Where do you shop for groceries?

We try to be smart shoppers and pick up item when we see a particularly good deal. All reasonably close to home, in order of preference:

Trader Joe's
Safeway
Grocery Outlet
Natural Grocer
Fred Meyer
Costco

We get the basics at Kroger’s. We also have two Produce Markets close that we love but they carry a premium cost. Still, they have great produce. One has a fantastic meat counter (I do not buy meat at Kroger’s). They both have a number of cool speciality items like bakery items, a great cheese selection, great olive oil . . .

Then we also shop Costco. We get our nuts and our frozen fruit there. Also get some of the things we buy in bulk like granola bars, beans, corn . . .

Mostly Aldi's, Krogers maybe once a month, Costco every couple of months

We alternate among Kroger and Trader Joes, both 4-5 miles away, and Lidl, about 3 miles away. Lidl is the one we go to most often.

We visit Costco about once a month, but that is more for household items than food.

Harris Teeter, Costco and Target mostly - specific things at each.
Trader Joe’s for some other specific things.
Whole Foods, Lowe’s Foods or Publix as needed.
We have a wealth of grocery options close by.

We usually get a take-out lunch from a local restaurant, and that's enough for both lunch and dinner, usually.

I get non-perishables from Amazon, and Frank picks up whatever else I need from Rouse's (a local supermarket chain, somewhat like Kroger's). Usually that's not much.

Within a mile of my house, I have Trader Joe's, Whole Foods, three ethnic food markets, Rouse's, and Breaux Mart. The last two are local supermarket chains. We also have a drive-through pickup location for Super Walmart, also less than a mile away. Costco is 3 miles away but I prefer other stores.

Publix - beef, produce, weekly specials
Wal Mart - dairy, eggs, other staples
Sam's Club - Anything they carry that we eat. It's 45 minutes away in the off-season, so those trips are infrequent, and we stock up.

Unfortunately, Costco and Trader Joe's are more than 2 hours away. When I get over that way, I stock up.

If I had to pick just one, it would be Publix for the food quality, cleanliness of the stores and the friendliness and efficiency of the employees.

We try to support local farms for dairy, bakery, produce in season and meats.
Ely Farm, Newtown, PA
Tabora Farm, Chalfont, PA
Tanner Bros., Ivyland, PA
We also go to Costco in Warminster, PA for bulk items.

Within a 20 minute drive from us we have a choice of:
- 3 Walmarts (2 of which are Walmart Supercenters with large grocery sections)
- 1 Target
- 1 Costco
- 1 Sam's Club
- 15 grocery stores (brands such as Weis, Food Lion, Aldi, Safeway. Giant, Giant Eagle, Wegmans)
- 4 "Ethnic" grocery stores
- 3 local organic markets
- 2 local seafood shops
- 1 local butcher shop
- Too many bakery/dessert/specialty food shops to keep track of.

If we are willing to out to 30 minutes, that adds another Walmart SuperCenter, Costco, Sam's Club, at at least 5 more grocery stores.

Odds of all them being out of any common thing at the same time are very, very low :). We do watch for sales. In addition, several of the super markets have a day of the week where they give seniors over 60 an across the board 5% discount.

If I need a lot of stuff or I'm hungry, Winco is my go to store but if it's just a few items that I can get at Aldi I'll go there instead.
Winco makes great Pizza and their Rotisserie Chicken is delicious so I usually leave with one or the other. Can't beat $11 for a large BBQ Smokehouse Pizza or a little over $5 for the chicken.

We shop for food at Kroger & Aldi which is about 10 miles away. There is an Amish market where we get lunch meat, cheeses and bulk items. It is about 15 miles away. The wife goes to a Costco every once in a while. It is a 55 mile drive.
We are raising a fairly large garden, which will mostly keep us in veggies throughout the year. We picked some strawberries last week, about 10 miles away. One neighbor, about 5 miles out, sells eggs. We by 1/2 of a beef once a year from my cousin, about 3 miles away.
If things get really bad, there are plenty of deer and squirrels in the area.

Within 3 miles of my house are:

Wal-mart-best value
Harris Teeter
Giant Foods
Aldi
Lidl
Costco
Target

I do most of my shopping at WMT and then Harris Teeter which is closest and I get gas points.

Costco for meat
Giant for sales
Aldi on occasion
Lidl just opened

Within 5 miles: Wegmans and Trader Joe

So when I shop it's easy to make multiple stops to get what I need.

It's food shopping paradise in our area.

I look at the flyers and will cherry pick from some of the stores.

We have many stores within 2 miles of our place, some are:

Aldi - Great choices best prices for canned stuff, avoid the fresh vegies and meat.
FreshMart - Fresh vegies and meat
Jewel - cherry pick things, and milk 2 gallons for $5
Mariano's - Rare to go here, as more pricey, but nice to see the bag boys BMW's in parking lot.
Walmart - great order and pick up choice, price on chicken was normally the best.

Our Costco's are about 10 miles away, so hit those 1 time per month normally.

I shop at two stores.

In one direction, I walk ~7 minutes to a Metro Market (Fancy version of Krogers).

20' in the other direction, I walk PAST a Piggly Wiggly, PAST a Walmart, and PAST an Aldi's to get to a local co-op called Outpost (which focuses on local, organic, and bulk goods).

Left Milwaukee many years ago but Kung pao tofu was one of my favorite ready made foods at Outpost. DW makes a version now that is very good. We shopped at an old house which we think was their first store.

Within about 10 minutes.

2 Homeland
Walmart supercenter
Aldi
Save a Lot
Firelake Grocery an indian store. Charge tax but dont pay tax
Anthony Foods a Hometown grocery

Walmart or Costco, both one mile away.

Yep. Our Costco is walking distance (less than a mile) heh, heh, not that we actually walk! I would do all my shopping there if they just had all the things we need. We fill in with Safeway as it's even closer.

DH wants to eat mostly organic now from Whole Foods. I'm okay with the organic part, but I'm trying to find cheaper places places than all WF, so I don't have a set routine yet. So far it is looking like Walmart, Target or Amazon online for staples and have them shipped. Grocery Outlet or Costco in person once a week, then WF pickup for what I can't find at the other stores and their 365 house brand products, which are usually priced pretty competitively and BPA free on the canned goods.

Whole Foods. Good quality/selection and the prices are better now that Amazon has taken over. I use my Amazon Prime CC which gives me a 5% discount.

Costco, even though I try to avoid it since I spend way too much when I go. I do buy some staple items there.

Trader Joe’s. Mostly for nuts and wine/beer.

We have Giant, Lidl and Aldi in the same are 1 1/2 miles from us. Costco and Wegman’s are about five miles away. We never go to Aldi and do most is our shopping at Giant. We like the gasoline discounts we get from shopping there, especially these days.

Kroger corp home is here, so we use Kroger mostly as theyare numerous. Then Aldi, Meijer or Walmart. Costco is used for what they have. All within 10 miles. We live in the country so nothing is walking distance.

At FL snowbird location it's Publix, Aldi and Walmart. Occasionally Winn Dixie, but both DW and me think it's more expensive than the other choices. In FL we have Sam's and Costco within 20 miles.

Target SuperStore, as it is one of the closest (about a mile). Makes for the fastest grocery day for essentials. I usually skip Tom Thumb (Randall’s or Simon David in some parts of the country) is near them, but it’s a smaller version of their store and does not always have what I need, although they have good bakery items.

If I have the time for a more relaxed shopping experience, I do like Aldi (but about 20 minutes away), Central Market, Trader Joe’s, Sprouts, or the Saturday morning farmers’ markets.

But one of the farmers’ markets is getting to be a craft home goods market (jams, jelly, baked goods, jerky, cheese) and if I want tomatoes and cucumbers and squash I have to go to the other one!

Fred Meyer/Kroger, Safeway, local Walmart neighborhood grocery (not a big superstore), Costco.
May-October: local Saturday market for fresh veg/fruits, occ fresh butchered meats
Very rarely Trader Joes
even more rare: Winco (last time I went in our local one, it was filthy. Not going back)

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom