What was your COVID news for the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
OK, now I'm scared. If I read my county's order, effective midnight tonight, absolutely NO gatherings of any number except for approved exemptions such as caring for elderly, etc. Must stay at home unless absolutely essential to leave. This means I can go to the grocery store, but I can't go to the mail place to pick up our mail! You cannot invite any number of people over to your house...it says this specifically, I'm not kidding.

Reading the order and FAQs, my friend who drives up from her place in same town cannot come up to our place to walk in the hood and vice versa.

What's amazing is that we got an e-mail from cuz who mentioned about the lockdown in San Francisco (not my bay area county). She says her community is about a week behind. I know I'm not going to sleep well tonight (I didn't last night either).

OK, now I'm scared. If I read my county's order, effective midnight tonight, absolutely NO gatherings of any number except for approved exemptions such as caring for elderly, etc. Must stay at home unless absolutely essential to leave. This means I can go to the grocery store, but I can't go to the mail place to pick up our mail! You cannot invite any number of people over to your house...it says this specifically, I'm not kidding.

Reading the order and FAQs, my friend who drives up from her place in same town cannot come up to our place to walk in the hood and vice versa.

What's amazing is that we got an e-mail from cuz who mentioned about the lockdown in San Francisco (not my bay area county). She says her community is about a week behind. I know I'm not going to sleep well tonight (I didn't last night either).

OK, I am curious to look up to see what it entails for counties around SF Bay.

I don't think they can really enforce it, and they say they will rely on voluntary compliance.

And the list of essential services that can stay open is a long one, which includes groceries, gas stations, hardware and plumbing stores, banks, pet stores, convenience stores, produce stands, auto repair garages, mailing services, etc...

Last edited:
I remember your post about your DD and if it's possible I'd help out a little so she doesn't deplete her savings. Not pay all bills but enough so that she has a little wiggle room. JMHO

Ironically she has more cash to spare than we do, since she was saving up while living at home. :)

She still has her primary income from her assisted living job. The theater was only about a third of her income. I'm trying to convince her to apply for the unemployment set up in our state for folks out of work due to COVID-19. I don't know if she will or not.

I got notice this morning that my mom's assisted living is now on full quarantine. Previously they were just in lock-down with no visitors. Now the residents can't even leave their rooms. Food is brought to their room three times a day, and a snack mid-afternoon. I called mom this afternoon and while she said she was doing fine I could tell she was really anxious (she already suffers from anxiety and stresses out easily). Hopefully she can make it through this without a meltdown.

Being stuck at home doesn't seem so bad. I can't image not being able to leave my room or go outside.

I don't think they can really enforce it, and they say they will rely on voluntary compliance.

And the list of essential services that can stay open is a long one, which includes groceries, gas stations, hardware and plumbing stores, banks, pet stores, convenience stores, produce stands, auto repair garages, mailing services, etc...

Different counties have different requirements. Just got an alert from a neighboring county and their requirements echo the state's and are not as severe as ours. Ours specifically state you 'cannot invite a friend to your house to hang out'. You can only leave your home for 'essential reasons', and the like and yes, picking up my mail is considered essential.

Everything is shutting down for non-essential services including dentists/doctors offices, medical clinics, restaurants except to take out and delivery, barbers...I need to cancel my upcoming hair appt, but maybe not as it's in a neighboring county and she may not have to close up.

Enforcement is a different story. I doubt that they will unless the order is fragrantly disobeyed.

Last edited:
As of today, Los Angeles county has 94 cases. It was only 69 yesterday. They display a map showing where they are in each neighborhood. My neighborhood now shows 3 cases.

We will self quarantine for the next 2-3 weeks before I have to buy food. I am not opening my door for anyone. I won't touch my mail with my bare hands. I will wear my mask, glasses, hat, gloves next time when I leave my house.

We can walk the dog, hike, and go for runs. Important to exercise

Santa Cruz County has joined the list of counties requiring shelter in place

Two weeks ago I had my annual eye exam, at which I ordered and paid for three new pairs of glasses (distance; reading; sun).

The eye doctor's office called today to say the glasses are ready. I debated for awhile about whether to go pick them up tomorrow. I have been self-quarantining since coming home from w#rk on Friday. We are all w#rking from home until further notice. I plan to only go out for groceries when necessary for the foreseeable future.

I had a chat with the optician who called, and she said almost everyone is cancelling their appointments so they have hardly any people in the place. They are taking it day by day; currently they are there about half-time, but she expects they will close up shop soon due either to (1) lack of business or (2) being deemed "non-essential services." For the moment she said she is sterilizing everything that comes in (eg, my new glasses) and they are constantly washing hands and wiping down everything in the place, as well as limiting customers to two at a time on the premises.

I am 64 with no underlying health conditions. Two years ago I was immuno-compromised, but my immune system has completely recovered. I have decided to do a "hit and run" tomorrow to grab the glasses.

Here's my plan:

Wear a mask (my first time for this anywhere).
Wear disposable gloves (already use these for mail, packages, gas pump, etc)
Take alcohol wipes with me for every surface, door handle, etc. (ditto above)
Take a resealable plastic bag for them to drop the glasses into.
I won't have the glasses adjusted for fit; I can do that at a later date - I don't want anyone touching my face!! :nonono:
Stay six feet away from everyone in the office.

This is the best I can come up with, since my full-on hazmat suit is at the cleaners. :LOL:

I described my plan to the optician, and I said I hoped she wouldn't be offended. She said heck no, because she would be wearing gloves and holding disinfectant wipes and wouldn't come anywhere near me either! :D

I asked her if support staff like herself would get paid if the office closes, and she said yes, which I was glad to hear. I can't imagine the financial devastation this situation is going to wreak on small businesses, and millions of people in the service industries that are affected. :(

This has been a wild ride already!

I was flying back home from GA, where my DF is in hospice at an elderly care home, on March 3. On March 2, the first cases of GA COVID-19 were announced.
Atlanta, GA – This evening, Governor Brian Kemp, Georgia Department of Public Health (DPH) Commissioner Kathleen Toomey, M.D., and state officials confirmed Georgia’s first cases of Coronavirus Disease 2019 (COVID-19) involving two residents of Fulton County who live in the same household. One recently returned from Italy. Both have mild symptoms; they are isolated at home with other relatives to keep the illness from spreading.

I had tickets to fly back again for 3 weeks on Mar 12 with DH joining me a week later, but early morning Mar 10 I did a check of the GA cases, and there was obviously significant community spread in the Atlanta metro area, including a couple of cases in a neighboring county where DB lives. I became concerned about ease of travel back and forth via air not to mention personal safety. So I cancelled our flights and DH and I prepared to drive cross country and stay for several months. Our car is loaded with supplies! We’re almost there.

Just checking the news this morning - GA is up to 121 cases! Yesterday’s number was 99 up 22 from the prior day! They are currently only able to do 100 tests a day in GA. DB’s county now has 10 cases versus 2 a week ago. A TSA agent at Atlanta Airport international terminal has recently tested positive for COVID-19. He last worked Mar 7. The vast majority of the cases are in Atlanta area and North GA. Our destination of central GA has no cases yet - knocking on wood!
There are 121 confirmed cases of COVID-19 in Georgia, according to the Georgia Department of Public Health. Atlanta public schools are closing for two weeks in response to the outbreak starting on Monday (March 16).

Georgia is closing all public schools from Wednesday (March 18) to March 31, Governor Brian Kemp said in a March 16 statement.

Kemp declared a public health state emergency for Georgia at a press conference on Saturday (March 14). "Out of an abundance of caution, I have worked with the Georgia General Assembly to appropriate $100 million in emergency funding to address the spread of coronavirus in Georgia,” Kemp said.

They are also increasing the capacity to test coronavirus samples, he said. Right now Georgia can test 100 specimens per day, but they we will double it to 200 per day by the end of the week with addition of new equipment and staffing, Kemp said.
What a difference 2 weeks makes!

Last edited:
In France, we are now under mandatory confinement as of 12:00pm CET. Police will be monitoring our movements and we need a pass to get out to buy groceries.

At 8:00 am this morning (4 hours before the mandatory confinement was to start), my mom called me to let me know that she didn't have much in her pantry. I warned her 3 weeks ago to start stocking up. She said that she would but she didn't. She thought that I was overreacting. She didn't think it possible for the government to suspend our freedom of movement. Since she belongs to a group at risk, I spent the morning rushing through the stores to pick up some groceries for her. For my part, I was well prepared and had started to self-isolate a few days ago but I didn't count on other people dropping the ball like that :facepalm:.

Last edited:
Scavenger hunt for eggs was unsuccessful. Will try again later this pm. I’m struck by how much more public interaction is required in the face of shortages. TP roll count now 10 (we remain vigilant on TP sightings). We’ve switched to cloth napkins and towels to conserve paper towels (no plans to substitute for TP, just conserving paper goods).

We did, however take a nice scenic, road-trip-like drive in the process and that part was fun.

Will forage at the liquor store later today before these close.

Last edited:
There are plenty of people out there who think they have spring pollen fevers, or really just don't think about a few coughs. But they can spread it.

On Saturday DH and I went to a garden center to take advantage of a special on Scott's 4 Step fertilizer. Our cashier was wearing gloves and constantly sniffling. She said it was from the deer repellent that was stocked close to her register. Maybe, maybe not. At any rate, I'm trying not to get too close to any cashier right now, though it's impossible to keep 6 feet away. I try to stand a couple of feet back until I have to sign the pad. They may be just as afraid of the customers, too.

Different counties have different requirements. Just got an alert from a neighboring county and their requirements echo the state's and are not as severe as ours. Ours specifically state you 'cannot invite a friend to your house to hang out'. You can only leave your home for 'essential reasons', and the like and yes, picking up my mail is considered essential.

Everything is shutting down for non-essential services including dentists/doctors offices, medical clinics, restaurants except to take out and delivery, barbers...I need to cancel my upcoming hair appt, but maybe not as it's in a neighboring county and she may not have to close up.

Enforcement is a different story. I doubt that they will unless the order is fragrantly disobeyed.

hair splitting literally on the hair appointment come on now you know the right thing to do is too cancel that even if she doesn't close down.

News of the day regarding new workplace restrictions at DH's employer:

Cafeteria service is now carryout only. Self-service stations are closed. Soups are now served by a team member. Salads are now prepackaged. At some locations, lunch break schedules are being altered to avoid too many people having to be close together.

On-site gyms are closed, fitness classes are cancelled, locker rooms are closed.

On-site conference rooms are closed. Meetings are to be held via Skype or other teleconferencing methods. If an in-person meeting is absolutely necessary, no more than 5 persons with a minimum of 6 feet of distance between them. (The irony is that the workstations themselves don't even have 6 feet of space between them.) All other regular meetings and events are cancelled.

All travel between the various locations is restricted and requires special permission. Corporate sponsored volunteer activities and onsite extracurricular meetings and activities are cancelled/postponed through March 31 at least.

Senior leadership has been divided into 2 teams with each reporting for work on alternate days to avoid...well...having all the executives absent at once because of the virus. They're figuring out how to implement this among the rest of the management.

Yesterday's work from home stress test was successful. Anyone who worked from home yesterday is supposed to do so today. They're going through a process of designating people as "required on-site" (DH is) and "not required on-site", which may be a fluid process. DH said it was nice to work yesterday without all the distractions. Only about 10% of the employees were there.

DD's workplace:

I dropped her off at Panera Bread before 7 AM. There was a notice posted on the door, probably notifying customers of the Governor's order. The door was locked and she had to bang on it to get someone's attention to let her in. It's usually unlocked, so I'm guessing that they might not be allowing customers in at all to prevent trouble. (You know, you'll get that one who refuses to leave and tries to sit down and eat just to make a point.) This is her first day at work since the new order, so I'll get more exact info later.

At the Taco Bell across the street, I saw the same thing. An employee tried to get in the front door, but it was locked. He had to bang on a side service door to get in.

There was still a good amount of traffic out at that hour, though the gas stations looked a little less crowded with people filling up.

Watching eaglets grow online at live Eagle Cam. I donated and joined. We're voting today, I'll wear my N99 military mask I got on Amazon last year, and gloves. They've only tested 50 people in our entire county. That's all the test kits they had. Takes 5-7 days for results. One case so far.

Perhaps the FDA could direct the pertinent pharmaceutical companies to ramp up production of the drugs and to distribute them on a "compassionate need" basis, with some type of regulation or legislation to exempt them from liability suits. Get these drugs in the field ASAP.

We have been loading our stuff to the PODs for our move since yesterday. In the original plan is to hire someone to help us. But we decided to do it ourselves to avoid any contact. Too extreme??

Elderly mother (almost 90) lives in an independent living apartment in a CCRC. Yesterday they put everything on "lock down". Residents can still go out but all common areas, activities, etc are closed. Communal dining is closed--all meals to be delivered to DM's apartment (previously to get meals delivered was an extra $5 charge). Mother is lonely and anxious. I had been calling her every other day, now I will call her at least once or maybe twice a day. Two weeks ago I went to visit her (she lives and hour and a half away) and took her to the store to stock up. At that time she said she did not need to stock up but now she tells me she is grateful I took her to stock up. She is having trouble with her Part D insurer (BCBS) allowing here to go ahead and get her medicines refilled early. I may have to call them.

Last edited:
This makes me smile. Our local nextdoor board is not so helpful.

Many offers of help for people showing up in our Nextdoor app. Whether it is for grocery shopping, medicines, even sitting for kids whose parents still have to go to work.

In France, we are now under mandatory confinement as of 12:00pm CET. Police will be monitoring our movements and we need a pass to get out to buy groceries.

How do you get a pass?

How do you get a pass?

It is downloaded from a government website as a PDF and we need to fill it out every time we must go out (it needs to be presented to the police with a piece of ID in case we encounter a checkpoint).

Last edited:
Yesterday our Governor filed a lawsuit to stop the polling places from opening today. Many senior poll workers were still willing to work today a week ago when we only had 3 confirmed cases. Yesterday, with 50 confirmed, not so much. Plus, they're required to be there for 13 hours. The judge denied the request and ordered that the polls be opened on the grounds it would set a dangerous precedent to cancel voting with only 12 hours notice. Late last night, the Governor had the Ohio Department of Health Director order the polls closed by declaring a public health emergency, citing that to expose the seniors to thousands of people throughout such a long period of time is too dangerous to them. There was much confusion, with some poll workers being told early in the evening not to report to the polls, while others were told to report to the polls, while others heard nothing at all. On local forums, some people stubbornly insisted that the judge's order has to stand and they intended to show up at the polls today to vote. A quick Google search would have quickly confirmed they'd be showing up for nothing, but they preferred to spend an inordinate amount of time arguing the point, rather than looking it up for themselves. The next step is to get absentee voting extended and to have the polls open for in-person voting on June 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom