Worse than turning into our parents

I thought my parents were so strict. They were stricter than anyone's parents I knew. In high school, they would not let me stay out late and they always wanted to know where I was at all times, day and night. There were several places my friends were allowed to go that I was not. One example was the local ice skating rink, a notorious pick-up spot. As I got older, I probably went some places I did not tell them about. The funny thing is, if I had a young daughter right now, I probably would not let her do even half the things I was allowed to do then! So now, I believe they were not strict enough.

I was in my 20s before my parents told me the real story of how they met in the 1940s, not the cooked up one. They were at the same dance. My mom had come with some other man, but my dad asked her to dance, then enticed her away by telling her he had a bottle of booze in his car. So she blew off her date and went to sit in the parking lot in the car of this strange man, drinking! Truth is, that is something I never would have done--I know better! So they didn't practice what she preached, and probably did not think I needed to know all that until I was good and grown up. I was a little pissed off when I finally heard the story, but you can only get so mad when you realize that if all that had not happened that way, you wouldn't even exist :)

It's a good thing they didn't tell you the rest of the stories! :LOL:

Yes. We have taught her a command for that: "Dog for cleanup!" When she hears that she comes barrelling at full speed. It is, unsuprisingly, not hard to teach as the reward is built in.

Ha...we do the same, but just, "CLEAN UP!!!" and they quickly come in to help. Much more effective than any stupid Roomba...but certainly not cheaper! :D

My poor DW has to deal with my anal retentive natures in regards to home and car cleanliness. My Mom was extremely rigid in many ways, and having a clean home was in the top 5. I think one of her biggest fears in life was dying and people coming in and seeing how she lived. It was so clean, I would challenge friends to find dust *anywhere* and they usually failed. I'm not as bad as she was, but if I die, the house will be pretty clean and presentable. ;)

Back
Top Bottom