Where have all the Perpetual Travellers gone?

Just want to say thanks for all those who took the time to update on the life as travellers.

I do have a couple of questions for you all.

1. Do any of you blog where I can follow your adventures?

2. Financially has your travelling cost more or less than you had budgeted?

3. Can you see yourself doing this for years to come or do you expect at some time in the future settling down to suburban life?
I blogged for the first 8 months or so but I just got too busy and I am not a big picture taker. I tell friends and family that if they want to know details, then come visit me! And several have done just that. In fact, my mom came to Thailand to visit me for a month and says next time she wants to come for 2 months!

My travel has cost about 25% less than I originally anticipated, if I remember my pre-travel budgets correctly. I basically eat all my meals out, go out for entertainment a lot, and so I could easily cut back (although I drink very little, a lot of expats spend a lot on liquor!). I track my spending by adding up my ATM withdrawals and fixed expenses. I average my flights and transport costs over the length of my trip. I actually spend less in the USA than in my travels since I am mostly resting there and helping family and not going out to eat so much. Basically, when I am in the USA my life is not as interesting, there are less activities, my standard of living is lower, and things are a lot less convenient (things are spread out, transport is harder).

As for the future, I am not sure at this point. It has been way better than I could have dreamed, up to this point. I am concerned that a lot of my activities are centered around being single and also being younger (I am 43). I had a girlfriend in Thailand and one now in Colombia. I am not sure how a real long term relationship could work. In fact, I just had a talk with my GF about this this weekend, who has known everything about me, within reason, from the beginning. And I am not sure how my social life would be in Colombia if I hadn't met my girlfriend, for instance (and what would it be like for a 58 year old single guy, for instance?). It is easier in Thailand, since I am friends with so many other expats there.

Surprisingly, I don't miss home in the USA. I don't miss any particular things about the USA when I am traveling except for the people that I know and maybe the great Mexican food.

Kramer

Surprisingly, I don't miss home in the USA. I don't miss any particular things about the USA when I am traveling except for the people that I know and maybe the great Mexican food.

Kramer

This is so true for us. We are long term expats, I remember the first years as soon as I touched down in Sydney I would head straight to the snack machine for a packet of twisties and every lunch time during my stay I would consume a meat pie. Years later, I barely give these things a thought even when I am there.

The other thing we have noticed is we have become more disconnected from our fellow Aussies. Even though we share a sense of humour and will always be Australian no matter where we live, just the day to day life does not interest us.

I think it is important to pick a "home base" in a country that is centrally located in the continent you are interested in exploring. I prefer to live in the "Capitol city" as I lived in NYC most my life and become easily bored in the "sticks".

Large cities usually have the best /low cost "air service" to your own as well as surrounding countries. Road travel can be quite dangerous (especially buses)and although I have a car, I limit trips to less than 5 hours away.

Large cities will generally offer the best medical care in the event of an emergency.

International "health insurance" is major consideration as "air lifts" can easily exceed 50k. Most of us find it is cheaper to purchase that overseas as well.

Maintaining a "home base" overseas is cost effective either on a solo or shared basis. Some guys will rent an apartment and "sublet" to friends when not in town.

I think for most, Once you are awakened to the possibilities and opportunities, your life is forever changed and it is difficult to return to "normal life".

My friends "twitter" and are asking me to join "facebook" but I have no interest (other than being friends).

Although I must travel back stateside once or twice a year, I can't say I miss much and get that itch to leave again after a few days.

We cruised on a sailboat for 18 months, then traveled full time for 4 years. We found that our expense estimates were fine, even for such a wildly different lifestyle as cruising. I suspect that anybody prudent enough to FIRE can project travel expenses accurately enough to not get into trouble.

There are aspects of travel that make controlling expenses easier. If your spending starts to get out of hand, you can just go to someplace cheaper. Lack of knowledge is the big problem with travel. The internet helps a lot, but you still end up occasionally over-paying just because you don't know any better. When we arrived in a big, expensive city we would often stay at a "nice" place for a night or two, then move to cheaper digs (that still met our safety and cleanliness standards) after we scoped out the area.

You can take this to hilarious extremes. We once followed a two week stay in Cusco where we paid $75/week for an apartment with a 27 day cruise on the Prinsendam where the suggested gratuity was $70/week each. They were both wonderful.

For us, the key to making full-time travel possible was selling our house. Every dollar not spent on insurance, taxes, and upkeep is a dollar available for travel. I can't recommend this for everybody though: selling your home and belongings is traumatic.

We have since settled down, but in the inner city and not the suburbs. We are renting a small apartment near downtown in a "cool" neighborhood that we could never afford to buy into. We will probably buy a condo eventually.

We worried a lot about embarking on such a radical adventure, but it all worked out... and we are not any smarter or more knowledgeable than anybody else.

For us, the key to making full-time travel possible was selling our house. Every dollar not spent on insurance, taxes, and upkeep is a dollar available for travel. I can't recommend this for everybody though: selling your home and belongings is traumatic.

We have since settled down, but in the inner city and not the suburbs. We are renting a small apartment near downtown in a "cool" neighborhood that we could never afford to buy into. We will probably buy a condo eventually.

We worried a lot about embarking on such a radical adventure, but it all worked out... and we are not any smarter or more knowledgeable than anybody else.

Interesting to hear about your adventures. However, I have to agree with you, that for PT to really work it seems that it has worked best for those who have been able to pare there belongings. This is something that DH and I have been discussing, as we have far too much "stuff", none of which really matters in the big picture of life. Problem with "stuff" is it ends up owning you and not the other way around.

Curious as to why you decided to settle down? How did you find it socially being away? Have you managed to slot back in with old friends or did your adventures change your radically?

Curious as to why you decided to settle down? How did you find it socially being away? Have you managed to slot back in with old friends or did your adventures change your radically?

A combination of the market downturn and health issues made settling down seem a good idea. And, surprise!, we have enjoyed being back. We never really lost touch with our friends. While traveling we sent almost daily emails with photos. (Most recently, from our iPhone. I wouldn't travel without it. My SO once paid our AmEx bill while in the middle of the Drake Passage.) During our travels we returned to Austin 4 or 5 times a year and stayed with friends, while being careful not to wear out our welcome.

Austin is completely different to us now that we are retired. We treat it like a resort (OK, it is really too hot now, but what place is perfect?) We have the time to shop when stores are not crowded and take advantage of everything the city has to offer. We can walk to almost everything, so we avoid Austin's awful traffic.

We seriously looked a place with better weather to settle in, but in the end, being close to our friends won out.

Hey, half the people were wearing nylon shirts and pants and Tilly hats, me included :) ..... A couple of times I went out in the early evening with a woman named Barbara Jean to listen to the owls and the nightjars.
My husband reminded me the other day that we both had met Barbara Jean several times.

Wow - so close - well we met the same person at least! :D

Audrey

Back
Top Bottom