Who take probiotics?

Andrew Huberman does great podcasts. Here is a recent one with Dr. Justin Sonnerburg talking about gut health. They basically say don't bother with probiotics or extra fiber and instead eat fermented foods (sauerkraut, yogurt, kimchi, kombucha, etc).

I've used Culturelle and Phillip's. Neither did anything I could detect.
I've also eaten a ton of yogurt over the years just because I like it. Other than taste good provide enjoyment it had no other effects

I took a few culturelle. Made the baby scream hysterically. Apparently she doesn't need probiotics.

I started taking Culturelle a couple of weeks ago as well. One cap a day. Not sure if it's doing anything, but it was recommended in a book for people with psoriasis. I also started taking Bio-K+ for the same reason.

I use Culturelle after a course of antibiotics, otherwise it is homemade kimchi and sauerkraut.

For anyone interested, Dr. William Davis (author of Wheat Belly and other popular books) has a new one addressing this issue.

Super Gut: A Four-Week Plan to Reprogram Your Microbiome, Restore Health, and Lose Weight

From a review:
“Super Gut reveals how virtually every aspect of our health is fundamentally influenced by the vast array of microscopic organisms living upon and within us. Dr. Davis makes it clear that so many issues related to living in our modern world challenge this relationship and set the stage for illness. But the good news, as Super Gut so eloquently portrays, centers on our new-found ability to improve the health and functionality of the vast array of microbes upon which we depend. It’s clear that we can manipulate this relationship to our advantage. And Dr. Davis shows us how.”
―David Perlmutter, MD

My friend from grade school has had GI problems most of her life and no doctor could find the problem. She started making and drinking kefir and she no longer has the problem.

I drink cashew-based kefir, but I can't say I feel any difference.

For anyone interested, Dr. William Davis (author of Wheat Belly and other popular books) has a new one addressing this issue.

Super Gut: A Four-Week Plan to Reprogram Your Microbiome, Restore Health, and Lose Weight

I've been making/eating yogurt from Davis' recipe for 3 weeks so far with l. reuteri and l. casei Shirota. It definitely made a difference in the bathroom. I also seem a bit happier in a way that's hard to describe, maybe a bit calmer. I haven't seen any of the other benefits yet, but I'm intrigued enough to continue the experiment.

I'm going to try l. gasseri, b. coagulans, and l. brevis eventually.

I tried several commercial probiotics a few years ago, but most of them had no visible benefits. Primal Defense from Garden of Life made a difference in the bathroom, but not elsewhere. The benefits ended as soon as I stopped taking it. And it was expensive at $1/day. The yogurt costs about $0.50/day using organic half and half.

I eat some yogurt every night and I give my dog a pumpkin flavored probotic treat daily. We both are doing fine.

I usually eat a yogurt with breakfast each morning. More so for the calcium than the cultures, but figure it can't hurt. I don't like drinking milk, yogurt and cheese help my dairy intake. I like the lower sugar yogurts better than ones with a lot of added sugar.

Back
Top Bottom