Android vs iphone

I went from an LG phone and a Windows 8 computer to an iPhone 5S (upgraded to an iPhone 7 last month) and a MacBook Pro. I call myself a reluctant fangirl because I do love everything about their products but I hate the cultishness of the store and the staff.

I've always been Android but DW has an iPhone mostly to FaceTime with grandkids. I'd guess that she would consider the iPhone easier to use (although just last night I had to restore iOS on her iPhone 7.) For me, android makes more sense. Bought my moto x pure directly from Motorola so am not beholden to any particular carrier.

2nd, with Apple to Apple texts, Group texts are handled by SMS.

Uh, no.

In Messages, Apple user to Apple user routes through Apple over the internet. Works great even if you aren't on a cellular network (iPad or Mac for example).

When messaging people outside the Apple world, it falls back to SMS/MMS and will use the older cellular system.

For group messages, the parts are sent over the necessary infrastructure - SMS/MMS to/from for non-Apple users, Apple infrastructure for Apple users.
You can tell which is being used by the bubble color: blue bubbles are shown for Apple to Apple messaging. Green bubbles are shown for SM/MMS.

Details at: https://support.apple.com/en-us/HT207006 & https://support.apple.com/kb/PH22373

Messages sent to Apple users (blue bubbles) get access to Messages apps, stickers, etc. and your messages use end-to-end encryption. And coming soon (iOS 11) you can even send money to other folks using Apple Pay.

I started with a Samsung Android phone and was amazed by its power. I had an HP laptop and DW had an HP desktop both running WinXP. She has a Motorola flip phone.

The she wanted an iPad and I said fine but it was up to her to be the expert so we bought AppleCare. Then she wanted an iPhone to take pictures. Then she wanted to upgrade her phone. Now we have an HP Win7 laptop, 2 iPhones, 2 iPads and are happy.

My best buddy lost his Android on the beach in PV in March and took over DWs Android. She still has no phone! He says he does not have the time to set it up for her? All of our other friends are on Apple. Mine is a 4s so it is cost-effective.

I believe that the Apple Eco-system comes at a price and people who can't afford it should stay away. The Samsung 8 series seems to offer everything for the price conscious.

DW and I have had Nexus phones since the Nexus One. I usually buy them used, one generation behind the current offering. They run pure Android without goofy proprietary bloatware and updates are available quickly/direct from Google/no middleman delay.
I'm an iPhone user who started with Android. Because of bloatware and delayed updates, Google Nexus is the only way I'd consider an Android phone.

I just bought a Moto G 5 plus. I really have no clue what it can and cannot do. I needed something to use to control my new hearing aids. It looks like I may use it just as a wifi phone and keep my old non-smart phone for calls when away from home. I don't have cell service at home and I can't see doubling the monthly costs for possible use 5% of the time. DD had an iphone for many years and just moved to a Samsung. She is delighted with her new phone.

We're all Apple, and I've had an iPhone since they first came out. Its ok and I'm too old to change or learn a new system.

I have an iPhone and love it.

But ideally, I'd rather have Android. One of the reasons is your phone can act as a remote for tv.

I know I can remote from my iPhone, but not like an Android phone.

We switched to an all-Apple household 8-9 years ago. Still have the same Mac's and they still work perfectly. We like the seamless integration across devices so agree with the comments re sticking with the same ecosystem. Also like the elegance of Apple devices - sleek, modern with white cords instead of black. Fits better with our decor. Also since switching, have had no viruses or crashes - no "blue screen of death" - I've heard the Mac environment is superior in this regard and our experience would support that.

As others have said, it all depends on the ecosystem you are comfortable with. Apple, Google, and Microsoft all have their quirks. You need to understand how you are tied to them and decide if it is worth it.

I am all Android for phone and tablet, but Microsoft for PCs. But Google runs my calendar, and everything updates across platforms.

I gave up my Nook ST e-reader when I changed over to a Nvidia Tablet as its screen does not cause eyestrain when reading). The Kindle App is limited, but for reading it's fine.

Android is more affordable for devices (yes a new Samsung will run you $700-$800, but will it perform as a flagship or an also ran?) As others have said, for Android there is a wide range of applications, most are free.

As for phones, Samsung has a reputation, but a ton of bloatware on the device which is not removable. LG makes good products and buying one level below flagship gets you a great device sure to run til the battery dies in 2-4 years. Choices, choices, choices!

- Rita

Android here as well and some extra good reasons:

1. Travel outside the US. You can buy a factory unlocked Android phone (no hacking in needed) and then as you travel buy prepaid sim cards in the part of the globe where you happen to be and simply swap them into your existing device. SAVES Money.

2. Iphone has removed the headphone jack. I like earbuds w/mic - especially for calls in noisy places and don't want to have to use a standalone, charge-needed, expensive substitute. Again, SAVES money. Earbuds are cheeeeap and available everywhere.

Android here as well and some extra good reasons:

1. Travel outside the US. You can buy a factory unlocked Android phone (no hacking in needed) and then as you travel buy prepaid sim cards in the part of the globe where you happen to be and simply swap them into your existing device. SAVES Money.

iPhones have been available SIM-free for years.

2. Iphone has removed the headphone jack. I like earbuds w/mic - especially for calls in noisy places and don't want to have to use a standalone, charge-needed, expensive substitute. Again, SAVES money. Earbuds are cheeeeap and available everywhere.

iPhones that don't have headphone jacks come with a Lightning-to-3.5mm adapter so it's easy to use a wired headphone with it if you want. Extra adapters cost $9.

I understand some people might prefer Android, but misinformation shouldn't be the reason.

I believe that the Apple Eco-system comes at a price and people who can't afford it should stay away. The Samsung 8 series seems to offer everything for the price conscious.

I doubt the price conscious cellphone user will be looking at the Samsung S8, price wise it's right up there with the latest Apple iPhone. There are decent (older model) unlocked android phones out there for a reasonable price.

If price is an issue, Apple makes the iPhone SE. You can buy a brand new one with 32GB of storage (SIM-less if you like) for $399. It has a smaller screen (4"), but actually lots of people prefer a smaller phone. It's got pretty up-to-date tech - a very nice 12 megapixel camera, fast processor (same as the iPhone 6S), and Touch ID for security.

My Dad bought one recently and just loves it.

iPhones have been available SIM-free for years.

iPhones that don't have headphone jacks come with a Lightning-to-3.5mm adapter so it's easy to use a wired headphone with it if you want. Extra adapters cost $9.

I understand some people might prefer Android, but misinformation shouldn't be the reason.

Yes, this is how I listen on my iPhone 7, plug in my regular old earbuds into the short little adapter. Based on my experience with earrings, I'd be losing one of those wireless individual earbuds before I got out of the store, so lack of a direct connection would have been a deal breaker for me.

Well folks, as the OP, I really appreciate all of your responses. After careful consideration, I've decided to go Android.

I just recently got my new phone and I'm learning the operating system. Actually, I think I'm going to love it. I really enjoy being able to configure the phone the way I want it and not be locked into the rigid Apple system. However, I do intend to keep my iPad LOL. Thank you all!

Back
Top Bottom