Where is a good place to buy glasses?

frank

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
I was checking around locally for a pair of trifocal lenses and frames. the price I am getting is around 500. I am thinking that is a little pricey, but it has been a couple of years since I bought new ones. I was wondering if there is any place online where any of you have purchased or where you get your eye wear. thanks

frank

Here's one thread from earlier this year that mentions a number of options http://www.early-retirement.org/forums/f27/prescription-glasses-81139.html
A search will bring up other threads. The savings for online glasses are significant, and members have recommended Zenni, 39dollarglasses and eyebuydirect. I have used all three and it is usually pretty easy to find an online coupon for additional discounts to their already low price.

Agree on the online glasses. I've had mostly good luck. One pair of frames I bought didn't fit or look as good as I hoped. I've never purchased from Walmart or Costco but know of some who have been pleased. At least there you can try on before buying, although will cost more than online.

Also Costco. DH bought two pairs of bifocals in really nice frames there for >$500. Eye exams are inexpensive and good--a neurologist told me he takes his mother there for her eye exams and glasses.

Just bought single vision for $6 greateyeglasses.com

Been buying there for 5-6 years.

Costco for me too. Got last 4 pairs there, also very satisfied with everything including price.

I was pretty happy with 39dollarglasses dot com, although I never got my trifocals from them (just additional driving glasses/sunglasses). They add a lot to the price if you want trifocals, and if I recall correctly, you have to call and discuss what you want with them. Anyway I never did that.

Then last year I had cataract surgery, and the only glasses I have needed since then are super-cheap readers. I get them from Amazon because I get lower prices there than I do at places like Walgreen's or 39dollarglasses.

Last edited:
Zenni since 2011 - latest pair was $84, with progressive vision auto darkening transition lenses. You do need a good pupilary distance measurement, ideally from center to both left and right eye. Also need to be fearless about tweaking the nose pieces to fit.

Got motivated into ordering a tinted pair of glasses through Zenni this morning. High index single vision with tint cost $46. The high index added $20 but I can't stand the coke bottle thickness of standard lens so got the thinner ones. I know I will like the frames as they are the same ones I wear inside(bi-focals). I've had these for 2 years and they have held up very well.

Something to consider for those who wear glasses:

I do very little on my iPad beyond reading newspapers and magazines. Most of my actual activity is on my laptop which mainly stays in one room. So I got a pair of computer glasses that I keep next to the laptop.

They are simply reading glasses optimized for the distance between eyes and screen, which in my case is more than arm's length (I use an external monitor instead of the laptop's own screen). It's so nice to have the perfect correction/magnification while using the computer that I probably spend far more time at it than I should.

When I get up from the keyboard, I just lay the computer glasses down again and get on with life. A cheap but very useful gadget.

Lens quality will make a big difference in cost and after having multiple pairs of progressive glasses, there is a difference in lenses. Shop carefully, not just based on price.

Something to consider for those who wear glasses:

I do very little on my iPad beyond reading newspapers and magazines. Most of my actual activity is on my laptop which mainly stays in one room. So I got a pair of computer glasses that I keep next to the laptop.

They are simply reading glasses optimized for the distance between eyes and screen, which in my case is more than arm's length (I use an external monitor instead of the laptop's own screen). It's so nice to have the perfect correction/magnification while using the computer that I probably spend far more time at it than I should.

When I get up from the keyboard, I just lay the computer glasses down again and get on with life. A cheap but very useful gadget.

I do exactly the same thing. :cool:

Back
Top Bottom