What was your COVID news for the day?

Status
Not open for further replies.
DH just went in for his 2nd test. His symptoms are classic, high fever for 7 days, chills, sweating, cough, sleepless nights, lethargy. After Dr appt. she called and requested a 2nd test. Dr said tests are 70% accurate and that's approximate. We are able to keep our distance at home, sanitizing everything...constantly. I make all the food, kitchen is off limits to him. He sleeps in our guest room on the opposite side of the house with his own bathroom/shower. We watch TV in separate rooms and don't get less than 6 ft from each other.

I'm fine, so far. No fever and I feel good.
2nd test negative. In our 37 years together, I've never seen him this sick. Some weird bacterial or virus floating around-other than Covid. His temp to 98 degrees. First time in 8 days. I'm relieved and hope to stop thinking germs are everywhere.

2nd test negative. In our 37 years together, I've never seen him this sick. Some weird bacterial or virus floating around-other than Covid. His temp to 98 degrees. First time in 8 days. I'm relieved and hope to stop thinking germs are everywhere.

Good news overall. Good to hear.

Reading this I don't know what to think about COVID tests..was the first test wrong and the second came late enough in the illness he tested negative?

To be honest there no way I think he coincidentally picked up another random nasty, nasty virus with all the signs of COVID. Something doesn't add up.
The main thing of course is that he is feeling better and you are still feeling good.

I'm with Ivinsfan on this. But what can you do? Nothing. Just hope he continues to improve and hope that this whole testing thing (both for detecting active COVID and antibody testing) can reach a higher level of accuracy than they currently exhibit.

Thanks. I feel like Howard Hughes. The thoughts that go through my mind are interesting. If this gets beyond serious, we only have a short window to make sure our affairs are in order. I'm suddenly more charitable than ever. I want this earth/life to be better and am thinking of the best charities to do that. It's like a Dr giving you 3 weeks to live.

Now, all maybe fine and he pulls through and I don't catch Covid. He's strong and hasn't been sick in 20 years. I've never seen him like this, so I have to consider the worst and hope for the best.

How are you all today Rianne?
In the hospital, proning has been found to help patients oxygen levels. Proning is the position of flat, belly side down. If your husband is having trouble sleeping, is he a side or a back sleeper?
Also, do you have a pulse oximeter? This little device indirectly measures the saturation of blood with oxygen and can be more helpful in picking up when a patient’s clinical course is worsening, earlier than symptoms or how a patient feels.

Gosh, based on the experience sure seems like you’d need to assume covid-19. Maybe if virus is not present in the nose in sufficient concentration the test can’t detect it, even if someone is quite sick. I have read that someone can be ill without large amounts of the virus present in the upper respiratory system.

How are you all today Rianne?
In the hospital, proning has been found to help patients oxygen levels. Proning is the position of flat, belly side down. If your husband is having trouble sleeping, is he a side or a back sleeper?
Also, do you have a pulse oximeter? This little device indirectly measures the saturation of blood with oxygen and can be more helpful in picking up when a patient’s clinical course is worsening, earlier than symptoms or how a patient feels.
As of this moment, DH has more energy and fever broke (first time in 8 days). He slept last night without soaking the bed (also first time in 8 days). He had uncontrollable shaking, sweating, chills. I was checking his temp every 2 hours. He was wrapped up in a fetal position with a heavy blanket for days. I hesitate to be so descriptive but holy crap. I ordered the pulse oximeter, arriving in the next week. My thinking, germs on every surface and keeping our distance-I held my breath when I got close to him and took a deep breath, like 10 feet away. I kept in mind Dr. Peter Attia's podcasts about aerosol transference. My paranoia kicked my butt. So far, I'm fine, no temp no symptoms. I'm grateful for the floor plan of our ranch style house. It's split down the middle with both sides equipped with bed/bath. Kitchen was off limits to him. He actually wore a mask when he did get up and around. Crazy times.

2nd test negative. In our 37 years together, I've never seen him this sick.

Apparently, from what I have read, our bodies ability to fight infections drops drops significantly as we age past 40. So unless you two were childhood spouses in grade school, you are probably up there in age and it might have happened with any infectious illness. I know that is not very comforting. We older people just have to be more careful all the time. That's why I gave up bungee jumping and boulder hopping my way up and down mountains. I hope he is better soon.

Last edited:
Apparently, from what I have read, our bodies ability to fight infections drops drops significantly as we age past 40. So unless you two were childhood spouses in grade school, you are probably up there in age and it might have happened with any infectious illness. I know that is not very comforting. We older people just have to be more careful.
We met in 1982, got married in 1984. Lived together before marriage. We're 3 months apart, both 62 now.

👍 I think the second week is the really critical time period for anyone over the age of 30, and esp. >50. Specifically the 7-10 day period. This is the period that is unpredictable. I think in some people, the virus gets out of hand and continues to destroy cells. In others, their immune system ramps up too much and causes damage. So it might be key for people not to get lulled into thinking they are healing and then over do activities. Because a battle is still being fought internally, it’s still important to rest, rest, rest.

Fingers crossed that you stay well and healthy!!

A quick follow up thought...I'm still thinking about the asymptomatic days before the onset of those symptoms. I was not protecting myself and I understand the contagion is highest before symptom onset. That's why I think this may not have been Covid.

A quick follow up thought...I'm still thinking about the asymptomatic days before the onset of those symptoms. I was not protecting myself and I understand the contagion is highest before symptom onset. That's why I think this may not have been Covid.

You know I just saw another story about a doctor that tested positive, lived at home with several family members and none of them got Covid.

Common colds and flu are pretty transmissible inside a family too. Most likely your precautions have saved you so far and let's hope that continues..most certainly your hubby had something viral.

Could be. Maybe really avoid potential SARS CoV2 for awhile so you all can build back up your immune systems. And I think having a pulse ox is not a bad idea since this virus is going to be around for awhile. Which reminds me, I need to order one for my mom to have on hand.

Ohio put out new COVID-19 testing guidelines on April 22nd. They were as follows:

Priority 1

Individuals with symptoms who are:

Hospitalized.
Healthcare workers.

Priority 2

Individuals with symptoms who are:

In long-term care/congregate living facilities.
First responders/critical infrastructure workers.
65 and older.
Living with underlying conditions.

Priority 2a

Individuals and staff without symptoms who are:

In long-term care/congregate living facilities with an outbreak.

Priority 3:

Other individuals with symptoms.
Individuals with mild symptoms in areas with high COVID-19 hospitalizations.

Source: Updated COVID-19 Testing Guidance April 22, 2020

Today they've changed those guidelines. The new guidelines are as follows:

Priority 1: Ohioans with symptoms who are hospitalized or healthcare workers
Priority 2: Ohioans with symptoms who are residents of longterm care, congregate living settings, first responders, public health workers, critical infrastructure workers, 65 or older or living with underlying health conditions. Ohioans without symptoms who are residents or staff directly exposed during an outbreak in longterm care or congregate living settings. Other Ohioans who are designated by public health officials to evaluate and manage community outbreaks.
Priority 3: Ohioans with and without symptoms who receiving essential surgeries/procedures, including those that were reassessed after a delay, receiving other medically necessary procedures not requiring an overnight stay.

Source: Coronavirus: Who gets tested first in Ohio? Dr. Acton explains new priorities

Note the major difference in Priority 3. People with symptoms who weren't in the Priority 1 & 2 groups were at least at the back of the line as of April 22nd. Now those same people don't even get to be in line. So much for expanded testing. :rolleyes:

They're almost finished with their restaurant protocols and they'll be announcing them this week along with the date that Ohio restaurants will be able to open their dining rooms. BMVs are supposed to open by late May. People will use the BMV Get In Line online program to reserve a time frame. They didn't say what people without Internet or smart phones are supposed to do.

In an absolute and total act of defiance, DH has just informed me that on this first day of Ohio opening up, he intends to stay at home. :LOL:

Last edited:
DH had his implant surgery today and was beyond impressed with the precautions taken. They make patients take COVID test prior, DH negative of course. Surgeon was in full major hazmat gear. Assistant wore one of the professional respirator masks (with surgical mask covering that mask), just like the one we bought when we had our house tented and DH went back and opened the windows for several days.

Bathroom was provided with opened door prior to DH leaving. Exit was other than the normal one so DH wouldn't have to mingle with anyone else. Meds were given so that he wouldn't have to go to pharmacy (antibiotics and pain pills).

For my next implant, I will definitely use his dr. rather than mine where several comedies of error took place during the entire process.

This past weekend DW and I attended our first graveside funeral service under the restrictions.

She (I will call her Tina here) was a great friend and classmate from college. I met here in an embarrassing but funny way that was an ongoing joke between us for the rest of her life. Tina was a bridesmaid in our wedding, and DW was a bridesmaid and I was a groomsman in her wedding. In December she told us she had been diagnosed with advanced cancer, and she died in early April.

The cemetery was less than an hour from us, and her daughter invited us to the graveside service, to arrive at a specific time - the cemetery was ensuring social distancing was followed. There was potential to be over 10 mourners, so the cemetery had us wait near outside the gates in our car until the allowed count was verified, then allowed us to drive to the grave site.

All present were in masks. Everyone kept distance and signed "hugs" and "love you" to each other. DW and I each put a flower on Tina's casket (we learned we are thinking the same thing - "place it down but do not touch the casket"). The funeral home kindly performed the brief ceremony twice, once for each group.

One humorous item, a couple of classmates we had not seen in years were there, but everyone was nervous about talking too much (you tend to drift closer to people when talking). It was a wet day, and not far from the grave was a bare patch of ground where we scratched our cell phone numbers to exchange them. Once every was safely in cars we called each other to catch up as we drove our separate ways home.

I know they’ve tested lots of groups and found a very high number of asymptomatic infected people. And it keeps happening.

More than 370 workers at a pork plant in Missouri tested positive for coronavirus. All were asymptomatic They tested at least 1500 workers, 17% were infected.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/04/us/triumph-foods-outbreak-missouri/index.html

I tell you, this is just mind blowing.

Last edited:
I know they’ve tested lots of groups and found a very high number of asymptomatic infected people. And it keeps happening.

More than 370 workers at a pork plant in Missouri tested positive for coronavirus. All were asymptomatic They tested at least 1500 workers, 17% were infected.
https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/04/us/triumph-foods-outbreak-missouri/index.html

I tell you, this is just mind blowing.

Wow, mind-blowing indeed.

I wonder if they tested their oxygen levels or done some CT scans... I know some of those asymptomatic folks on the Diamond Princess cruise ship already had signs of the virus although they had no symptoms at the time... Either way, some will definitely stay asymptomatic with no sign of the virus...

I wonder if they tested their oxygen levels or done some CT scans... I know some of those asymptomatic folks on the Diamond Princess cruise ship already had signs of the virus although they had no symptoms at the time... Either way, some will definitely stay asymptomatic with no sign of the virus...

Whoah! Hope they didn't do any CT scans on "un-sick" people. My doc said a typical CT scan is about equal to 200 chest X-rays in equivalent total-body radiation dose. YMMV

Whoah! Hope they didn't do any CT scans on "un-sick" people. My doc said a typical CT scan is about equal to 200 chest X-rays in equivalent total-body radiation dose. YMMV

In China, when pcr tests were not available they used CT scans of lings to diagnose Covid. For one thing it was a much faster diagnostic test. If you in the hospital with Covid symptoms then a radiation dose was the least of your problems.

I would think they would be using pcr tests, which are the test becoming more widely available. That is the test where they shove a swab in your nose. A pcr test would miss everyone who had been infected a month earlier but recovered. For those people you would need an antibody test but those aren’t reliable enough yet for individual diagnosis.

In China, when pcr tests were not available they used CT scans of lings to diagnose Covid. For one thing it was a much faster diagnostic test. If you in the hospital with Covid symptoms then a radiation dose was the least of your problems.

If you're in the hosp. you might indeed be willing to risk the radiation dose to find out how to proceed. tmm99's comment was on asymptomatic folks. I can think of few reasons to go as far as CT scans to elucidate such a case.

Well, Mr. Koolau, after 878 X-rays and 37 CT scans, we've found absolutely nothing wrong with you - except you have radiation poisoning!:blush:

If you're in the hosp. you might indeed be willing to risk the radiation dose to find out how to proceed. tmm99's comment was on asymptomatic folks. I can think of few reasons to go as far as CT scans to elucidate such a case.

Well, Mr. Koolau, after 878 X-rays and 37 CT scans, we've found absolutely nothing wrong with you - except you have radiation poisoning!:blush:
Read my post above where I agree with you

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom