Who here takes aspirin daily?

LXEX55

Recycles dryer sheets
About the ten years ago the doctor who did my colonostomy advised my wife and I to take a baby asprin daily. He said not just for heart health but that "off the record" he believes it can prevent colon cancer. He advised us to take it on a full stomach. Have been doing it ever since. I told my internist and he just shrugged and said "as you wish". My wife's cardiologist recommended it for her also.

I've heard there were other studies that've come out since, suggesting taking it daily has some adverse effects. Sorry I can't point to any specifics.

To me, it sounded like one of those things that happens in medical research: "Do this, it will help." Ten years later: "Oh no, wait, that doesn't help after all. Never mind."

Yes, you can find almost as many recommendations to avoid a daily aspirin as to take one. Probably helpful for some, harmful for others.

A short history of medicine.

I have an earache:

2000 BC Here, eat this root.

1000 AD That root is heathen. Here, say this prayer.

1850 AD That prayer is superstition. Here, drink this potion.

1940 AD That potion is snake oil. Here, swallow this pill.

1985 AD That pill is ineffective. Here, take this antibiotic.

2020 AD That antibiotic is artificial. Here, eat this root.

I have taken a cherry or orange low dose aspirin for for many years along with a 1200MG fish oil capsule and always let the doctor/nurse/dentist know if asked for any medications taken. No one has ever commented on it and no side effects that i'm aware of. I'm in reasonably good health except for a diverticulitis attack that's hits usually once a year and each time its taking longer to recover from and at some point surgery will be needed I'm sure.

There's evidence to show that some supplements such as vitamin C can reduce the stomach problems that can be caused by aspirin:

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/aspirin-and-vitamin-c-tog_b_529058

Aspirin also interferes with absorption of vitamin C, and regular use of aspirin can deplete your gastrointestinal lining of vitamin C (3). Taking equal doses of vitamin C and aspirin decreases the amount of stomach damage that occurs when compared to taking aspirin alone, according to research done at a German university (4).

The protective effect of vitamin C on aspirin side effects has been demonstrated in healthy people and people with inflammation of the stomach caused by infection with Helicobacter pylori, a bacterium that causes ulcers (5).

I have taken a 81mg aspirin for about 6 years since my general physician recommended it and it was confirmed by a cardiologist last year when I was diagnosed with an aorta anerysm. He indicated that the benefits for me outweighed the adverse effects. I have not had any adverse effects at this time.

Since about time of colonoscopy, I take 1 small aspirin daily + Magnesium Citrate 400 mg Tablet (NOW brand) + 4 psyllium husk capsules.

The psyllium husk increases fiber bulking (colon cleaning) while the Magnesium Citrate assures regularity.

Last edited:
I am allergic to aspirin! The last time I took an aspirin I broke out in a rash and the doctor said never to take an aspirin again. It is a fairly common allergy, several people in my family have this allergy.

I took aspirin daily until my Dr told me that unless one had a diagnosed heart condition, it might cause more harm than good. Now, I take about one a week if I need some pain relief from problems of 'aging'. I alternate it with acetaminophen and ibuprofen as needed. The idea is to minimize the effects of taking any one drug over a long period of time. I have no idea if there is any good science behind this. It seems to work for me.

I've been taking an 81mg tablet everyday for 30 years now and haven't had a heart attack or stroke yet. Colonoscopy every four years. No adverse side affects that I know of.

My doc said the evidence has shifted, and he withdrew his recommendation. I stopped.

He was never "gung-ho" on it for someone like me (no CV evidence or family history), but did say, about 15 years ago, that it was a reasonably good idea anyway. Now, weakened evidence puts me on the "probably not" list.

I’ve been diagnosed with heart disease, so I’ve been taking 81mg aspirin for a long time. I’m also on a statin and four different blood pressure medications. I also take 3,000mg acetaminophen daily for pain and can’t take any NSAIDS.

Used to take 81 mg daily for a few years. Stopped, who knows why. Recently restarted.
Doesn't hurt me, may help, so why not?

Had been taking 81mg daily on rec from my primary care doctor. My nurse GF questioned that, and suggested I ask him again, and maybe cut to every other day for now, so that's what I'm doing. Probably won't see the doc until fall. I think they just learned more about it from cases or studies. I don't get mad about things like this. I'd rather they change recommendations than just stick with an old story no matter what. Maybe they ought to do a bit more research in the first place though.

When I was first started on BP meds, (~20 yrs ago) my doctor at that time recommended that I take aspirin too. So I did for about 10 years until my new doctor said to stop taking them, so I stopped. Now my new doctor says, there are pros and cons so it's up to me. :facepalm:

81mg daily along with Plavix daily to reduce the possibility of blood clots forming which may lead to heart attack or stroke. I have been diagnosed with cardiovascular disease and suffered a surgically induced stroke. Take then religiously. I had been taking the aspirin for several years before my heart attack last Fall.

I take two 81mg aspirin each day along with a handful of other pills. I got my 2nd stent on May 6th a few days before turning 60. When I got the stint I was put on Effient which is a blood thinner/anticoagulant.

I have been on the low dose aspirin for at least 15 years. My father died at 65 of his second heart attack. My mother also had a heart attack but she was about 80 when that happened. The downside to aspirin is possible stomach damage and many doctors now doubt that any potential heart - and colon health - benefit is worth the risk of gastric problems. In my case, I have GERD that is only partially controlled by medication so I require an endoscopy ever three years. Each of these procedures includes a look in the stomach as well as the start of the small intestine. The G.I. doctor has never found any issues in the stomach or duodenum. So, for me personally, the risk of aspirin therapy appears very low to non-existent compared to the general population while the benefit may be greater than for the general population (I also generally have polyps found by regular colonoscopies) so I believe that aspirin therapy is good for me. It may not be right for others but sometimes you have to consider your own personal circumstances when evaluating therapies with pros and cons.

I’ve been taking one 81mg aspirin every day for about 10 years. I also take a statin and BP medication and 4000 IUs of D3.

I have terrible inherited history of heart disease. My father died of a heart attack at 71, my brother had his first heart attack at 43, and died of one at 63, and my sister had a stroke. My primary care physician prescribed the aspirin as a precaution and my cardiologist approved it. I have left bundle branch block, but no underlying heart health issues so far.

Yep. "Aspirin a day can prevent clots in the brain in old people." "Aspirin promotes brain bleeding in old people."

To me, it sounded like one of those things that happens in medical research: "Do this, it will help." Ten years later: "Oh no, wait, that doesn't help after all. Never mind."

Back
Top Bottom