Wine shopping at Costco

Just saying, every year Mr. Wagner of Caymus, tastes his barrel selection of each varietal, every year 10% are rejected for his label. That 10% is sold to downstream marketers. Is it sold to Kirkland? Is it sold to 2 buck Chuck? Who knows?

It's good; we bought the box a bit over a month ago.
We also had a good Brunello from Costco. Next time, I'll pick up a Montalcino and a Montevertine (if they have one which is dubious). I never saw an Italian red I didn't like.

They have a box set of 4 french burgundy wines for about $35 that looks too good not to try. I got a couple of their prosecco for today, and will remember the $20 champagne for new years.

Costco’s prices are about the same as TotalWine in our area. Costco has a decent selection but TotalWine has quite a bit more selection. So we buy from Costco occasionally, TotalWine more often and they have offer 10-20% off deals all the time.

Same here. I'm guessing that CC wine situation must vary a lot by region. In my area TW deals (and some local merchants) typically undercut prices at my CC.... & offer much better selections. Heck, even local Sam's Club is better (and WAY better pricing on name brand spirits). Although I am a CC member & shop there regularly, I haven't bought any alcoholic beverages at CC in years.

Heh, heh, noticed local Costco added 2 more wine bins since just last week! I thought TG was big for wine. I guess Christmas will be huge! Apparently, no problem with supply chains for wine right now though YMMV.

We love Kirkland Old Vine Zinfandel. It comes out once a year and has never disappointed. I always pick up a case or two so I can drink it all year.

I have another Costco warehouse about 6 miles farther from me than the one I usually visit. Normally, it's not worth the extra drive time and expense. But, the sales tax at the warehouse is a bit over 2% less than the one near me. (It's in a different city.) I go there a few times a year when the 2% savings on my purchase adds up to some descent pizza and beer money or if I will be driving by it for another reason.

I think I will check out their wine and cheese offerings the next time I am there.

Costco runs about the same, or a little more, than local Total Wine & More (lots of locations here) - and they have a much larger selection. Total Wines does specials and member coupons all the time, which also helps. But IME prices are very fair at Costco (in two states I've shopped in regularly), so I wouldn't hesitate to buy there if I found something that Totalwines didn't have.

Last edited:
I used to buy wine at Costco, but we no longer live close to one. Their Kirkland appellation designated wines like Gigondas or Châteauneuf-du-Pape were excellent for the price. Their lower end varietal wines, i.e. Cabernet, Merlot etc were off tasting to my palate.
Total Wine is a candy store for wine lovers. Always good selection and prices.

We are finally supposed to get a Total Wine here, so I’ll be able to compare.

ETA: Looks like it opened a month ago. I’ll have to check it out. Interestingly it’s not far from our Costco.

Last edited:
I have another Costco warehouse about 6 miles farther from me than the one I usually visit. Normally, it's not worth the extra drive time and expense. But, the sales tax at the warehouse is a bit over 2% less than the one near me. (It's in a different city.) I go there a few times a year when the 2% savings on my purchase adds up to some descent pizza and beer money or if I will be driving by it for another reason.

I think I will check out their wine and cheese offerings the next time I am there.

Sorta like our situation with Costco gas. None at "local" Costco, but available at Costco "central." Not usually worth a drive JUST for gas, but if in the neighborhood - I save quite a bundle on gas. Wine is same price at either store I think. YMMV

We are finally supposed to get a Total Wine here, so I’ll be able to compare.

ETA: Looks like it opened a month ago. I’ll have to check it out. Interestingly it’s not far from our Costco.

The nearest Total Wine is just far enough away from me that it is not worth a special trip to shop there. I'd really have to start drinking like the the guys in Mad Men to make the trip worthwhile. [emoji33]

Speaking of wine, I dropped my local wine store's club membership for 2023. Their choices were not tickling my nose in 2022.

Last edited:
There are a lot of major foodie type stores missing down here, so it’s exciting when one moves in. We do have a Sprouts in addition to out trusty HEB and Costco, so we are not deprived.

There are a lot of major foodie type stores missing down here, so it’s exciting when one moves in. We do have a Sprouts in addition to out trusty HEB and Costco, so we are not deprived.
Folks from outside of Texas will not get the H-E-B reference but they have solid selections. Entree into Dallas set off a bit of a frenzy.

Folks from outside of Texas will not get the H-E-B reference but they have solid selections. Entree into Dallas set off a bit of a frenzy.
People have mentioned HEB so many times in this forum that out of state folks know it now. :D

HEB has had their fancier Central Market stores in the DFW area since 2001.

Last edited:
People have mentioned HEB so many times in this forum that out of state folks know it now. :D

HEB has had their fancier Central Market stores in the DFW area since 2001.
Sure. But this did not prevent a mob scene when the first Dallas area H-E-B opened in Frisco. The first customer waited 12 hours for store opening.

Costco’s prices are about the same as TotalWine in our area. Costco has a decent selection but TotalWine has quite a bit more selection. So we buy from Costco occasionally, TotalWine more often and they have offer 10-20% off deals all the time.

Our Total Wine has better prices and selection than any other place in town. Next best is Meijer and Costco.

Sure. But this did not prevent a mob scene when the first Dallas area H-E-B opened in Frisco. The first customer waited 12 hours for store opening.
That’s just funny. I guess they’ve felt seriously deprived all these decades and this was their way of showing it. HEB is very conservative about expansion because they like to be the dominant grocery store in their markets. It’s amazing how they are even able to keep other major grocery chains out in some of their areas like down here.

Our Total Wine has better prices and selection than any other place in town. Next best is Meijer and Costco.

The Costco Wine Blog was often comparing Costco prices as much better than Total Wine on specific wines he reviewed. That’s where I first heard about Total Wine. He is based in Atlanta and that may have something to do with it.

Over this past year our Costco reduced their wooden wine rack display - cut it in half. And has a lot more pallets of wines, typically lower cost. So the selection has been reduced. Fortunately the pallets include some highly rated wines which we have tried since and are excellent. And they are still carrying Kirkland brand wines which is a biggie.

Still kinda bummed about it though.

We are also missing several favorite foods compared to a year ago. Another bummer. They used to bring sone of these in right before Thanksgiving/Christmas - haven’t seen them yet.

No change in our wines here. If anything they've got better over the last year or so. It may be down to your Costco buyer. Ours is a very friendly old guy ;) who loves to chat and recommend wines. He's better than most of our local wine store people! He told us that he requests wines presumably from some master list (but does not always get all the ones he wants). DW loves the Costco 10-year old tawny port. He has a standing order to bring that in as soon as it is available.

Last edited:
I believe our Costco wine buyer is regional, not just this one store (only Costco in the RGV Valley) so decisions are higher up.

I was surprised at the change because after the first few years they hadn’t made any wine area changes, probably for 10 years, and we had really been enjoying the rotating selection.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom