What you consider *superior* products (II)

I was reminded of this a couple of days ago when clearing snow. The Ariens Deluxe 24" snow thrower. Starts first pull, the only time I ever used the electric starter was when I bought it just to make sure it worked. Using the pull starter is easier/faster than fooling around with the extension cord. The 24" width does not take up too much room in the garage (stored in rear shed off season). It has a sort of "differential" arrangement they call Autoturn that makes turning it at the end of a row easier than the straight axle one I used to have; that was an upper-body workout even 30 years ago.

The engine is plenty strong enough for the snow that we get here. While I'll admit that I found it hard to write the check for it, all that is forgotten when the wet heavy snow falls and I'm steering this thing with one hand.:D

One hint from the guys over at the Snowblower Forum: Buy it from a dealer, not one of the big box stores. The price will be the same or very close to it. The ones at the big box stores are assembled from the crates by someone who may or may not have ever even seen a snowblower up close before. The ones at the dealers are put together by folks who do that all the time and know how to do it right. Yes, once in a blue moon one doesn't but in spite of that but your odds are far better at the local dealer. For any adjustments the big box store will refer you to... guess who... the local dealer, who will then put you at the end of the line because you're not his customer.

BTW, "the line" is now a very long one because it's snowing and everybody and his brother is clamoring to get their snowblower fixed that now doesn't work because they didn't bother to drain the fuel from it last spring and that now is old and nasty and gelled and is clogging the carburetor jet....:facepalm:

Attachments

• Ariens deluxe-24..png
    Ariens deluxe-24..png
    279.5 KB · Views: 60
This isn't specific, but plastic-free ladders. I have a 4 foot aluminum ladder rated 250 lbs. that has a plastic top. The plastic is structural. There are rivets in the plastic that allow it to fold. I'd like to get a plastic container for the terrace and store the ladder in it but I'm afraid to have the plastic parts of the ladder go through freeze/thaw cycles.

Outdoor sheds are on my inferior products list. I'm afraid to store my hand truck in one because of the plastic locking mechanism and foam rubber wheels. Same with drywall (it won't be "dry" for long if left in a shed), joint compound, and other chemicals.

I recently ruined some tools that I kept near my terrace door for several months. I was worried about UV rays getting through the double pane glass and deteriorating the power cord of my drill. That didn't seem to happen, but stuff got rusty just from some air flow from the outside. Now the chuck key gets jammed in the chuck. I assume the same would happen if the tools were in a shed and maybe even a garage.

Big, ground level closets are good. Too bad basements have stairs.

Last edited:
For years I've been loyal to Ansell 37-175 gloves. They come 12 to a pack. I think size 10 is perfect for an average male hand and gives me a slightly loose fit for ventilation. I've experimented with lots of other gloves for decades, from Playtex to Du Barry to all kinds of big box store gloves and nothing comes close. I won't try anything else.

WeatherTech Mats for the car. I cart two large, hair-dispersing dogs around in the car most mornings to a hiking location. I always dreaded having a passenger in my car and would spend the better part of a morning scraping, vacuuming, wiping, etc. to get the dog hair out when I knew I would have a car guest.

Now, I vacuum the mats and am done in 10 minutes.

Game changer! I'll never be without them again...

Hoka Bondi shoes. I have foot arthritis and they were recommended by my podiatrist. They really help my foot pain and are by far the most comfortable shoe I have ever worn. The only issue is that they are sort of ugly.

Thank you for reinforcing my decision to get a Toyota RAV4. Honda's handling of this problem has scared me off of their products.

We recently narrowed down our search to a CRV. I contacted two different Honda techs who work at a dealership. Both have worked on CRV's with this issue.

Their call was that this issue has not been resolved. Honda does however honor their warranty.

Both had the same advice...buy Acura or Rav4 or Miata CX5. We tend to keep our vehicles for a long time. The CRV is off our list. Too bad. We have been very happy with our 2006 Accord.

We recently narrowed down our search to a CRV. I contacted two different Honda techs who work at a dealership. Both have worked on CRV's with this issue.

Their call was that this issue has not been resolved. Honda does however honor their warranty.

Both had the same advice...buy Acura or Rav4 or Miata CX5. We tend to keep our vehicles for a long time. The CRV is off our list. Too bad. We have been very happy with our 2006 Accord.

We purchased a 2019 RAV-4 and love it. Great gas mileage!

WeatherTech Mats for the car. I cart two large, hair-dispersing dogs around in the car most mornings to a hiking location. I always dreaded having a passenger in my car and would spend the better part of a morning scraping, vacuuming, wiping, etc. to get the dog hair out when I knew I would have a car guest.

Now, I vacuum the mats and am done in 10 minutes.

Game changer! I'll never be without them again...

+1. I’ve had them in my last 2 F-150’s. Indestructible.

For 25+ years we, like probably many others, have struggled with those built-in kitchen soap dispensers. They look sleek and get the messy little soap bottle away from the sink - but the big price to pay is the awkwardness of the refill. You either have to try to pour it from the top, which at best is slow, but most of the time results in messy spills, or do major gymnastics to unscrew the little bottle underneath and behind the sink bowl. We also tried funnels, but they don't work well either because the soap has too much viscosity and the opening is too small.

Finally we found a solution - it's just a flexible extension tube that feeds into the bulk soap bottle, which is now resting on the floor of the cabinet underneath. There are many different version on Amazon and likely elsewhere, and the reviews are very positive. Such a simple and useful idea!

Attachments

• Kitchen Soap Dispenser Fix.jpg
    Kitchen Soap Dispenser Fix.jpg
    47.8 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
Stanley steel thermos 1qt. Had it since 1976 still keeps coffee hot all day long. treated it terribly it's been to desert storm in 90-90 and Iraq in 07 -08. been on many many duck hunts over the years . Dented up pretty good but does what it supposed to do. I would get a new one but the old thing never seems to wear out.

My new Stressless chair. Horribly expensive but I'm so glad I blew the dough to get it.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 1.21.07 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2021-04-06 at 1.21.07 PM.png
    503.3 KB · Views: 50
My R&B Wire 300G Deluxe Elevated Wire Frame Metal Laundry Cart, which is sturdy, extremely stable, very maneuverable, and excellent in every way. See photo below.[...]
(click on the above linked post to see a long description and photo)

This cart is still in "like new" condition after six years of hard daily use. Honestly I can't even imagine living without it. I know that sounds stupid, but it is a tremendous help to me constantly.

In fact, recently I told F that if we ever had to move, I'd just put this cart and a suitcase in the back of my Venza, sell the rest in an estate sale, and buy anything else I needed at the new location.

Unfortunately it has become quite expensive in recent years. It's still worth the price.

This cart is still in "like new" condition after six years of hard daily use.

The laundry room in my building of over 150 tenants has had slightly larger versions of those for something like 20 years. They look identical except for size and ours don't have the bumper above the wheels or the shelf at the bottom. The wheels were the first to go on one or two of ours. It's a commercial quality cart.

Last edited:
Here's an idea for a laundry carrier that I have found really helpful. My laundry area is downstairs, and carrying a basked up and down the stairs is a problem. For starters I can't clearly see the stair as I am going up and down. As one who has a great fear of falling, that is a huge problem for me. Using this laundry carrier in backpack mode eliminates that problem. I got it at Costco for less than $20.

Attachments

• Laundry carria.jpeg
    Laundry carria.jpeg
    259.5 KB · Views: 57
Here's an idea for a laundry carrier that I have found really helpful. My laundry area is downstairs, and carrying a basked up and down the stairs is a problem. For starters I can't clearly see the stair as I am going up and down. As one who has a great fear of falling, that is a huge problem for me. Using this laundry carrier in backpack mode eliminates that problem. I got it at Costco for less than $20.

Great idea for fall prevention on stairs! I don't have stairs but if I did, I'd try something like this. Once filled I might throw it down the stairs before going down myself, but the backpack mode would be great for the trip back upstairs.

Honda Self Propel Push Mower

Starts on first pull every time and even my wife can start it with ease. Twin cutting blades to mulch or bag. I like my first one so well that I sold it after 8 years for 30% of new price and bought a brand new mower. Grocery store has gift cards for Home Depot that gave us 4 times the fuel points, and save another $56 on fill ups.

I was reminded of this a couple of days ago when clearing snow. The Ariens Deluxe 24" snow thrower. Starts first pull, the only time I ever used the electric starter was when I bought it just to make sure it worked. Using the pull starter is easier/faster than fooling around with the extension cord. The 24" width does not take up too much room in the garage (stored in rear shed off season). It has a sort of "differential" arrangement they call Autoturn that makes turning it at the end of a row easier than the straight axle one I used to have; that was an upper-body workout even 30 years ago.

The engine is plenty strong enough for the snow that we get here. While I'll admit that I found it hard to write the check for it, all that is forgotten when the wet heavy snow falls and I'm steering this thing with one hand.:D

One hint from the guys over at the Snowblower Forum: Buy it from a dealer, not one of the big box stores. The price will be the same or very close to it. The ones at the big box stores are assembled from the crates by someone who may or may not have ever even seen a snowblower up close before. The ones at the dealers are put together by folks who do that all the time and know how to do it right. Yes, once in a blue moon one doesn't but in spite of that but your odds are far better at the local dealer. For any adjustments the big box store will refer you to... guess who... the local dealer, who will then put you at the end of the line because you're not his customer.

BTW, "the line" is now a very long one because it's snowing and everybody and his brother is clamoring to get their snowblower fixed that now doesn't work because they didn't bother to drain the fuel from it last spring and that now is old and nasty and gelled and is clogging the carburetor jet....:facepalm:

Hey Walt, I have the exact same snowblower. It's an absolute beast. Cuts through the frozen mountain left by the plow at the end of the driveway like it's not even there. And the heated hand grips are amazing.

Starts on first pull every time and even my wife can start it with ease. Twin cutting blades to mulch or bag. I like my first one so well that I sold it after 8 years for 30% of new price and bought a brand new mower. Grocery store has gift cards for Home Depot that gave us 4 times the fuel points, and save another $56 on fill ups.

I'm impressed with my Toro Recycler 22 in mower. Bags or throws or mulches.

It's 10 yrs old, starts easy on the first pull (maybe second sometimes).

I just replaced the air filter after 10 yrs :facepalm: for $2 , and the blade as it was all worn, chipped for ~ $20.

Anyone have a recommendation for a down or down alternative pillow with a high "sink in" factor? thanks

Looking at upgrading our vacuum. Are Dyson products really worth the premium price?

Looking at upgrading our vacuum. Are Dyson products really worth the premium price?

I have a Dyson, and I wish I would have bought it years earlier. It picks up the dirt so well, is super easy to push around and is light, automatically converts from rug to hard floor use, and charges easily. Also empties easily.

Of course, I never had a rechargable vacuum that does all surfaces, so it's hard to compare I guess!

Simplegirl Thank you for your experience. Dyson is having Black Friday sale so I am contemplating…

Kubota tractors... I've had two in the past 15 years and NEVER had to take one to the shop... Cut the fields, haul rock and sand, maintain my private road, dig out stumps, maintain fence wires and post, and countless other jobs around the property.... I change the oil once a year and swap batteries every three or four years and they just keep on going...

I have a Dyson, and I wish I would have bought it years earlier. It picks up the dirt so well, is super easy to push around and is light, automatically converts from rug to hard floor use, and charges easily. Also empties easily.

Of course, I never had a rechargable vacuum that does all surfaces, so it's hard to compare I guess!

+1

I can confirm everything you said in this post! I have a Dyson Absolute and I love the fact that it is SO light compared with my (previous) Hoover WindTunnel vacuum. It does a superb job of vacuuming and it is so easy to use.
Simplegirl Thank you for your experience. Dyson is having Black Friday sale so I am contemplating…
A sale? How terrific!

Back
Top Bottom