Join Early Retirement Today
Old 05-26-2011, 04:53 PM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...
Maybe, but more likely is that she was a troll.

haha is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-31-2011, 07:05 AM   #42
Originally Posted by spirit View Post
here is no value higher that that of serenity. Don't equate money with the ability to be happy. No matter the financial cost it is only money and can be earned again. Your life cannot. God bless.
Thank you for sharing this, Spirit. I appreciate your courage and willingness to stand by your husband while he sorts out his demons. I wish you the best.

“One day your life will flash before your eyes. Make sure it's worth watching.”
Gerard Arthur Way

Sarah in SC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 08:16 AM   #43
Give me a forum ...
I have just now read this thread for the first time. It does seem that the thread title "Retired husband and working wife" isn't what the thread is about. Although many conservative proponents of the "olden days" might think that a retired hubby with working wife is wrong, I think in todays modern society it's just as appropriate to have hubby home and the wife working and the other way around.

Just the same, OP and her SO do seem to have some serious issues and the advise given by members is excellent.
"I wasn't born blue blood. I was born blue-collar." John Wort Hannam
youbet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 09:25 AM   #44
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
My Granddad on my Mom's side of the family retired in 1971, at the age of 55. Grandmom didn't retire until 1980, at the age of 56 (Granddad was 64 by then), but then went back to work part time.

But, Granddad didn't sit around on his ass all day making a mess and spending money, either. He'd keep the house clean, tended to a huge garden, worked on cars as sort of a shade tree mechanic (until they started getting more complicated with emissions controls and such), would usually cook lunch and dinner, and when I was a little kid, often watched me. And, he was also getting a gov't pension, which was pretty nice.

So, they both pulled their weight, just in different ways.

To the OP, aren't those railroad pensions pretty generous? My other Granddad, on my Dad's side of the family, worked for the Pennsylvania Railroad for about 35 years. I have no idea how much he actually gets, but I've heard mention that it's pretty good, and I think exempt from taxes, as well!
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:50 PM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.
RUN my dear friend, life will not be easy, but better.
I would make an appointment with a lawyer and see what you might be entitled too. The move on with YOUR life, you are stuck in his right now- and from what it sounds, not very happy.
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2011, 02:57 PM   #46
Give me a forum ...
Sounds sweet. "A working wife is like owning a pumping oil well."

"Neither my companion or I carry firearms on our persons. We depend on the goodwill of our fellow man and the forbearance of reptiles."

- English Bob
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote