhoo, she kept saying "mommy look at ___" Mom was totally ignoring her while reading her texts. I know it's judgmental but I really wanted to smack her upside her head and yell, your daughter is trying to engage, put down the darn phone"

Small groups of 2 - 3 people who ride the down escalator, reach the bottom, take one step off and then stop to discus where they want to go next. All the time the escalator is continuing to dump other people into the area they have squatted on.

Small groups of 2 - 3 people who ride the down escalator, reach the bottom, take one step off and then stop to discus where they want to go next. All the time the escalator is continuing to dump other people into the area they have squatted on.

Happens at the top of the ski lift too. Arrrgh!!

Grocery stores that put all sorts of short-term sale or seasonal stuff in the aisles to the point that it makes it hard to get past them. I realize that they want to maximize sales per square foot, but at one we regularly go to, I'm thinking about changing to a different store that doesn't do that nearly as much.

I saw a bad case of this at the base of the escalator at the international arrivals area of an airport (Newark?). The idiots who set up the lines where you get your passport and papers reviewed put a "left/middle/right" decision point (US citizens/Non-US/"problem children") 10 feet from the bottom of a long escalator. Lots of standing and reading as people (some non-English speakers) decide which line to get into. The escalator was jam packed--babies in strollers, small children, everybody has their carry-on bags, etc. Very dangerous--once the crowd backs up onto the escalator and people get their feet dragged out from under them by those very sharp stairs, toppling the people behind them who would now have their heads and torsos against the "stair" risers as they advanced, etc. A few folks at the bottom just pushed through the knot and moved the damn signs and stanchions.
I'm sure somebody would eventually hit the emergency stop button, or the escalator has some sort of sensor to detect a problem, but that strikes me as a non-optimum answer.

I approached a Customs agent about the hazard, he didn't see how he could do anything, since "they aren't our signs." I found a real airport cop (uniform, badge, gun), explained the problem. He "got it" instantly, and he took charge of the fix.

Last edited:
Grocery stores that put all sorts of short-term sale or seasonal stuff in the aisles to the point that it makes it hard to get past them. I realize that they want to maximize sales per square foot, but at one we regularly go to, I'm thinking about changing to a different store that doesn't do that nearly as much.

I used to somewhat enjoy shopping at Bed Bath Beyond in the days when I actually needed to build up my kitchen and linens. Today, there is so much crap in the aisles you can't move (especially when what little room there is, is being occupied by a turtle shifting right and left), AND you are bombarded by infomercials blaring. I used to reach over and turn the sound all the way down on those while I shopped, but lately they've made that inaccessible.

My pet peeve is car dealers who like to keep the final price a mystery until you come in for a test drive . Just give me the bottom line and I will decide if I want the car at that price .

Grocery stores that put all sorts of short-term sale or seasonal stuff in the aisles to the point that it makes it hard to get past them. ..........
Home Depot has gotten really bad with respect to junk in the aisles - BBQ grilles, special displays, not to mention forklifts and moveable stairs. Trying to maneuver a cart with 8 or 10 foot lumber all the way to the cash register is a real chore. :blush:

Follow up to a pet peeve I posted way back somewhere in this long thread: the bait and switch Centurylink pulled on me regarding prices. As I reported, I even had the salesman's quote in writing from him, and Centurylink refused to honor it (after all the equipment was installed, of course). Today, the MN attorney general slapped them with a lawsuit because of hundreds of similar complaints. Obviously, I'm not alone. Just a bit of gloating, finally...

Just got DW's handicap plates on her car. Ever try to find a hanicap parking spot at Walmart? They are all full by 10:00 am and seem to stay that way (must be the employees taking them!).

Just got DW's handicap plates on her car. Ever try to find a hanicap parking spot at Walmart? They are all full by 10:00 am and seem to stay that way (must be the employees taking them!).

I've found 10 p.m. on the other hand means things clear up a lot, and you have a lot less people of Walmart to deal with. Win-win, even if it means a later bedtime. ;)

My pet peeve at the moment came in trying to find a single container to hold all my irregular-shaped things.

Like tools right now. I found a couple different rolling tool bags, but couldn't really visualize what would fit best. So I bought both and plan on returning the one that doesn't work.

Same with trying to find a gym bag to hold all kinds of different workout equipment.

And then some kind of organizational unit to keep all these funky kitchen tools and utensils from becoming an unmanageable pile in a miscellaneous drawer. I think I'm just going to stick a bunch of pegboards up on the kitchen walls and follow in the footsteps of Julia Child.

It feels like I'm trying to put a lot of square things in round holes right now. It may be OCD, or the engineer in me, or a combination of both, but it kills me when I can't have things organized and easily accessible.

I've found 10 p.m. on the other hand means things clear up a lot, and you have a lot less people of Walmart to deal with. Win-win, even if it means a later bedtime. ;)

Yes, 10:00 pm is always good, but the Pharmacy is closed and I usually go there to get her meds. It[s the place we have her Part D plan so we are stuck with it.

I saw the saddest thing on vacation.

I was at Disneyworld with family. we were on "Its a small world" ride and in front of me was a little girl literally bouncing up and down from excitement. she had on a pin that said "first trip to disney" anyhoo, she kept saying "mommy look at ___" Mom was totally ignoring her while reading her texts. I know it's judgmental but I really wanted to smack her upside her head and yell, your daughter is trying to engage, put down the darn phone"

The kids are always so excited and are nicely asking for attention, hard to watch, probably not a good idea to intervene.

Yes, 10:00 pm is always good, but the Pharmacy is closed and I usually go there to get her meds. It[s the place we have her Part D plan so we are stuck with it.

Not being able to have med easily mailed straight to your house. Yep. Adding that to my pet peeve of the day, since I had to spend three hours this morning getting to an appointment for a script for a refill I had to directly hand to the pharmacist. It's a refill. I already have the medication. Just mail it to me. Don't make me jump through hoops.

Not being able to have med easily mailed straight to your house. Yep. Adding that to my pet peeve of the day, since I had to spend three hours this morning getting to an appointment for a script for a refill I had to directly hand to the pharmacist. It's a refill. I already have the medication. Just mail it to me. Don't make me jump through hoops.

We don't trust the post office. We have had other people's meds show up in our mailbox, and I delivered them to thier addresses. One was a mile away. DW is on several expensive meds so we don't take the chance.

This one is fast becoming a pet peeve. Why do people post a video of something on Facebook that is just a picture and maybe some music? Usually it's just a catchy phrase or something but it might be 30 or 60 seconds of the same picture.

When pure BS gets in the way of the best technical or economical solution.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom