Would This Help Solve Porch-Pirate Problem?

TromboneAl

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
What if many, many people got into the habit of putting random junk in Amazon boxes and leaving them on their porch?

The risk/benefit ratio for the porch pirates would go up.

I have seen many of those videos where people put glitter bombs, dog poo, etc, in boxes. I would worry about some scumbag, getting a box of feces, deciding to retaliate. If they have the audacity to steal off of your porch, they certainly would have no reservations about vandalizing your property.

I have seen many of those videos where people put glitter bombs, dog poo, etc, in boxes. I would worry about some scumbag, getting a box of feces, deciding to retaliate. If they have the audacity to steal off of your porch, they certainly would have no reservations about vandalizing your property.
My concern also.

What if many, many people got into the habit of putting random junk in Amazon boxes and leaving them on their porch?

The risk/benefit ratio for the porch pirates would go up.

Ya, just a box of trash. Doesn't have to be poop and glitter bombs. I like it! Let's all do it!

those boxes look neat, but my amazon delivery dudes barely even come up the driveway, and never as far as the front door where that would be kept. Packages are usually left about 6 feet from the door.

UPS/USPS/Fedex? They tuck stuff behind plants and ring the doorbell.

Have you heard of Amazon in-home delivery? Yes, it's exactly what you think it is. The Amazon delivery driver has access to inside your house.

That's frightening.

I also heard about a grocery delivery service (Walmart?) that will put the groceries you ordered into your refrigerator while you are away from home.

Woodworkers have been putting their sawdust in their Amazon boxes and putting them on the porch. Good way to get rid of sawdust I guess.

In my area sawdust would probably work but random junk would just be dumped along the road somewhere I’m guessing. That’s what they do with the junk mail they steal.

In my area sawdust would probably work but random junk would just be dumped along the road somewhere I’m guessing. That’s what they do with the junk mail they steal.

I agree. It wouldn't take long for the junk to be dumped and start piling up.

Amazon leaves my boxes by the door, on my front porch. Luckily I have never had an Amazon box stolen, either back when I was working or now that I am retired. That just doesn't seem to happen much here for some reason.

Once, about ten years ago, I got an Amazon box that was intended for someone on the next block. So, I took it over there.

Amazon already has secure lockers at a number of locations where you can pick things up (on your way home from work, perhaps?), and UPS and FedEx will deliver to a local "store", so there are ways to deal with it already. It's not as convenient as delivery to your doorstep, but if packages are being stolen because people are out of the house, it's not like stopping by a locker on the way home is a huge inconvenience.

Amazon already has secure lockers at a number of locations where you can pick things up (on your way home from work, perhaps?), and UPS and FedEx will deliver to a local "store", so there are ways to deal with it already. It's not as convenient as delivery to your doorstep, but if packages are being stolen because people are out of the house, it's not like stopping by a locker on the way home is a huge inconvenience.

That's what I've been doing. I also have a PO Box because mail has been getting stolen out of mail boxes for over a year now in my area. It stinks that we have to do this to protect ourselves from thieves but after getting slammed with a 10% penalty on my property taxes after I paid them 6 days late (bill likely stolen and I didn't realize it), a PO Box looks pretty cost-effective.

You're lucky if they ring your doorbell when they deliver; I have a Ring camera and what I see is they run out of the truck, drop the package and run back. Ringing the doorbell would take up too much time.:mad:

The nearest Amazon "locker" is 45 minutes away.

But with Amazon building another 1,000,000 sf warehouse 15 minutes away from me, I should be able to order online and drive 15 minutes to pick up my stuff right from the warehouse.

In my opinion this problem will not be solved, because parcel delivery companies aren’t interested. Like banks and credit card fraud, they benefit from labor saving productivity gains that are greater than the cost of theft. They are also trying to push some of the liability onto the consumer.

We recently had an incident with a “lost delivery” from UPS, left in front of our house that “went missing”. I was surprised at the push back from UPS, the credit card company and the vendor, all initially refusing to accept any responsibility and expecting me to take the $326 loss. UPS even lied to the vendor, reporting I had confirmed receipt of the package, which I never did.

In my discussions with the credit card company, trying to dispute the charge, the CC rep said “our agreement with the vendor and delivery agent included drop off in front of the house as received by us”. This is an entire redefinition of delivery. It’s not written anywhere I can find but seems to be slowly creeping into the transaction.

In our case, I’m not sure what motivated the parties involved to resolve the dispute in our favor, but it came after I let them all know we had filed a complaint with the state Attorney General office.

The type of person to pirate a box off your front porch, would be the same sort of person who would trip, break their neck on your front step, and successfully sue you.

I never order from amazon. We have porch in front that’s stained wood and they usually put the packages behind the gate and they blend in with the color of the wood. People can’t see them. Once my pet medications was delivered 3 blocks away and the woman brought it over.

In my opinion this problem will not be solved, because parcel delivery companies aren’t interested. Like banks and credit card fraud, they benefit from labor saving productivity gains that are greater than the cost of theft. They are also trying to push some of the liability onto the consumer.

We recently had an incident with a “lost delivery” from UPS, left in front of our house that “went missing”. I was surprised at the push back from UPS, the credit card company and the vendor, all initially refusing to accept any responsibility and expecting me to take the $326 loss. UPS even lied to the vendor, reporting I had confirmed receipt of the package, which I never did.

In my discussions with the credit card company, trying to dispute the charge, the CC rep said “our agreement with the vendor and delivery agent included drop off in front of the house as received by us”. This is an entire redefinition of delivery. It’s not written anywhere I can find but seems to be slowly creeping into the transaction.

In our case, I’m not sure what motivated the parties involved to resolve the dispute in our favor, but it came after I let them all know we had filed a complaint with the state Attorney General office.

Odd how this works out. SIL ordered a $2,500 portable generator from AMZN. When it was delivered, it was missing an accessory box and one wheel. After some back and forth (about getting the accessory box), AMZN said because of shipping restrictions, they couldn't take it back. Instead, they were told to keep the generator and were given a full refund. So, a $2,000 generator missing a wheel and an accessory kit (that she found on line for $200) pretty much for free.

As to your predicament, deliveries are covered IN DEPTH in the uniform commercial code. It's complex and not very easy to understand.

Most of my neighbors have locking mailboxes. I suspect that eventually people will have locking package boxes on their porches.

Our SIL has a big box for packages and only UPS will put packages in the box. Amazon routinely puts them NEXT to the box.

Have you heard of Amazon in-home delivery? Yes, it's exactly what you think it is. The Amazon delivery driver has access to inside your house.

I think they got the feedback and are now offering the service to inside your garage.

We have our shipping settings Amazon on "Front Door" with additional instructions of "please place behind pole...thank you!" and about 99% of packages delivered by AMZN are placed where we have asked.

The type of person to pirate a box off your front porch, would be the same sort of person who would trip, break their neck on your front step, and successfully sue you.

or the same low IQ pirate would eat the dog poo you wrapped up and sue after they ate it.:uglystupid:

I looked on Twitter and saw that many people have done something like this with sawdust or used kitty litter.

But no one brought up the concept that if lots of people did it, it would make porch pirating less profitable. Crooks won't risk going to jail if a third of the packages they steal are worthless.

I'm an old fart and pretty strict about not stealing and see no problem with removing a few fingers of those perps who do get caught as well as their drivers. You have to admit, it would be a helluva deterrent.

Back
Top Bottom