Which American Accent Do You Have?

The result of the test for me was spot on.

Really pretty close to my geographic match. Born on Long Island grew up mostly in Maryland. While living/school in CA I always had comments from people that I sounded English. I think that the bronx and southern twang came out.

A mix of old school Brooklyn and LonGIland.

My DILs relatives from down South mentioned I sounded like George Kastanza's mother on Seinfeld. :facepalm:

Anyone gotta problem with that!

The test put me in the general area.

Last edited:
Mine came out Neutral (basically no discernible accent), which I think is accurate.

My accent was deemed to be “neutral”. Makes sense. I arrived in the US in my 20s and my accent was rendered “proper” via ESL classes.

Southern, but then, it could have been a one-word exam: “When you see an elevator button, do you press or mash it?”

Neutral. Moved around a lot as a kid. Originally not from this country at all.

Clickbait.

Many of us have lived in so many places that our accents are unclassifiable.

I am "Northerner." That's accurate. I grew up in Chicago(land) but have lived 35 years in MN and am still told by the locals I have a Chicago accent.
I have condescended to saying Aunt as "ahnt," not "ant," in the MN way.

Northern which reflects the area I spent most of my life.

Not even remotely close.... Northeastern? me....:LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL::LOL:

It did say American Accent... Maybe Texan doesn't count.

I did not finish the test as I want to rewrite the entire thing. I dislike trinary choices when I can think of more answers.

I have a neutral accent, but I love saying "pahk the cah" which I learned while living in the Boston area.
I say "cawfee" when I am feeling NYCish.
"Hawk" is interesting as for the bird I say hawk, but for a Singapore hawker center I say "hocka center".

It would be interesting to know what the key distinctions are. I bounced back and forth into it (slow day) and changing one answer moves me from 'Western' to 'Northeast New England'. I am central Canada so we are pretty neutral in terms of accent generally.

Clickbait.

Many of us have lived in so many places that our accents are unclassifiable.

Well i have too, Born in Boston, then to Maryland, then to Pennsylvania, then back to Mass. Leave at 18 to join navy, had many spots on the way. Been in Southern Maryland since Jan 1980. my results
Which American accent do you have?
Northeast New England

Now maybe it is because i am snowbirding down with dad in Fla... Where i always go back to paking the caar in harvad yard when around him ;-)

Western. I lived in Wisconsin my first five years but apparently that didn't have a strong influence. I grew up in California, and a different test I took long ago was able to spot that. I remember "ornch" juice was a big give away.

Having lived in the South my whole life you would think Southern but I got neutral.

You guys ever watch NCIS New Orleans? I rarely do but the guy that plays Christopher(Lucas Black) plays the character with a strong southern accent. I'm sure my accent and my friend's accent leans a little more southern than neutral but it's nowhere near as pronounced as he portrays in the show. Ha.

Well, I lived in the UK for three years. According to English people, I had an "American accent," but not very much of one.

According to Americans who've cared enough to discuss it, I don't have a regional accent at all.

Not sure what it all means ;^>

Oh - the test was spot on - I grew up in northern NJ although I spent my entire adult life (to date) in Maryland (where I seem to have learned to call my current state Floor-ida, instead of Flah-rida as I learned growing up).

I am a native of FL but this says that I have no accent and could be from midwest. Give it a whirl.

Quiz - Which American accent do you have? - YouThink.com

Last edited:
It would be interesting to know what the key distinctions are. I bounced back and forth into it (slow day) and changing one answer moves me from 'Western' to 'Northeast New England'. I am central Canada so we are pretty neutral in terms of accent generally.
You think so, eh?

I got Northern or Western New England. Accurate I'm 150 miles to Buffalo and 150 miles to Massachusetts.

Back
Top Bottom