Why most people will never be successful

Nemo... don't know if this was your original thought or not.....but it hit home to me. All it needs is a mike drop. :dance:

Don't know it if's 'original' or not, but when I knowingly quote, or knowingly misquote anyone, I always acknowledge credit, or give apologies.

As far as I know this one's all mine......glad you liked it. :)

Last edited:
I think that if you are generally happy with your situation then you are successful to at least some degree.

I once read that a successful man is one who makes more than his wife can spend and a successful woman is one who can find a successful man. :angel:

That reminded me of the bs Megacorp would do every few years when a new management book came out.

Yuck.

My former employer bought into the Pacific Institute garbage. I think it was a way to try to get managers to act like the people they were before they became managers. It didn't work.

That article was so badly written I thought there was a browser that was chopping up paragraphs or dropping some kind of numbering of lists or something.

What complete trash.

The problem I have with this article is that it recommends ditching "low quality" habits and relationships to focus on "high quality" ones. But the author never defines "high quality", and provides no evidence, even anecdotal, to support his recommendations. The whole premise is based on his instincts. As such, therefore, I regard it as business mumbo jumbo.
Maybe if he had solid definitions, he would have progressed beyond writing schtick for a living?

Should we ban posting this kind of article too. We only want facts. I'm just kidding.

It's already been eaten. Now on to cleaning the water fountain. Resting in between now.

Should we ban posting this kind of article too. We only want facts. I'm just kidding.

I am just surprised that Jollystomper posted it. He seems such a grounded person! :)

Success to me is being happily married. Early retirement and financial independence is a bonus.

Huh, most people can't be successful cuz of this? And here I thought it was because success was defined by the top end of normal distribution curve and therefore necessitated a minority population. Seemed so obvious, but I guess I was wrong.

The ultimate success is not bragging about it........or writing about it.

Contentment goes a long way towards defining success, IMHO.

The problem I have with this article is that it recommends ditching "low quality" habits and relationships to focus on "high quality" ones. But the author never defines "high quality", and provides no evidence, even anecdotal, to support his recommendations. The whole premise is based on his instincts.
Thanks for stating what I was thinking in a much clearer way than I could pull together. It feels like the author took the concept of "garbage in, garbage out" and started philosophizing about it. Which isn't wrong, necessarily, but without concrete definitions, evidence to support his argument, and suggested actions, the article isn't useful in any meaningful way. Which makes it "low quality" itself. Probably not what the author intended. :angel:

A more self-actualized group of people could use this as a jumping-off point to discuss what "high quality" and "low quality" mean to them and why. Like we've already started. :)

That reminded me of the bs Megacorp would do every few years when a new management book came out.

Yuck.

Yeah, that's one of the BEST things about FIRE. No more "Creative Thinking", "Performance Excellence", "Six Sigma", blah, blah, blah.

I've thought once or twice about starting a thread on this subject, but lose interest before I ever get started. YMMV

Back
Top Bottom