Which American Accent Do You Have?

I was neutral. Grew up in Ontario, Canada and spent time in upstate NY, Maryland, Michigan and Arizona

Not all Easterners. You are referring to a "non-rhotic" accent, where the r's are forgone. Many Eastern accents are non-rhotic, but not all. Boston and NYC/North Jersey lose their r's in one fashion, and southern accents lose their r's in a different fashion. But the accent of lots of New England and the Philly-to-Baltimore corridor is rhotic, i.e., we keep our r's.

Just for the record, Bostonian's don't lose their "R's". We just use them where they don't belong:

Linder: Linda

:D:D

I went to register to vote after moving to New Hampshire. The lady asked me where was I born? Park Rapids, Minnesota I say. She just looked at me. Again, slowly this time,I said PARK RAPIDS. She shook her head no. So I start spelling, P-A-R-K,when she says “Oh, pahk” and continues filling in the form. True Story.

I went to register to vote after moving to New Hampshire. The lady asked me where was I born? Park Rapids, Minnesota I say. She just looked at me. Again, slowly this time,I said PARK RAPIDS. She shook her head no. So I start spelling, P-A-R-K,when she says “Oh, pahk” and continues filling in the form. True Story.

A Midwest friend was telling me about ordering a Schlitz beer in the East. "Dock?" They asked.

Back
Top Bottom