What toothpaste do you like?

Man, 3 pages on toothpaste... let's get some hobbies people! :)

I thinking of petitioning the FDA to make high fluoride toothpaste non-prescription during coronavirus. I don't know of anything as harmless as high fluoride toothpaste that requires a prescription. I think it doesn't in Canada. It makes me wish I was in Maine and had a passport. NY is a little too far. Wait...I have to check a map. But NYC is too far anyway.

Last edited:
I buy either AIM or Pepsident for .99 cents each. Just as good as any other brand.

Man, 3 pages on toothpaste... let's get some hobbies people! :)

With Covid, protests, California and Oregon burning, I find the mundaneness of this discussion soothing. I also find Amethyst’s search for the perfect ice maker strangely fascinating even though I hate iced drinks.

Last edited:
Many toothpastes contain sweeteners and I found out that I can't stand them.
I switched 6 years ago to a mix of baking soda and coconut oil (just melt and combine). I can also add a flavored oil of my choice too. 1/4 cup of the soda/oil mix lasts me several months - and for just pennies.

I switched 6 years ago to a mix of baking soda and coconut oil (just melt and combine). I can also add a flavored oil of my choice too. 1/4 cup of the soda/oil mix lasts me several months - and for just pennies.

OK, more than a few pennies but possibly more convenient - Eco-Dent tooth powder.

I started using it for backpacking trips and still keep it around for a nice change from the usual paste. I am not brand loyal.

Agree, the new Colgate Total is horrible and leaves a weird taste in my mouth. Went back to the classic Colgate white paste with flouride.

I’ve used Crest my whole life but switched to Sensodyne about a year ago for a trial and my teeth look much whiter. 😁

Colgate Advanced Whitening from Costco.
You get 4 big toothpastes and think it works well.

Last edited:
A couple of years ago I read that xylitol was very effective at preventing gingivitis, if memory serves.

Apparently the bacteria that causes plaque just hates xylitol. Or something like that. Haven’t looked into it for awhile.

Bought the Amazon Choice toothpaste with highest level of xylitol, also has floride.

Squigle Enamel Saver Toothpaste. It’s very pleasant

Hygienist remarked my gums were doing well, which I was happy to hear, as tooth maintenance is slipping in retirement.

I wouldn’t recommend xylitol as sugar replacement for consumption. Gave me stomach issues when I tried it. Fine for toothpaste if you spit it out.

A couple of years ago I read that xylitol was very effective at preventing gingivitis, if memory serves.

Apparently the bacteria that causes plaque just hates xylitol. Or something like that. Haven’t looked into it for awhile.

Bought the Amazon Choice toothpaste with highest level of xylitol, also has floride.

Squigle Enamel Saver Toothpaste. It’s very pleasant

Hygienist remarked my gums were doing well, which I was happy to hear, as tooth maintenance is slipping in retirement.

I wouldn’t recommend xylitol as sugar replacement for consumption. Gave me stomach issues when I tried it. Fine for toothpaste if you spit it out.

The bacteria eat the xylitol then starve to death because it has no nutritional value. I've read xylitol can act as a laxative, like other synthetic sugars such as lactulose.

The bacteria eat the xylitol then starve to death because it has no nutritional value. I've read xylitol can act as a laxative, like other synthetic sugars such as lactulose.

I might need to revisit using xylitol instead of stevia as a sweetener.

Wondering if it’s safer than long term use of miralax as constipation preventive ? but that’s a different thread discussion

I might need to revisit using xylitol instead of stevia as a sweetener.

Wondering if it’s safer than long term use of miralax as constipation preventive ? but that’s a different thread discussion

I chew gum with sorbitol for that reason:rolleyes:

I like gels, mainly Aim which came out in the 1970s. If another gel like Aim is on sale or at the dollar store, I'll get it instead.

Sensodyne for the past 15 years or so. Ever since I had sensitivity issues and my dentist recommended it.

No issues since so I have just kept on using it.

Just started using a Sonicare toothbrush, since I have never flossed, and probably should do at least one thing right, once and awhile. I also started using Colgate Optic White Advanced, to try and whiten my teeth a bit, since they have always been yellower than I would like. No problems so far (about 1 week into it). I'll probably switch to a less abrasive toothpaste after this tube is done.

Crest basic w floride and NO plastic beads. Those plastic beads play havoc on the environment and ultimately fish life.

Sensodyne from Costco.

Just like body health, my teeth health is important as I close in on 50.

I actually do floss every single day. A few brushes with cavities has made me want to avoid root canals, crowns, caps, cavities all together if possible.

When the dental assistant asks if I floss daily, I say "yes, every single day".

I know some floss after every meal, but that is going to take a whole next level sense of dedication. :)

My old school dentist back when I was a young guy was very bright. He said you could brush with straw if you wanted, brushing was the important thing.

He also said water would be the next scarce substance (this was back when we had the gas crisis.

If you have to be listening to someone while they work on your teeth, it helps if they have some interesting things to say.

Back
Top Bottom