Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-08-2007, 08:11 AM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
Granted we have only the OP's side of the story but it does seen his wife is dogging him big time. I ain't gonna lie her set up is sweet but if what he says is true then she is wrong. Two five year olds who are out of the house at school most of the day. Come on how hard can her day be?
Hello? Have you ever had kids? The day starts early morning when she gets them off to school. Then she does the errands, housework/management and has a life while they are at school. Her day gets into high gear when the kids get home, parenting, managing their homework, playtime, sports, eating. Then she cooks, cleans up, supposedly has time with her husband, and then gets the kids ready for school the next day and into bed.

Yeah, it's a sweet set up, all right.

It's probably 9 pm by then. Granted many parents do this plus hold a full time job but is it any wonder why a lot of moms would rather only have ONE full time job?

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-08-2007, 08:29 AM   #62
Full time employment: Posting here.

What seems to be missing from all of this is the point that marriage and a relationship should be a partnership. One where each person should willingly make reasonable adjustments over time. After all, nothing stays the same for 40 years. Defining what is reasonable to each person is where things get sticky. And making radical changes is always harder than incremental ones.

Folks on this board (self included) tend to support Beer Mans' side, given the presentation and think that the wife should adjust to accomodate most/all of his request - for his well-being and their future.

But maybe it can't/shouldn't be all or nothing. More communication and maybe bringing in a third party (therapist or even the accountant) may help develop a compromise that will work for them - allow Beer Man to slow down while only asking the wife to incrementally change the way things have been for years.

I would not have anyone adopt my mode of living...but I would have each one be very careful to find out and pursue his own way, and not his father's or his mother's or his neighbor's instead. Thoreau, Walden
Sandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 09:00 AM   #63

Very interesting debate...but I really think the wife is milking the entire situation! I have never had kids, but I have a lot of friends who do and they are able to hold a full time job, take care of the kids, the home, the cleaning, laundry, and find time to hang out. It works because her and her husband work as a team.
In this scenario, you have one spouse killing himself to provide a comfortable life for the other. The wife does not even want to consider that he is tired and wants to spend more time with her and the kids. I am sorry....but this is not a marriage.....it's a mooch fest!
Old 08-08-2007, 09:06 AM   #64

Marriage really is a partnership...anyway I believe it should be. My husband and I had a great partnership in our marriage. We talked over everything and both of us were able to bend when bending was required. My husband worked nights during our daughter's grade school years and I worked full time during the day. The one time that my husband didn't "talk it over" with me first was when he just up and quit his job. It was just one of those "I can't take it any more" things and he just quit. During that time I was the only bread winner and again, we were partners. We did a lot of growing during our marriage.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:27 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
Very interesting debate...but I really think the wife is milking the entire situation! I have never had kids, but I have a lot of friends who do and they are able to hold a full time job, take care of the kids, the home, the cleaning, laundry, and find time to hang out. It works because her and her husband work as a team.
In this scenario, you have one spouse killing himself to provide a comfortable life for the other. The wife does not even want to consider that he is tired and wants to spend more time with her and the kids. I am sorry....but this is not a marriage.....it's a mooch fest!
Have to agree with you. Like I said before, if she really LOVES you, she will respect your wish to lessen the work hours so you can live and be happy.......

If she fights it, you need counseling. If she refuses, you only have one choice..........

This Thread is USELESS without pics.........:)
FinanceDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2007, 04:07 PM   #66
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldbabe View Post
Hello? Have you ever had kids? The day starts early morning when she gets them off to school. Then she does the errands, housework/management and has a life while they are at school. Her day gets into high gear when the kids get home, parenting, managing their homework, playtime, sports, eating. Then she cooks, cleans up, supposedly has time with her husband, and then gets the kids ready for school the next day and into bed.

It's probably 9 pm by then. Granted many parents do this plus hold a full time job but is it any wonder why a lot of moms would rather only have ONE full time job?
Just to clarify...I cook the kids breakfast and take them to school 50%,and usually stop by the store to pick something up for dinner, then cook it, then do the dishes, then get the kids ready for bed as a team with the wife. This is the best part of my day. I don't mind doing it at all, but it doesn't leave much couple time or time to take care of myself. Work is getting in the way!
Old 08-08-2007, 04:49 PM   #67

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beer man View Post
Just to clarify...I cook the kids breakfast and take them to school 50%,and usually stop by the store to pick something up for dinner, then cook it, then do the dishes, then get the kids ready for bed as a team with the wife. This is the best part of my day. I don't mind doing it at all, but it doesn't leave much couple time or time to take care of myself. Work is getting in the way!
BeerMan,
I'm curious. Do you have any idea exactly what your wife DOES during the day?

When our daughter was younger, my DH started his own business and worked out of our home to cut down on the expense of full-time day care. I worked more than full-time (60+ hours a week) with international travel thrown in. But, if I was in town, I still cooked breakfast, took DD to school, did the shopping, cooking, dishes, and everything else you just described. Other days, DH would have to work late into the evening on his business because he was otherwise occupied during the day. It was tiring, but the sacrifices were well worth it to have a family, build a business and save for the future. And now we've been married for over 30 years and I can't imagine my life without him.

As I said in my earlier post, a successful marriage is a partnership -- and not one where each partner gives 50/50 every day. Somedays, one partner has to give 100% -- like when I was traveling and my DH would have to schedule his day around our daughter's needs.

But from what I've read throughout your posts, there's something WAAAAYY out of whack with the share of the load you're carrying. Wishful thinking on your part isn't going to change this dynamic -- I sincerely hope you find it within you to get your wife to understand why you must make changes . Good luck.
Old 08-08-2007, 08:58 PM   #68

Oldbabe;544542]Hello?
Hello to you.

Have you ever had kids?
No. And by the time I married the step kids were married with kids of their own.

The day starts early morning when she gets them off to school.
Yah and...It starts the same time to get hubby off to work or to start your own day.

Then she does the errands, housework/management and has a life while they are at school.
Again and... you have to do the same to maintain your self and spouse if you have one. And guess what she has a life while the kids are at school so how horrible is that?
Her day gets into high gear when the kids get home, parenting, managing their homework, playtime, sports, eating.

I'll give you all of that except the eating part since she and hubby have to eat also.

Then she cooks, cleans up, supposedly has time with her husband,
Girlfriend has to do that anyway whether she has kids or not.

and then gets the kids ready for school the next day and into bed.
Score one more for you.

So far I am not impressed. Most of what you listed she would have to do whether she had kids or a spouse or not. Seems like she has a smooth ride so far.

It's probably 9 pm by then.
Oh don't tell me she falls out soon after because she is soooo exhausted. Please. Sell it somewhere else. I am one of seven children, the oldest daughter, and both my parents worked. It is called life and you live it no matter how many are in the house.

Granted many parents do this plus hold a full time job but is it any wonder why a lot of moms would rather only have ONE full time job?
Now if you tell the lady is beating rugs, making her own soap, canning her own food and making her kids clothes, I would be impressed but this is 2007. How ever did our mothers and grandmothers manage? Have you noticed how the level of women's complaining increased with the introduction of each labor saving device? Guess I better duck now since I'm breaking ranks.

La tavola e il letto non hanno restrizioni.
Old 08-08-2007, 09:03 PM   #69

Quote:
Dude you are either the most hag ridden man on earth, a class A smacked a** or you are doing some big league major leg pulling here. Quit posting because you are losing major cool points each time you do.

Old 08-08-2007, 11:08 PM   #70
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cattusbabe View Post
Dude you are either the most hag ridden man on earth, a class A smacked a** or you are doing some big league major leg pulling here. Quit posting because you are losing major cool points each time you do.
Don't really care about "cool points". Just trying to explain that the everyday living "work" is far more enjoyable at this point in my life than going to the office and listening to adults whine like 5yo's about their percieved problems. Don't feel "hag ridden" and could easily just go to work in the AM or go out to dinner in PM and DW would be fine with that. It's not about the "work" at home, it's about the hours of work at work. Making eggs in the AM with the kids beats the heck out of a 6AM Board Meeting or some other Urgency. And life does not get much better than flipping some meat on the grill with an icy cold Fat Tire Amber ale in hand. Another Fat Tire for clean up and life is good! You know, the days I start work at 5 or 6AM, I would much rather be getting the kids ready for school. The nights I work until 11 or 12 or 1, I'd much rather be home "working" any day. At this point "being" is far more "cool" to me than "doing."
Old 08-09-2007, 05:26 AM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Beer Man, it is a pity you are married and a guy, cause at this point hell I'd even want to marry you

(FYI: I am guy and straight)
Old 08-09-2007, 06:12 AM   #72

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
Beer Man, it is a pity you are married and a guy, cause at this point hell I'd even want to marry you

(FYI: I am guy and straight)

Ditto....but I am a woman and sraight!

All kidding aside Beerman, in this day and age with all the amenities available, your wife has a really easy setup. Hey, you are the primary breadwinner....you get to decide if you need to cut back on working 18 hours a day. If your wife is that concerned about the quality of life....well then she will need to learn how to budget and get a full time gig of her own. Marriage is definitely a partnership.

And if it doesn't work out....you have two offers of marriage...one from a guy and one from a girl!
Old 08-09-2007, 06:48 AM   #73

Well, I think you both are not tuned in to hear each other's hearts (as in deep, real, honest communication). At least she is not hearing your heart.
But to do that you have to express that you feel like you're not being a successful father or husband when you excel in making money - but that you do not excel in "being there" timewise for your kids and for her. You two have to redefine success (best done together).

So I'd agree with the counseling part. Also, if you are killing yourself to protect her feelings, you may want to check out a book something along the line of "Co-Dependent No More" or something similar.
Old 08-09-2007, 08:31 AM   #74

Quote:
Don't really care about "cool points". Just trying to explain that the everyday living "work" is far more enjoyable at this point in my life than going to the office and listening to adults whine like 5yo's about their percieved problems. Don't feel "hag ridden" and could easily just go to work in the AM or go out to dinner in PM and DW would be fine with that. It's not about the "work" at home, it's about the hours of work at work. Making eggs in the AM with the kids beats the heck out of a 6AM Board Meeting or some other Urgency. And life does not get much better than flipping some meat on the grill with an icy cold Fat Tire Amber ale in hand. Another Fat Tire for clean up and life is good! You know, the days I start work at 5 or 6AM, I would much rather be getting the kids ready for school. The nights I work until 11 or 12 or 1, I'd much rather be home "working" any day. At this point "being" is far more "cool" to me than "doing."
That is my point. You state you are working a 60 to 80 hour work week, and take on 50% of the house hold duties. Do you commute to work? When do you sleep?

Old 08-09-2007, 09:39 AM   #75
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Sounds like me.....are we related? But, I don't work 16 hours a day, but I know that wouldn't work........

Who does the housework??

Old 08-09-2007, 09:41 AM   #76
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by citrine View Post
Ditto....but I am a woman and sraight!

And if it doesn't work out....you have two offers of marriage...one from a guy and one from a girl!
Sweet. now we need a matchmaking section on here............where "LBYM Meets LBYM"........

Old 08-13-2007, 03:09 PM   #77
Recycles dryer sheets

another woman here, with .02 to share.

I don't know what she does during the day, but it does sound like she's milking it, especially if the kids are in school now & you're doing 50% of the chores. I'd feel like an a$$hat if I worked that little while my husband (who I'm supposed to love) worked his butt off.

the part you stated about buying a cheaper car & banking the difference really bugged me. I don't see why her opinion in that (buy the more expensive care) is more important than yours.

I can understand that concept that, if you've been working long hours for so long, she may be used to life without you. it sounds like she needs to get used to life WITH you again, which may take time, but I don't see why it wouldn't be doable to start enjoying each other's company again. although I guess it depends on where her priorities are: keep up with the joneses, or have a husband to learn & grow & cherish life with.

I agree with all the 'get thee to a marriage consouler' comments. would she go? if she wouldn't go, you should go yourself. you may learn some good techniques on how to talk to her.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:38 PM   #78
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I would rather be home raising the kids, or at least there when they get home from school.
So find a way to do it. It's 2007. Switch roles with DW, now, before you implode!
Old 08-16-2007, 11:21 AM   #79
Recycles dryer sheets

That's a tough spot to be in. My wife is 100% onboard with our plans to RE. She wants out of the working world just as much as I do. However,
Old 08-16-2007, 11:28 AM   #80
Recycles dryer sheets

Cont'd from my last post.....I'm new here.

sometimes she feels the need to keep up with the Jonses and I need to remind her that our long term goals sometimes require some sacrifice. For instance, we currently live in a 2 bed 2 bath townhouse. Since we don't have any kids yet, it's perfect for us. Most of our friends, though, have been buying big houses and and one just bought a boat. I had to remind her that we have a goal to RE and we shouldn't compare ourselves to our friends. What they want to do with their money is their business. Just because they spend more than we do doesn't mean they make, save, are worth more than we are.