Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-02-2007, 08:39 AM   #61
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert the Red View Post
You can control the 'click thru' feature of the Mac X11 application by setting a system default. This is done by issuing the command

defaults write com.apple.x11 wm_click_through true
Wow, thanks! I'll try it out. This has been driving a lot of folks at work nuts.

Quote:
The equivalent of mouse button #2 (middle button) is 'Option'+click, and the equivalent of #3 (right button) is 'Apple'+click.
Are those mappings standardized? Good to know if so.

Quote:
However, if you are going to use X11 much, you really should get a 3 button mouse (or a mouse with a scroll-wheel).
Yeah. Thing is, somebody decided to get a whole bunch of Macs for use primarily as X11 servers. Seems like the most expensive possible solution to me, but the folks in charge of that decision are Mac fanatics. Maybe I should just bug them to shell out for the mice, too.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-02-2007, 09:29 AM   #62
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp3 View Post
Are those mappings standardized? Good to know if so.

Yeah. Thing is, somebody decided to get a whole bunch of Macs for use primarily as X11 servers. Seems like the most expensive possible solution to me, but the folks in charge of that decision are Mac fanatics. Maybe I should just bug them to shell out for the mice, too.
Yes, those are the standard Apple-recommended ways to do the Button #2 and #3 clicks.

The cheapest way to get an X11 seat is probably to buy a low-end Linux system. Harder to set up than a Mac, though.

And really, if these things are primarily for X11, a bunch of cheap 3 button USB mice are a trivial investment that will save people's sanity. If you are using one yourself, and the company for some reason won't get you such a mouse, then pay the $10 yourself!

Old 07-02-2007, 12:13 PM   #63
Administrator

Quote:
If you are using one yourself, and the company for some reason won't get you such a mouse, then pay the $10 yourself!
$10? The last one I bought cost $5, after rebate.

Sorry. COULD NOT help it. I love my little $5 three-button mouse and I love getting a good deal!

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 12:39 PM   #64
Moderator Emeritus

I appreciate the heck out of any well-engineered product whose touch surfaces & moving parts work flawlessly together, whether it's an iPhone or Vida Guerra.

But I can enjoy gazing upon these modern works of art without feeling compelled to possess them-- especially when they'd cost me thousands of dollars, let alone be contractually temporally limited or require extensive explanation to my spouse.

Now I just have to reformat those above sentiments to be adoptable by our teenager, who still confuses engineering admiration with consumer lust. This time I'm talking about the iPhone.

The best iPhone endorsement I've read in the last 60 hours comes from a local tech geek who puts it in terms of "belt space". He used to have to carry a cell phone, a PDA, and an iPod. His Treo got the belt space down to just two pieces of gear, and now the iPhone means just one. Not a bad camera, either...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:03 PM   #65
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nords View Post
I can enjoy gazing upon these modern works of art without feeling compelled to possess them-- especially when they'd cost me thousands of dollars, let alone be contractually temporally limited or require extensive explanation to my spouse.
I feel the same way about certain cars. I can appreciate that they are really beautiful, and utterly adore them, but I do not feel compelled to possess one (and the insurance coverage, and bad mileage, the maintenance, and the questionable repair record that comes along with that beautiful machine).

And then there are boats, and planes.

It's not like whatever-it-is will forever vanish from the earth if I don't purchase one.

- - H. Melville, 1851
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 01:12 PM   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want2retire View Post
the maintenance, and the questionable repair record that comes along with that beautiful machine).
It's not like whatever-it-is will forever vanish from the earth if I don't purchase one.
Very good points-- it's not the expense, it's the maintenance!

This time I'm not talking about iPhones...

The book written on E-R.org, "The Military Guide to Financial Independence and Retirement", on sale now! For more info see "About Me" in my profile.
I don't spend much time here anymore, so please send me a PM. Thanks.
Nords is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2007, 02:09 PM   #67

There was a crowd of people in one of the cube aisles. One of the production support people got an iPhone and was showing it off. It only took an hour in line and hour to get set up.
Old 07-02-2007, 02:29 PM   #68
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by bssc View Post
There was a crowd of people in one of the cube aisles. One of the production support people got an iPhone and was showing it off. It only took an hour in line and hour to get set up.
I just walked into an Apple store yesterday and bought one. Activation took about 6-7 minutes on my computer -- but I already had an AT&T cell phone plan, so that sped things up a lot.

Still figuring out some of the details, and running into various software limitations that I hope will be fixed. Such as:
  • No way to save an emailed JPEG file to the Photos directory
  • No way to Copy/Paste between screens and applications
  • Not all applications turn sideways when you turn the iPhone
  • Google maps directions doesn't have the new feature on the Web version where you can drag the suggested route to go via some other path -- say, if you want to avoid freeways
  • Can't capture video with the builtin camera
Old 07-02-2007, 05:23 PM   #69
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Well, the 'belt space' saving is a plus.
But still the number one reason for me is the interface. For me it is perfect. I can type messages 5 times faster than I could with other phones (smart or otherwise). I also like how it treats text messages as conversations, so it will show the persons text message to you underneath your text message to them, under their message to you, all the way back to the beggining of the conversation.
The method of scrolling is painfully simple and elegant.
Yes, I paid to much and yes, the next generation will have fewer bugs, but I am very happy with my purchase
Old 07-02-2007, 05:54 PM   #70
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
The cheapest way to get an X11 seat is probably to buy a low-end Linux system.
Yup, that's what I opined, too. Especially considering that the Mac X11 terminals are being used as display devices for applications running mostly on... Linux machines.

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week.

But, sadly, no joke.
Old 07-02-2007, 06:38 PM   #71
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by bpp3 View Post
Yup, that's what I opined, too. Especially considering that the Mac X11 terminals are being used as display devices for applications running mostly on... Linux machines.

Thank you, thank you, I'll be here all week.

But, sadly, no joke.
Are you SURE about that? I could swear that came right out of a Dilbert cartoon
Old 07-02-2007, 10:30 PM   #72
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by TromboneAl View Post
There's a lot of stuff the iPhone can do that people don't know about:

And another shows it doing magic tricks...

-ERD50