When was last time your Doc surprised you - in a good way?

Koolau

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
DW and I both have a minor heart issue - it's virtually the same issue. So I've been seeing a cardiologist for a couple of years (maybe once a year.) DW just started seeing the same guy a month ago. He seems knowledgeable and down to earth - even funny - which I appreciate. He spends time with us, no rushing, etc. So, guess you could say we both liked him right away.

He was set to take a month vacation and then we will do our annual trek to the vast (thawed) tundra of the midwest. So we won't see him until at least fall. The day before he left, we both went in for echocardiograms on his order. I assumed if there were any major issue, the tech would tell us. She did - no problem (at least nothing new.)

So, here's the big surprise. We got a phone call from the Doc a few days later. He was half way around the world - on vacation! He used a Skype hook up to reach us by phone - to assure us that we were both fine and didn't need to be concerned about our echo results. I almost dropped the phone. I can't even get my internist to return a phone call when he is "in". Naturally, YMMV.

As covered in an earlier thread, my doc has gone to "Direct Primary Care" which means that he doesn't take insurance but I pay him $90 a month and he is available by phone, email and Skype.

He will personally take my call if I have a question (it is just him and a nurse/assistant)--no relaying information through three admins-- and will see me on the same day as I call for an appointment.

He can spend upwards of 45 minutes with me on an office visit if the need dictates because he's cut his patient list from 2500 to 600 so he now has the time to provide better car.

As covered in an earlier thread, my doc has gone to "Direct Primary Care" which means that he doesn't take insurance but I pay him $90 a month and he is available by phone, email and Skype.

He will personally take my call if I have a question (it is just him and a nurse/assistant)--no relaying information through three admins-- and will see me on the same day as I call for an appointment.

He can spend upwards of 45 minutes with me on an office visit if the need dictates because he's cut his patient list from 2500 to 600 so he now has the time to provide better car.

I like the idea of being able to provide a better car. I think I need to cut my patient load too. Oh wait, I already did that!

What a coincidence! I just got back from a doctor's office with good news (well, mixed in with the bad).

I have a torn meniscus in my knee, which is the bad news. Fortunately, it's repairable so not that bad.

The good news was ...
He kept looking back and forth between me and the x-ray of my knees, then said "You're 68 years old?"
"Yes."
"Wow! Look at that (pointing to my x-ray). You have ZERO arthritis. You have no idea how lucky you are."

Actually, I know well how lucky I am, because DW reminds me often enough. :D
But it was good to hear anyway!

I see a primary care doctor, who this year switched to a concierge practice. So far, I've been very happy. The last time I went in, she offered me a genetic based test that could tell me which medicines might not be effective, what diseases I might be prone to. It was free as part of the concierge service. I didn't really take it that seriously, but figured it was free.

When she went over the report last week, it turns out that one of the tests was looking for the gene combinations that make you a higher or lower risk for the genetically passed on Alzheimer's. My mom had it, so I worry about getting it. It turned out I have a low risk genetically. I was so happy to hear that. Of course there is no guarantee, and it still helps to lead a healthy lifestyle, but I do have a little more peace of mind.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum

I had a 2 appointment procedure to remove a small cyst. The cyst was removed and the skin stitched up on the first visit. The stitches were removed at the second visit - a week later.

The surprise was when the Dr. told me to NOT pay an office visit fee for the second visit. Thanks Doc.

I had a 2 appointment procedure to remove a small cyst. The cyst was removed and the skin stitched up on the first visit. The stitches were removed at the second visit - a week later.

The surprise was when the Dr. told me to NOT pay an office visit fee for the second visit. Thanks Doc.

Actually- this is the way it is supposed to happen. I've never had a doc charge me for routine stitch removal IF he/she was the one doing the original procedure. Most (US) insurance co's view typical aftercare as included in the basic fee for elective surgical procedures. Only supposed to be another charge if there's a complication (infection, etc.) or something unrelated is done. Not too long ago I had emergency hand surgery after a bike accident. All aftercare was included in the original ($$$) fee, but I was told to come back to THEIR facility for this to be true.

Now if you decide to go to a different doc/clinic for stitch removal, they will (understandably) expect $$ for that visit.

Last month, the doctor told me, "You're in pretty good shape for a 56 year old."

My surprise was two months ago the doctor took me off of beta blockers entirely, 10 years after my heart attack. Now I have more energy every day!

After my heart attack, I was on the a standard package of 8 meds. Now I'm down to just 40 mg Simvastatin.

Last month, the doctor told me, "You're in pretty good shape for a 56 year old."

Well, I guess that is good news unless you are 40.... :LOL:

Edit....
MAN.... did not see Taxman beat me to it... :(

My surprise was two months ago the doctor took me off of beta blockers entirely, 10 years after my heart attack. Now I have more energy every day!

After my heart attack, I was on the a standard package of 8 meds. Now I'm down to just 40 mg Simvastatin.

So being off the meds gives you more energy? is that the case?

I love hearing about excellent care by medical providers. I have several friends in the doctoring biz and they are caring but overworked folks; they often extend themselves to improve a patients life in some way. It's nice that your doc made the effort as well.

Many years ago my DH's doc called on Christmas eve after 8 PM to tell him that a new therapy option had become available for long existing condition that had been resistant to treatment. His message was pretty simple... "I just read about this today... meet me in my office on Dec 26th and we will discuss how to get you this new therapy option". It was truly a gift as my DH had been on a transplant list after exhausting available treatment options. The newly approved therapy restored his hope and eventually his health and I am still grateful that he took the time to call at the first opportunity.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom