Who here takes aspirin daily?

East less meat, fish, cow cheese, cow dairy, cow sour cream, eggs, processed crap (or none) and skip the baby aspirin.

I was once taking a baby asprin every day but it caused too many stomach problems so I stopped.

Been taking 81mg daily for 20 years. Family history of heart disease, and so far no issues from the aspirin with digestive system.

Yep. "Aspirin a day can prevent clots in the brain in old people." "Aspirin promotes brain bleeding in old people."
They are both true; Aspirin is a blood thinner, though not as potent as for example Warfarin and other heavy equipment. Like all of these blood thinners, it can help prevent clots, but especially in high doses can cause bleeding, including in the brain. However, most strokes are of the "clot" type, as are heart attacks and pulmonary embolisms, so chances are you'll still be better off with a thinner, very generally speaking. But as they say, always ask a doctor first.

I have one (5 gr) taped with magic tape in my wallet. Every year I change it out. If I think I'm having a heart attack, I'll pop it in the pie hole and chew through the tape.

No BP problems, no heart problems, no statin needs, no nothing....but I take an 81 mg aspirin each day along with a vitamin D tablet . Maybe I shouldn't? My Doc has never said much either way.

Maybe I'll press the aspirin need at my next physical when I tam 77 next May. I think I have been taking one for 10 years now. Some doc along the way must have recommended it, but I don't remember anything specific.

An MRI at age 50 showed “two possible signs of stroke” so the neurologist advised me to take an aspirin daily. My nurse practitioner brother said there is no additional anti coagulation benefit above 81 mg so I cut it back to a baby aspiring daily. That was four years ago and no one has told me to stop, so I keep taking it. The only apparent downside so far is, when I nick myself shaving it takes a while to clot.

Ever since my heart surgery (due to a birth defect, not disease), my cardiologist recommended I take 81mg daily, which I do. During my annual physicals with both my regular doctor and the cardiologist we go through all prescription/OTC medicines I am taking, including the aspirin. They have tweaked a few things over the years but have never said I should stop taking it.

Cardiologist has me on two baby aspirins per day-biological father (and HIS father) each died at 34 from heart attacks. One paternal aunt had two stents installed when she was 50. At 50 now, I willingly take these, a statin, and a low dose BP pill. I still have things to do-such as enjoy retirement!!

I take a baby aspirin every day, but I have coronary artery disease and carotid artery disease. Cardiologist says to keep on taking it.

About a year ago I had a mild eye stroke. Doc put me on 81mg aspirin as a preventative measure.

I'm gonna jump in a little late. Not sure I am the demographic the OP was looking for.

I am currently taking a 80 mg aspirin every day and barring a miracle cure or treatment will for the rest of my life. This is due to the heart attack I had on 3 June.

I think more to the point, I was taking an aspirin a day (about 70-80mgs) for a number of years but stopped a couple years ago when I read some articles ("Latest studies" you know) that said the aspirin-a-day regimen lost it's effectiveness after about age 60. IOW it was a great way for perhaps a HA prone middle aged person to give themselves an edge but once old age set in that was sort of an equalizer.

I had previously had a couple of brief episodes of internal bleeding. Nothing serious found but about a year later I put 2+2 together and determined it must have been the aspirin that I had taken.... without enough water... or on too empty a stomach... or I broke the enteric coating exposing the non protected "raw edges." At that point I said "Hey, I'm over 60, I do all the right things and none of the wrong things. What could go wrong? I don't need the aspirin."

I am one of those rare individuals who is allergic to Aspirin (salicylates in general - wintergreen, honey dew and cantaloupe, and lots of other fruits and vegetables). Taking an aspirin can make it very uncomfortable to breath for 4-5 hours and has the added bonus of stripping my throat raw.

I'm gonna jump in a little late. Not sure I am the demographic the OP was looking for.

I am currently taking a 80 mg aspirin every day and barring a miracle cure or treatment will for the rest of my life. This is due to the heart attack I had on 3 June.

I think more to the point, I was taking an aspirin a day (about 70-80mgs) for a number of years but stopped a couple years ago when I read some articles ("Latest studies" you know) that said the aspirin-a-day regimen lost it's effectiveness after about age 60. IOW it was a great way for perhaps a HA prone middle aged person to give themselves an edge but once old age set in that was sort of an equalizer.

I had previously had a couple of brief episodes of internal bleeding. Nothing serious found but about a year later I put 2+2 together and determined it must have been the aspirin that I had taken.... without enough water... or on too empty a stomach... or I broke the enteric coating exposing the non protected "raw edges." At that point I said "Hey, I'm over 60, I do all the right things and none of the wrong things. What could go wrong? I don't need the aspirin."

Hard to say if taking an aspirin is worth it or not. My cardiologist says to keep on taking it, so I will continue until some point that I have a problem - which is hopefully never.

My dad had two major issues with internal bleeding - one of which almost killed him. Both times he was in the hospital for weeks and it was difficult to get the bleeding stopped. He said it was because he was taking 2 or 3 aspirin daily for years due to some pain he had. He swore off all pain meds afterwards and was miserable quite a bit towards the end because he was scared to take anything.

I'm off the aspirin for the next 7 days due to having cervical steroid injection next week. You wouldn't think having an injection would be a bleeding concern, but they were quite adamant that I stop.

Am I the only person on this Forum allergic to aspirin? I have read about 3% of people have an aspirin allergy. My allergy is that I break out with a rash but my doctor said the allergy could become serious if I ever took aspirin again.

Recently asked my doctor about me taking baby aspirin. He plug my numbers into a formula for risk factors & suggested I hold off for now since benefits down outweigh risks yet.

I've been taking a daily low-dose aspirin for 5+ years now. I decided to start taking it after reviewing quite a few studies which found that daily aspirin does reduce the risk of several GI cancers (colon, prostate, stomach, etc) by quite a bit. My dad had prostate cancer which eventually killed him, so that is a bit of a concern to me. I have no heart issues, and am not worried about heart disease, as my HDL, triglycerides, CRP, etc. have been fine.

I have tried to keep up with the research on aspirin since then, and I have not seen anything that would cause me to change what I am doing. Yes, there are mixed opinions among the medical community about whether someone like me should be taking it, but I'm comfortable with my decision, and plan to continue.

I have never had any stomach bleeding issues or any other issues with the daily low-dose aspirin. I take it with a meal, not on an empty stomach.

My Dad had a quintruple by-pass at age 62.

My older brother had two stents at age 59 and a quadruple by-pass at 62.

I'm 63. No stents. No by-pass. Cardiologist just told me to not come back for at least 5 years. I've taken a baby aspirin in the a.m. and one in the p.m. for about 20 years. No side effects.

I started on the BC Powders in the early 1990's and have been thru crates of them since.
I took them for pain not for heart disease....

Turns out I had pain from herniated discs that gradually got worse and worse until I had Neck Fusion Surgery in 2009.

Ongoing Work stress and resultant headaches and just kept taking the " the powders".

They do work good. At least for ms gamboolgal and I.

Now that we are done with living and working oversea's and back home to Texas, I have noticed a significant decrease in the use of "the powders".......

11bSG7qm.png

I was told by my cardiologist twelve years ago to take a baby aspirin and fish oil every day. This was after I had a case of very high blood pressure. Everybody thought I was having a heat attack, and having a very serious attack of "Very Good Insurance", they ran every available cardiac, pulmonary test known to man. Even after a heart catheterization, nothing was found. So I was put on baby aspirin, fish oil, and some low dose BP meds. My normal BP was 130/90 even when I was a kid in the 60-70's, it's now 120/80. However, daily aspirin and fish oil thinned my blood so bad that if I scratched myself, it looked like I was going to bleed to death. I reduced my dosage to every other day with doctor's permission.

It's a good thing to ask a doctor about

I have mild diabetes so my dr. that treats that always recommends the aspirin, and also blood pressure medicine, although my blood pressure is fine. Seems she has a checklist, and I always have to remind her I have ITP (low platelets) and the aspirin would make that worse. I decline the blood pressure meds too. Why take stuff you don't need?

Back
Top Bottom