American Idol 2012 Thread

AI Alumni Jennifer Hudson performed on the "elimination" show. Dang! I need to research what she's done to shed weight recently. I know that she had lost some weight over the past few years, but on the show the other night, she was looking the best I have ever seen her. It looked like she had lost a few more pounds since the last time I saw her on TV a year or so back. She was slim-waisted, had long shapely legs, and was looking pretty good. Sometimes it's a wonder to me how the loss of weight can make some people's faces look better, and Jennifer looked quite beautiful.

I didn't know she was from AI. I had seen her in The Secret Life of Bees. But even I know that she's a spokewoman for Weight Watchers. I have to turn the channel every time she comes on and mangles "I'm Feelin' Good". I'm glad she lost weight, and I'm sure she's a fine modern singer, but leave that song to Nina.

Nina Simone/ Feeling Good - YouTube

Colton was really good, so I was surprised but I am OK with him being eliminated. At this point, they are all good and really none deserve elimination, IMO.

I'd love to just hear this same group sing every week, with no further eliminations, but that isn't going to happen. So, next week I guess it will be Elise or Hollie. Queen sounds more like Elises's cup of tea, and we know what she can do with the right song, so probably Hollie.

Too bad that we couldn't hear Colton do Queen. I think he would have knocked it out of the park.

Yes, I liked Colton also. But he did have a bad week. Seems like a good kid.

For some reason I just don't like Joshua. He can sing good. But he just goes over the top with the runs and riffs. Just too much. And he is almost wierdly emotional. I'd prefer he leave next although it aint gonna happen.

Favorite judge comment this week was Steven Tyler calling Phillip brilliantly awkward. Thought that was a good description.

I continue to be impressed with Jimmy Iovine and his insight. I think he is a good mentor for these kids.

While Philip is very talented, his raspy type of voice is wearing on me, so I wouldn't be unhappy to see him go.

That said, I really wonder if these judges would support a younger contestant (eg 16 yo) winning it all; has that ever happened? I'm still pulling for Jessica.

Colton was eliminated.

The theme for next week is Queen.

I think the Lady Gaga song did him in. I personally like Gaga's "Bad Romance" but thought he did a poor job with it. Plus, it didn't suit his style as a Christian rocker. I think lots of his fans had trouble with the adult lyrics.

I think the Lady Gaga song did him in. I personally like Gaga's "Bad Romance" but thought he did a poor job with it. Plus, it didn't suit his style as a Christian rocker. I think lots of his fans had trouble with the adult lyrics.

Yes, I agree - - his performance was not good. I didn't really notice the lyrics so maybe that was an issue, too. But anyway, his performance left me thinking, "where's Colton?" :LOL:

I was SO impressed with the grace he showed in defeat. Very classy.

I didn't really notice the lyrics so maybe that was an issue, too. But anyway, his performance left me thinking, "where's Colton?" :LOL:

I was SO impressed with the grace he showed in defeat. Very classy.

He changed up the lyrics but the song is so well known, it didn't really matter. Just not the kind of song a guy looking for votes from nice church girls should do. Colton pretty much said this in post show interviews.

He did show grace in defeat. Smart thing to do if he wants a career in the music biz.

Here's the orginial song - 460 million views. Lyric changes or not, I suspect many Idol viewers, particularly the younger ones, know what it's about.

Lady Gaga - Bad Romance - YouTube

Last edited:
While Philip is very talented, his raspy type of voice is wearing on me, so I wouldn't be unhappy to see him go.

That said, I really wonder if these judges would support a younger contestant (eg 16 yo) winning it all; has that ever happened? I'm still pulling for Jessica.

Scotty McCreery was young so I don't see age being an issue at all.

In our house, the consensus is that the girls are a lot stronger than the guys.

Joshua's screaming is becoming annoying. Phillip has a nice personality and is a good entertainer, but the voice isn't as strong as I think it needs to be.

It is amazing the way Elise has hung in there (I liked Jimmy's comment that Elise had a "vacation home" in the bottom 3) and she has had some good moments. I really like Hollie's voice, but she needs to let loose and swing for the fences if she wants to stay on. Jessica has a great voice, but may have peaked too early.

Skylar is likable, entertaining and her voice seems to be getting better every week. I think she could be in the finale.

Scotty McCreery was young so I don't see age being an issue at all.

In our house, the consensus is that the girls are a lot stronger than the guys.

Joshua's screaming is becoming annoying. Phillip has a nice personality and is a good entertainer, but the voice isn't as strong as I think it needs to be.

It is amazing the way Elise has hung in there (I liked Jimmy's comment that Elise had a "vacation home" in the bottom 3) and she has had some good moments. I really like Hollie's voice, but she needs to let loose and swing for the fences if she wants to stay on. Jessica has a great voice, but may have peaked too early.

Skylar is likable, entertaining and her voice seems to be getting better every week. I think she could be in the finale.

Your right, Scotty was 17. Good critique, I tend to agree with everything you've said. The other thing with Skylar, the girl knows how to perform, very good stage presence.

Are you guys from Texas?;)

If you were in charge of picking the show themes, I have a pretty good guess what you'd choose:)

BTW, I'm not from Texas and like Skylar too. That girl's got a great voice, stage presence and spunk!

If you were in charge of picking the show themes, I have a pretty good guess what you'd choose:)

BTW, I'm not from Texas and like Skylar too. That girl's got a great voice, stage presence and spunk!

FWIW, file this under 'to each their own' or 'different strokes', but DW & I really don't like Skylar's stage presence. She is a good singer, but she comes across to us as too 'showy' and 'full of herself'. Hard to put into words or explain, she just turns us off.

I'm surprised Elise keeps hanging in there. I like her, I just wouldn't think she could pull in the votes from that audience.

Jessica's just almost unbelievable. I just can't believe she can perform like that at 17.

-ERD50

FWIW, file this under 'to each their own' or 'different strokes', but DW & I really don't like Skylar's stage presence. She is a good singer, but she comes across to us as too 'showy' and 'full of herself'. Hard to put into words or explain, she just turns us off.

I'm surprised Elise keeps hanging in there. I like her, I just wouldn't think she could pull in the votes from that audience.

Jessica's just almost unbelievable. I just can't believe she can perform like that at 17.

-ERD50

My mom's totally with you and your DW regarding Skylar. However, we both agree Jessica's excellent. It was a big shock seeing Jessica receive the fewest votes. Colton...not so much.

Heh, I just don't like her choice of boots.:blush:

Speaking of Lady Gaga, until last week, not knowing that much about her but having seen her here-and-there on TV, I considered her a much-bally-hooed mid-level talent. (Even the AI judges always seem to sing her praises as a performer and song-writer.)

But last week I caught on my local PBS TV station the "Tony Bennett Duets II" show, and witnessed him also sing the praises of Lady Gaga--which, to me, coming from him, is virtually gospel. Then, I saw and heard her perform with Bennett on that PBS show, and admired both her singing chops and her improvisational skills. For me, she rose a couple of notches in esteem.

I have heard various versions of the standard "The Lady is a Tramp"--including Ol' Blue Eyes's great version--but this is a fine version. That Gaga Lady is a champ!

Tony Bennett & Lady Gaga - The Lady Is A Tramp - YouTube

Last edited:
Speaking of Lady Gaga, until last week, not knowing that much about her but having seen her here-and-there on TV, I considered her a much-bally-hooed mid-level talent. (Even the AI judges always seem to sing her praises as a performer and song-writer.)

But last week I caught on my local PBS TV station the "Tony Bennett Duets II" show, and witnessed him also sing the praises of Lady Gaga--which, to me, coming from him, is virtually gospel. Then, I saw and heard her perform with Bennett on that PBS show, and admired both her singing chops and her improvisational skills. For me, she rose a couple of notches in esteem.

I have heard various versions of the standard "The Lady is a Tramp"--including Ol' Blue Eyes's great version--but this is a fine version. That Gaga Lady is a champ!

Good one Birdie! Since we're talkin' about Idol and Gaga, here's an interesting fact. She took her stage name from this song. She adores Freddie Mercury. Perhaps someone will cover it given this is Queen week.

Queen - Radio Ga Ga - YouTube

Elise did Hendrix! Is this a first on Idol? Love her. First time I've been inspired to actually vote this season.

I'm waiting for the "Dion" night.

:ROFLMAO: Well, good luck with THAT.... :) There are only six contestants left, and tomorrow it will be five... so only three more weeks before the finals. Somehow I think they may just have to pass on "Dion" night this year. :D

Besides, these are just kids. Queen is already like something out of the Dark Ages for them. They probably think Queen songs about the same as Dion songs... unimaginably ancient.

Elise did Hendrix! Is this a first on Idol? Love her. First time I've been inspired to actually vote this season.

Elise was good! I really enjoyed all of tonight's performances, especially Jessica's version of Bohemian Rhapsody. The group performance at the beginning was good, too. I have never voted.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom