Where to put 100K

brewer12345 said:
Explin the "logic" behind that statement.  Is it some sort of immutable natural law?

:D :D :D :D

brewer, you crack me up.................. :LOL:

Fundamentally the longer the term the higher the yield you should receive for your risk.

IHateCNBC said:
Fundamentally the longer the term the higher the yield you should receive for your risk.

Do you think your people will nominate Hillary for 2008?

IHateCNBC said:
Checkmated, huh? :LOL:

Its more of a throwing up of hands. If that is about as far as your thoughts on the fundamentals go, I suggest you stick with Cramer and the charts.

brewer12345 said:
I suggest you stick with Cramer and the charts.

That is an oxymoron. Cramer trades on fundamentals and believes charts are for fools.

Lemme interrupt this thread with an on-topic comment...

cube_rat said:
Sorry if this question is too broad.  I'll be receiving 100k in about a month and I'd like to put it in a place that's relatively safe, that's not a MM account.   I have money already in a Vanguard Wellsely account and so far I'm very happy.  I'm thinking STAR or Wellington are good funds too.  Any other good recommendations on Vanguard funds which have consistent growth with low to medium volatility?  
cube_rat said:
Time horizon = 5 years
Tax Status = married, adult children
Other investments = ~ 150K in 401K, ~70k in MM account, ~60k in Vanguard Wellsely account.  real estate holdings will be zero very soon.
Risk tolerance = Do not want to risk capital, so minimal tolerance. 
Generally that "minimal tolerance" phrase steers people to CDs & MMs.  Yet you're looking for a Vanguard growth fund which may or may not meet your volatility intentions.

What do you want for an asset allocation?  What about just adding to STAR or Wellesley?  If you didn't own them today, would you buy them?  Or are you trying to replace a real estate asset allocation with a REIT?

I'm not trying to steer anyone in a particular direction, but "Where to invest?" is as much an asset-allocation issue as it is a valuation question.

IHateCNBC said:
That is an oxymoron.  Cramer trades on fundamentals and believes charts are for fools. 

Cramer trades on whatever he pulls out of his ass.

IHateCNBC said:
It appears I stumbled on to this board in error.  I will bow out now.

Are you really that thin-skinned? Taking your ball and going home already?

Oh well.

TromboneAl said:
Now you're getting personal.

Heheheheh...

Not really intending to do that all along, honestly. Maybe the sleep deprivation is getting to me. :dead:

brewer12345 said:
Heheheheh...

Not really intending to do that all along, honestly. Maybe the sleep deprivation is getting to me. :dead:

Brewer, in this case I intend to lead by example. As soon as somebody admits to being a technician, I exit out of the conversation. I have no desire to argue about witchcraft.

saluki9 said:
Brewer, in this case I intend to lead by example.  As soon as somebody admits to being a technician, I exit out of the conversation.  I have no desire to argue about witchcraft.

Heh, I doubt the wiccans would be amused. Lumping them in with the technicians is guilt by association.

IHateCNBC said:
It appears I stumbled on to this board in error.  I will bow out now.

Well.............you have to be able to logically state your point, or they will eat you alive............. ;)

Our motto: Those of you who think you know it all annoy the hell out of us who really do... :duh:

FinanceDude said:
Well.............you have to be able to logically state your point, or they will eat you alive............. ;)

No, no, no. You don't have to explain anything. Just look at the red line on the chart; it explains everything! :crazy:

I don't claim to know much that's why I stay here. It also funny a hell reading this stuff.

brewer12345 said:
No, no, no.  You don't have to explain anything.  Just look at the red line on the chart; it explains everything!  :crazy:

Reminds me of a guy I used to work with that was a technician...........he got people to pay 1% a year to stay in cash.................must have been a heck of a salesman....... :)

Funny the "guru" never answered the question.   :D

Consumer spending down and bond yields are rising.  Stick that in your fundamental pipe and smoke it.   :D

Attachments

• Tnx.png
    Tnx.png
    13.4 KB · Views: 55
  • Tnx.png_thumb
    21.9 KB · Views: 0
IHateCNBC said:
Funny the "guru" never answered the question.   :D

Consumer spending down and bond yields are rising.  Stick that in your fundamental pipe and smoke it.   :D

I'm still waiting for something other than a pretty picture that supports your statement that long yiekds must always be above short yields. I know they say a picture is worth a thousand words, but not in this case.

If you are not at admiral status already, you could bump your Wellesley up to the limit for that then put the rest in STAR.

I'm still waiting for something other than a pretty picture that supports your statement that long yiekds must always be above short yields.
"other things being equal" we would expect long yields to exceed short yields, due to, if from nothing else, increased uncertainty/risk with time ... but there are, at the extreme, two ways to getting there from here ... only one of which involves increasing longer term yields.

Back
Top Bottom