Any buyers here for one of these?

Ha ha, what? No way! I'll stick with my minivan, thanks. Lowe's and uhaul rent pick up and flat bed trucks or I can buy/borrow a trailer if I ever need to haul mas fsive quantities or bulk materials.

Until then, I'll take my $8000 7 year old toyota minivan. Much better stuff hauler in general (8 ft couch fit in the back no problem - try that in the standard pick up truck bed!). It also seats 7-8 very comfortably with plenty of weatherproof storage room and interior space.

If I ever needed to haul or tow massive loads or routinely put filthy dripping wet nasty stuff in my cargo compartment, I'd probably go truck. Until that point, I'll stick with a minivan since it's a lot more versatile (and half the price when bought new vs the trucks and nicer IMHO).

He believes he bought at rock bottom price of $72,000.

So you pay $72k for the truck and three times that for the trailer .That's when you can really get-away-from-it-all.

Does Starbucks deliver out there ?

So you pay $72k for the truck and three times that for the trailer .That's when you can really get-away-from-it-all.

Does Starbucks deliver out there ?

Pretty sure you can purchase a whole franchise for about that price and run it out of the trailer. :D

If I ever needed to haul or tow massive loads or routinely put filthy dripping wet nasty stuff in my cargo compartment, I'd probably go truck.
Either that, or jump off a bridge. What a dreadful way to spend one's hard earned retirement time, IMO only. YMMV and obviously does for some here.

Either that, or jump off a bridge. What a dreadful way to spend one's hard earned retirement time, IMO only.
Your view of owning a truck and RVing is much like my view of video gaming - a dreadfully wasteful and boring way to spend my remaining time on this earth. Just my opinion, of course. :D :LOL:

Either that, or jump off a bridge. What a dreadful way to spend one's hard earned retirement time, IMO only. YMMV and obviously does for some here.

People pay good money to jump off bridges. It's called BASE jumping and bungee jumping. To each their own... :D

I think the brakes are also larger in a 350, but you are correct that the primary difference is in the springs (and thus a larger towing capacity).

I agree that stepping up to a 350 is a wise move. Only $1K in added cost (the last time I looked) but a nice bump in towing/weight capacity - a requirement way too many RV folks underestimate when buying a big trailer.
The body and frame are the same, but the axles and springs are heavier on the 350.

Last edited:

Your view of owning a truck and RVing is much like my view of video gaming - a dreadfully wasteful and boring way to spend my remaining time on this earth. Just my opinion, of course. :D :LOL:

How about you two go RVing in a Candy Apple Red truck with custom rims and video gaming when you stop for the evening? Please let me know how this works out as I think it's one of my better ideas.

Man, I hope I never get old... :D

I'm thinking of the future, as at first I thought a 150 could pull a trailer, but talked to some folks who felt that was a bit light, and I should get a 250.

The half-ton truck can pull a lightweight trailer (I'm assuming we're talking about travel trailers here) but you have to keep a close eye on your towing capacity and from what I've read you want to have the real-world tow load no more than 75% of full rated load.

This will restrict your options by a lot. The salesguys will try to sell you the biggest trailer your truck is rated to pull, and they will ignore what the trailer weighs when it is loaded, focusing only on empty weight. Then when you load it with gear and fill the water tank you're starting out overweight, setting the stage for lots of Real Bad Things to happen. People who buy a too-large trailer will do fine on flat ground but when they get into even just hills, let alone mountains, they're in trouble fast.

I learned a lot when I was trying to convince DW to get a travel trailer. I have a half-ton GMC truck and quickly found that a 3/4 or 1 ton truck is by far a better choice if you're thinking about a travel trailer. It can be done of course but you're going to give up some floor space, water & sewage capacity and the like.

Do any of these trucks fit in a non-tandem garage? It seems crazy to spend that much money and then leave the truck out in the elements.

But then again - we're probably the only people in our neighborhood that have BOTH cars in the garage.

Do any of these trucks fit in a non-tandem garage? It seems crazy to spend that much money and then leave the truck out in the elements.

But then again - we're probably the only people in our neighborhood that have BOTH cars in the garage.

I think it may be difficult to get these large vehicles into a typical residential garage.

I have a friend who has a diesel truck to pull a trailer. The truck is by far the higher $$$ value of all their rolling stock. So the $$$ truck sits on the street and the trailer and several other vehicles live in the driveway and the garage is a storage space for stuff along with an off road vehicle. The $$$ truck has been hit multiple times over the years sitting out on the street!

Mine will fit in the garage, but we paid extra for little bit higher door entrance and larger garage door. My old truck had a "bump" rise in the shell over the bed and it fit in with one inch to spare. The truck I have now has the short bed (6.5 feet) and extended cab, not the full crew cab. I measured before ordering the truck and with the crew cab I would only have had one inch fore and aft to spare. I'm good at parking, but not that good, so I knew eventually I'd be hitting the wall. And yeah you can put down a board on the pavement or dangle something from the ceiling at the right place but I just thought all that was more bother than it would be worth.

What I didn't know at the time the house was being built is that the larger houses have larger garages. A guy down the street has one of the smaller houses and his pickup will not fit in the garage.

Every house in this development has at least a one-car garage, most have a two-car. I too am amazed at how many fill the garage with junk and leave expensive vehicles out in the elements. We keep both vehicles in the garage and after only a few years the difference shows.

My newest PU, a 2015 4WD Tundra which I bought last year, was sticker priced over 45k, however I paid well under 40k for it. I thought that was cheap compared to my new SUV (a 70k Jeep), which I also bought last year.

Last edited:
How about you two go RVing in a Candy Apple Red truck with custom rims and video gaming when you stop for the evening? Please let me know how this works out as I think it's one of my better ideas.
Only if W2R agrees to dump the black tank...
Gee, I was off at the gym, a restaurant, and multiple errands. And look what you all were doing while I was gone! :LOL: That sounds like an awful idea, all in all.

Now I think I'll quietly play my video game for a while and contemplate how happy I am in the here and now. :D

If you have the means, why not have a nice truck? This is USA where we at least for now we have freedom and can drive what we want.

I do agree they are a lot of money. I also think they are quite nice with as many luxury features as many luxury sedans. These aren't the work trucks, they are the top-level models.

I am looking.
Since my camp beater 98 GMC 1500 Z71 is on final legs, 210,046 miles as of this evening and mostly rusted out. Likely will not pass annual safety and/or emissions inspection in June when it is due.
Am looking for a replacement but not any new one. It will be a GMC 1500 Z71, no newer than 2011 at most.

They can keep those new ones or sell them to those with money to burn. I gotta laugh at the bedliner spray in or otherwise. Pickup beds rust from the bottom up, not from top down. The inside of my rustbucket pickup's bed has many scratches, all the rusting is form the bottom including the stiffeners which are mostly gone.

My spray-in bedliner is not for rust prevention.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum

My garage is 30' deep and I can barely fit my ATV in front of the truck. My truck is an F-150 4 door super crew with a 5.5' foot bed, measuring a little more than 19' long. So it would be a very tight squeeze in most garages, if at all. I also had to cut off about 4" of the radio antenna to get it to clear the top of the garage door opening.

We have a F150 Platinum and a F250 Platinum and both fit in our garage. These larger trucks aren't for everyone and why anyone else cares is strange. I don't care what anyone else drives, what kind of home they have, what they do with their spare time, it's individual choice.

Every house in this development has at least a one-car garage, most have a two-car. I too am amazed at how many fill the garage with junk and leave expensive vehicles out in the elements. We keep both vehicles in the garage and after only a few years the difference shows.

We keep both vehicles in the garage, vs many of our neighbors, and yes it really helps preserve a vehicle.

My DW has an 18 yr old car and the body/interior is fine as she kept it inside a garage when parked.

Back
Top Bottom