What you guys doing on the 4th?

If there are any sailors out there, you'll know we had a great day from this pic (knots)...

I'll be at w*rk:'( Power plant operation is a 24/7/365 deal, and the schedule has yours truly on duty. Oh well, no bosses around, extra pay and things are quiet so far. Probably spend most of the day web surfing unless the thunderstorms form up in my area.:rolleyes:
Thank you!

Somebody has to keep the lights on. A BIL also works in a power plant, and I've worked my share of 4ths & other holidays (retired law enforcement).

I worked afternoons for the first 15 years on the job at a public utility, was scheduled for every other 4th of July, and traded with the other guy so he could be with his family and I could be at work EVERY 4th. The reason being, afternoons on holidays entailed about 30 minutes of actual 'work', and about 7.5 hours of goof-off time, each paying the same double-time & a half. Since my work site was along the river, and the fireworks were less than 1/4 mile up river from me, I had a GREAT view, and NO crowds of people. I'd put my lawn chair up on the roof of one of the buildings, and enjoy our fireworks, as well as the fireworks in neighboring communities......and got paid handsomely for it!!! By the time I got off work, all of the crowds and traffic had dispersed, the local coffee shop had pretty much cleared out, and I could enjoy a nice quiet evening snack of pie & coffee. :D

It was a tough job.......but somebody had to do it! :2funny:

If there are any sailors out there, you'll know we had a great day from this pic (knots)...
Yeah, and I bet that was when you were headed back to port...

The reason being, afternoons on holidays entailed about 30 minutes of actual 'work', and about 7.5 hours of goof-off time, each paying the same double-time & a half.
Weekends & holidays were my best-kept duty secrets-- don't forget the part about management being mostly absent and not pestering you while you were trying to get your own work done!

Weekends & holidays were my best-kept duty secrets-- don't forget the part about management being mostly absent and not pestering you while you were trying to get your own work done!

Yep, and none of my fellow coworkers could ever figure out why I liked working 2nd shift, or why I volunteered to trade with them to get their holidays! Shift premiums, overtime pay, plus best of all....NO BOSSES! Oh yeah.....and since we were located along the river......LOTS of fishing and getting paid for it!

Not only did members of management not work on weekends, holidays, and 2nd shifts.....they couldn't even be located if we actually did need them for something. We had to make the spur of the moment emergency decisions on everything, and then wait for the fallout on our next regular work day.......but none of the boss's threats ever had much bearing, since we'd let him drag us into his boss's office, and then we'd turn the tables on him by informing his boss that he had refused to answer our calls, so we made the best decision we could. His boss would thank us for our efforts at trying our best to solve the problem and tell us we were free to return to our work site, and then he'd rip the boss a new one! I really liked his boss! :D

The last time he played that game, he struck out. His boss gave him the ultimatum to resign or be fired.....he turned in his resignation. :D Our next supervisor didn't come around at all after normal hours, but made himself available 24/7 IF we needed him....plus he was an all around great guy.

is that bottom tracking or 7 knots against a 3-knot current?
Disp hull speed is 7.2 knots.

On freshwater so not much current to speak of, but sailing downwind so SOG was more than 10.2 knots...wheeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Are you saying on occasion one of your pick up attempts results in a warrant? :police:

No, he's saying that generally the women he picks up DON'T HAVE WARRANTS outstanding on them, but SOMETIMES they do.........;)

what not to do

Some local guy (drunk) managed to set off a firecracker INSIDE his SUV. He's expected to live, minus a few parts.

Very nice. I bet that was fun. What are the temps like on Lake Mich this time of the year?

Lake Michigan? 60's and 70's for air temp

Water temp? Low to mid 50's!! :eek::eek:

Water temp? Low to mid 50's!! :eek::eek:
Water temp was 64F on Sat. Low to mid 50's would be down deeper, although not a lot deeper it's a steep gradient...

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom