Your favorite 2022 Purchase?

DH and I each bought an iPad. We are Android users and anguished over whether or not to buy our first Apple product. We received a lot of helpful tips and advice from folks here and decided to go for it. So glad we did!

iPhone 14 Pro Max. First time I've had the big size, and I love it. Worried at first about the extra weight, but it doesn't actually seem that heavy and still fits in my pocket just fine. The extra screen real estate is a joy for these aging eyes.

Well I'll have to list 2... and the one I actually paid over twice the asking price...
1st would be our new toyhauler camper picked up in May. 2 years old, barely used, and $15K less than new. Its already been to 8 states...
The other was a buddies home brewing set up and supplies... He made me a deal, and I split the stuff with another friend. We paid him over TWICE his asking price and still felt we got the better end of the deal.

In 2022, we once again avoided travel, and spent $ on things instead. My top three included a new projector ($5K Epson LS12000), AVR ($5K Denon AVR-X8500HA), and high-end blue tooth headphones ($0.7K Bowers & Wilkins PX8). Of the three, I'd have to say the new projector, which is brighter, has deeper blacks, and better contrast, is what I enjoy and use the most.

Just so you don't think it was all about me, my wife enjoyed buying some LV purses and a LV wallet, other purses, and other wallets, and a nice pendant necklace (oh, and some Hermes belts).

Last edited:
It's the little things

I had a mishap in May & broke a small bone in my left arm and a bad tibia plateau break, requiring "bone material" and a metal plate, still hobbling but getting better.

Anyway, I had bought a tub bench for scooting into the shower, but I don't need it anymore, I got one of those shower chairs that fits inside the tub, It's great for washing feet or just sitting down while washing my hair. It is a great improvement for bathroom safety.

I am hoping to get a low miles or new Lincoln Aviator before the gov't bans buying new ICE vehicles. I am not interested in electric cars yet, and I don't like the government telling me what I can drive.

The worlds best light for a music stand - I can finally see the ENTIRE page with this spendy light: Giglight Max

After decades of lame stand lights designed to torture musicians in various ways (will it die in the middle of the set, will it fall off the stand mid-song and make a clatter as it falls, did I miss the last 2 measures on each stave, am I going blind, I CAN'T SEE) someone finally got it right.

Grateful.

Our favorite 2022 purchase long awaited was our Tesla Model X. It’s been a very enjoyable adventure so far.

A Honda CRV. I had been living in the city without a car for 5 years. We are moving to the countryside and knew I would be needing a car out there. Wow! It was an unexpected jolt of freedom!

DW does not participate on her own here, so as with many things we do them together.
For experiences, it is a hard toss up between the UK trip to see friends, or our 10 day trip across the US.
For things it is the sewing machine just a few days ago. That one is easy, she takes great joy in her craft.
Today she said she didn't want to go to work anymore. Thank you sewing machine!

EDIT: OK the wife chimed in putting our road trip on top. :)

Last edited:
Without question, the fireplace insert I had installed in my fireplace last September. I’ve only turned the heat on once and that was when my son and his wife and new baby came home for Christmas. (Truth be told, I only turned the heat on for the new grandbaby!). I’ve been burning wood and the house temp has stayed between 66-71. I absolutely love the self-reliance AND not paying for heat…after I purchased the insert that is!

I sold my motorcycle and replaced it with a 1999 BMW Z3 convertible. It's a blast! The wife and I love riding around coastal RI and Newport with the top down (in the warmer weather of course). One of my best purchases of all time....so far!

Personal sauna from Wayfair (google it). Looks absolutely ridiculous but it works.

I was gonna say a Suzuki SV650 motorcycle.
But I guess our new mortgage free house is a much bigger deal, and is awesome.

My wife and I took our 2 sons and one girl friend for a 2 week drive across Norway.

Without question, the fireplace insert I had installed in my fireplace last September. I’ve only turned the heat on once and that was when my son and his wife and new baby came home for Christmas. (Truth be told, I only turned the heat on for the new grandbaby!). I’ve been burning wood and the house temp has stayed between 66-71. I absolutely love the self-reliance AND not paying for heat…after I purchased the insert that is!

Glad you like it, I got one too back in 2015.

27284279839_3eecdb08ce.jpg

It was not cheap either with the needed new 6 inch stainless flex duct but I did the install and saved a lot of dough. Glad I did it then, I don't think I'm able to now.

32234600180_c09474c241.jpg

Don't use it much here in the Central Valley, but at least when I have a fire now the whole house doesn't get cold because all the heat goes up the chimney - :)

Very nice. Our place has a pellet stove. The fuel pellets are far from free, but it is still nice. I guess if you have a wood burner you could cut your own wood for no dollars, but a bunch of effort. Doubting our pellet stove will save money over the gas furnace.

Thanks.

It just always pissed me off that anytime I wanted the "fire ambiance" I had to waste all the heat in the house. I buy bundles at the grocery and use envirologs and sawdust logs and such. But at least now I get the "fire show" and the heat (once the blower turns on) and I don't suck all the air up the chimney.

Yeah pellet stoves rock for the same reason. Very efficient.

Last spring I bought myself a high end bicycle for gravel endurance races. Can’t say that I’ve gotten any faster but it sure makes a long day in the saddle more enjoyable.

We may be the first married couple ever to completely wear out a treadmill. It took 20 years but we did it, one day at a time. So we just bought a really good one this time that they claim will last 30 years. Lifetime warranty. About triple what it should cost. Made in the USA. A Landice L7. Then we bought their R7 recumbant excercise bike to complete the home gym. Not most peoples idea of fun I know. Yawn. Allows us to continue a serious downhill skiing addiction 60 days a year.

It was not a "thing", but for me it's 4 weeks of wandering northern Italy, through the Piedmont region and the Dolomites.

Could have gone for a lot longer, but my wife could not arrange for someone to care for her 96-year-old mother for a longer period.

Two iRobot Roomba E5 vacuums, one for upstairs (Sweepy) and one downstairs (Dusty). They do a good job keeping our floors clean. They vacuum three times per week without complaining.

A little portable Bluetooth speaker called a Noxgear 39g. It clips to your shirts so you can take you audio with you without having to put in earplugs that block out all external sound. I like it best for cycling or when I’m working around the house/yard. Bought several for Christmas gifts this year and they seemed to be a hit. I have no affiliation with this product.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well the single biggest line item for the year was the dentist but that obviously wasn't the favorite.:D

Would have to go with the 5+ week x-country camping/rv trip. Hit 9 or 10 National Parks. Even the pup came with us.

Back
Top Bottom