What you consider *superior* products (II)

From what I can see, seems like this real problem is occurring on 100-200 vehicles/yr in 2018-2019 out of a half million sold less 2.4L engine equipped vehicles. That's about 0.05%.

That Bogleheads thread refers to the 1.5 L L15B7 I4 (turbo) not the 2.4 L K24W I4.

Sounds like you're fortunate enough to have the latter engine in your CR-V.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...hina-after-recall-plan-rejected-idUSKCN1GE1P8

Maybe the software fix will work, but if not owners of the 1.5L turbo models better have the OEM extended warranty, at least on the powertrain.

Last edited:
It's a plastic scraper to scrape off hard, cooked-in/burned-on pieces of food on fry pans, baking/roasting pans, etc.

I actually ordered this by mistake. For some reason, when I was ordering a food processor, this was paired and I thought it was something to scrape off food particles left in the food processor container.

Anyway, It is such a simple thing and works so well, making cleaning stuck-on or burned food particles on baking/roasting sheets and pans so easy, so I kept it. It comes with two scrapers. And it's only $3 for the set.

https://www.amazon.com/Lodge-Scrapers-Handheld-Polycarbonate-Cleaners/dp/B0039UU9UO/ref=sr_1_fkmrnull_2?keywords=Lodge+SCRAPERPK+Set+of+2+Durable+Polycarbonate+Pan+Scrapers%2CRed+and+Black&qid=1552941009&s=gateway&sr=8-2-fkmrnull

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    139.1 KB · Views: 735
Last edited:
Darn-Tough Socks. Lifetime guarantee! Expensive, but I will never need to buy socks again.

I've had them two years so far, and they are still fine. All the other brands wore out in the heels after a year.

Three years now, and I've sent in two pairs for replacements. Each got a hole in one heel (you always send in a pair even if only one is damaged). Sending them in is quick and easy.

Looking at the others, some more are beginning to fail.

Note that I wear these socks without shoes around the house every day. Still recommended.

Some "lifetime guaranteed" products last a lifetime. For others, I'm guessing the manufacturer knows they won't last that long, but is willing, for marketing purposes, of taking the hit and replacing failures. Another example of this is Moen. Their faucet cartridges fail every two years or so, but the company cheerfully replaces them.

Three years now, and I've sent in two pairs for replacements. Each got a hole in one heel (you always send in a pair even if only one is damaged). Sending them in is quick and easy.

Looking at the others, some more are beginning to fail.

I have had most of my Thorlos Trekking socks since 2005, have worn them just about every day of the year (especially for the first decade), and none had holes until a year or two ago. So, I guess about a 12 year lifespan, 4-6 times the lifespan for your Darn-tough socks.

They are expensive, though! I love that I have never lost one in the wash during all these years, because they are so bulky that they are easy to find.

Some "lifetime guaranteed" products last a lifetime. For others, I'm guessing the manufacturer knows they won't last that long, but is willing, for marketing purposes, of taking the hit and replacing failures.

I think they are counting on the Washing Machine Vortex to swallow the socks as eagerly as it swallows other brands. One the socks have been sucked into an alternate reality, they no longer have to worry about replacing them. Smart guys!

Note: Since the 1960's the WMV has experienced an intra-dimensional phenomenon and now also includes dryers.

Last edited:
Milwaukee Electric tools.

I've purchased a couple of their kits of lithium-ion battery tools with the hammer drill, impact driver, impact wrench, work light, and a couple of the aluminum flashlights. While it has been quite a while since I bought many tools, I'm impressed with these. The aluminum flashlights look like you could drive a truck over them with no damage (no, I'm not going to try it). And the tools have so far exceeded my expectations.

Not cheap, but quality usually isn't.

I've always gotten leather wallets in the past, but I realized that something like this is much better:

81mjH6LhD6L._SL1500_.jpg

The fabric is tough, the wallet is thin, and it cost less that $12. It closes with velcro and has a coin compartment (which I don't use).

I connect my Tile to the zipper.

I have been really impressed with this Moen product and thought it might be of use for others in the same situation.

I had to put up a grab bar for DW in the upstairs bathroom. The walls of the shower however are slabs of thick marble which made it near impossible to accurately find studs. So, I drilled two holes using a diamond hole saw bit and used this Moen anchor system instead (it came with a Moen grab bar).

https://www.moen.ca/products/Moen_Home_Care/Moen_Home_Care_SecureMount_Anchor_1_Pair/SMA1000OWB

Man, is it ever really good. It claims it can hold up to 300 lbs and I don't doubt it. I have really reefed on it and it is solid as a rock and I'm not exactly a lightweight.

Might be good for someone in a similar situation with thick bathroom walls.

Attachments

• sma1000owb.tif.jpg
    sma1000owb.tif.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 47
The Zeiss Victory line of binoculars. Expensive, but worth it for birding.

SunPower solar panels. Top of the class in efficiency. American made. Pricey, but quality is not cheap.

There's already a 'Superior Products III' thread, maybe this one should be locked and the new posts moved over. To be honest not really sure what the benefit was to breaking off the same topic into new threads, just seems to add confusion.

I have one of these ordered.

You dump a box of rounds in the hopper all jumbled and not uniform - just dump the box. Then crank down and it loads the magazine.

ms gamboolgal and I really "need" one of these....
ju8WGfVl.png

Link to mfg demonstration video

Fiskars tree pruning stik

While I am not thrilled with the amount of plastic, this pruner works great. But their customer service is what I consider truly superior. I bought this pruner about 2 years ago. Somehow when I last used it, a small bolt of some sort fell off and I have not been able to find a suitable bolt to repair it. So I went online and asked the Fiskar folks if they could send me a replacement bolt. They responded to please submit a photo of the problem area. I did so and, three weeks later, I get a large box delivered, inside was a brand new pruner. How sweet is that!

Attachments

• fiskar trimmer.jpg
    fiskar trimmer.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 59
It's true. My son inherited my mother's 2017 Honda CRV with the 1.5 liter turbo and the oil smells like raw gas. At oil change time during the summer I pulled an oil sample and sent it to Blackstone Laboratory for an oil analysis and it showed 4% gasoline in the oil, way over the threshold. Honda denies the issue and won't do anything about it. Honda still uses this engine in the CRV, but have made some software modifications, one being to delay cabin heat in winter to allow faster engine warm ups. Not acceptable in my opinion.

It's true. My son inherited my mother's 2017 Honda CRV with the 1.5 liter turbo and the oil smells like raw gas. At oil change time during the summer I pulled an oil sample and sent it to Blackstone Laboratory for an oil analysis and it showed 4% gasoline in the oil, way over the threshold. Honda denies the issue and won't do anything about it. Honda still uses this engine in the CRV, but have made some software modifications, one being to delay cabin heat in winter to allow faster engine warm ups. Not acceptable in my opinion.

Thank you for reinforcing my decision to get a Toyota RAV4. Honda's handling of this problem has scared me off of their products.

Thank you for reinforcing my decision to get a Toyota RAV4. Honda's handling of this problem has scared me off of their products.
Chuckanut,
I had a Civic with the same 1.5L turbo engine. It didn't have this problem, and the car accelerated very well for such a small engine. I really liked this car.

I've read that most gas powered engines will have smaller turbo engines in new cars moving forward. Power and efficiency.

I personally believe they are sacrificing reliability somewhat by adding the turbo chargers to small engines. Hopefully they will perfect the technology.

FYI: My new truck has a non-turbo V6 engine. I've read the next generation will only offer a turbo 4 cylinder.

JP

Massimo cooler.

Some of the Chinese knock-offs are quite good now.
Another segment seeing this disruption is the portable inverter/generator market. I'm very impressed with the price/quality equation of my Pulsar G2319N.
However, when the time comes to replace the inferior ammonia absorption refrigerator in my RV, I will be looking at a compact upright using a genuine Danfoss/Secop variable speed compressor unit. When reliability is high priority, I go with the best quality. In the portable chest fridge category, that means (US) ARB, Engel and possibly Dometic , albeit at ~ 3x the price.

My mortar and pestle. I use it daily to bang on my chewable vitamin D tablet to break it into a few pieces. I don't want another cracked tooth. They're 1000 IU and I think vitamin tablets of that size are harder than any normal food to break with your teeth. That can't be good.

My mortar and pestle. I use it daily to bang on my chewable vitamin D tablet to break it into a few pieces. I don't want another cracked tooth. They're 1000 IU and I think vitamin tablets of that size are harder than any normal food to break with your teeth. That can't be good.

Why not soft gels? They go down so easy. Size of a pea.

Why not soft gels? They go down so easy. Size of a pea.

I hate swallowing any pills whole. Gummies and liquid are the only other options I like. I don't care about the taste. I used to chew aspirin.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom