Votes: 3 0.7%

Votes: 50 11.7%

Votes: 207 48.5%

Votes: 124 29.0%

Votes: 38 8.9%
  • Other or prefer not to say.

Votes: 5 1.2%

• Total voters
So based on the poll answer options it’s safe to assume you don’t care about members born after 1980? ;)

So based on the poll answer options it’s safe to assume you don’t care about members born after 1980? ;)

My first thought too. I just voted in the 1980 category since it was the closest.

DH is the tail end of the baby boomers at 55 and I'm a Gen X girl at 46. Just a year ago I went to a seminar on generational differences and discovered that a few points on which my DH and I could never see eye to eye- they're just generational differences. I'm retiring in 17 months- he says he's been working less but I can't tell.

It is my general understanding that the vast majority of US Citizens raised within the continental US have SS policies and by the time they have reached 40 years old they will have paid into their SS policies for more than 40-quarters, they will generally be taking 'retirement' at 65 [or there abouts].

Many public pensions are triggered at 65.

So anyone who retires at 65, or older, is NOT doing it 'early'. That is not an early retirement. That is the average age to retire.

My wife and I were both born in 1959.

It is my general understanding that the vast majority of US Citizens raised within the continental US have SS policies and by the time they have reached 40 years old they will have paid into their SS policies for more than 40-quarters, they will generally be taking 'retirement' at 65 [or there abouts].

Many public pensions are triggered at 65.

So anyone who retires at 65, or older, is NOT doing it 'early'. That is not an early retirement. That is the average age to retire.

My wife and I were both born in 1959.

You only need to work 10 years to earn SS 40 quarters, and SS does not prevent retiring early.

I do consider retiring at age 65, the normal historical standard age to retire.

You only need to work 10 years to earn SS 40 quarters

Yes, that is how FDR set it up to function.

... SS does not prevent retiring early.

I did not mean to say otherwise.

... I do consider retiring at age 65, the normal historical standard age to retire.

Since I am career military, within the community of my peers, a lot of people talk about serving part-time in a reserve component. A mental block that I have is that as a reservist a servicemember cannot get their pension before turning 65.

My wife worked for a federal agency [DECA], after so many years she was able to get a pension from her TSP [the plan that she contributed a percentage from her salary into], but she does not get any of the actual pension until she turns 65.

Retiring at 65 is completely 'normal'.

Back
Top Bottom