Are your neighbors insane?

I'm probably that crazy neighbor. I have two dogs, a golden (Lilly) and a lab. The golden is often off leash (I know, how irresponsible) and likes to wander in neighbors' garages/sometimes houses.

For some reason, my Indian neighbors are deathly afraid of dogs and one time my Lilly found her way into their house. I know I'm bad, but I couldn't stop laughing hearing them scream.

But I'm pretty good about picking up the doggies' business, and while I'm at it, I pick up other litter. So it's a bit of a wash. Most don't appreciate my dogs but don't realize why the neighborhood doesn't have trash.

I've seen good and bad on NextDoor, but tonight, thanks to ND, our neighborhood won a HUGE victory before our city's zoning ordinance board. Long story short, ND informed us all about an 'under the radar' attempt to change zoning to allow variance of up to 15 people to live in a 'sober living' house (business) smack dab in the middle of our neighborhood. We came out in full force and it got voted down. Without ND spreading the word quickly, we wouldn't have known about this. Huge victory for the neighborhood.

Next Door worked the same for a grass roots efforts, here where I live, to prevent 20 acres of forest being converted, bulldozed and made into a boat storage facility. The neighbors rose up through Next Door, signed a petition and essentially stopped the owner in his tracks before it got to zoning. The owner now has said that will go for high end houses which is not as bad as the boat storage facility he originally proposed.

Sigh. Had a crazed neighbor that went into a screaming fit when I used his water spigot to clean off a tool, since my house only had one spigot on far side.

I dunno, I kinda side with your neighbor on this one. I would've asked first, and only if we were already friendly. Whether you only have one spigot is irrelevant.

But that's just me. I wouldn't have had a fit but I'd be annoyed.

Ah, the joys of living on 10 acres of wooded land. I cant see any neighbors...well, there are only 2 houses in the vicinity. The closest is around 300 yards away...which is too close imo. If I had to or if we do it again, we'll be purchasing 50+ acres and building right in the middle.

Ah, the joys of living on 10 acres of wooded land. I cant see any neighbors...well, there are only 2 houses in the vicinity. The closest is around 300 yards away...which is too close imo. If I had to or if we do it again, we'll be purchasing 50+ acres and building right in the middle.
+1. We live on the back of 7 acres. (there is a timber trust behind us that will likely never be developed) When the alarm company was doing the install, the guy asked if we wanted exterior alarms. When I asked why, he told me I didn't have any neighbor's close enough to hear them. If we have crazy neighbors we don't know them.

I dunno, I kinda side with your neighbor on this one. I would've asked first, and only if we were already friendly. Whether you only have one spigot is irrelevant.

+1

A similar thing happened to me. When they started extending the development, a crew was extending the street near our house. I'd regularly hear water running for a short period. One day I looked out the window and saw a guy on the work crew filling up his thermos from our outside spigot. He probably assumed that no one was home, because we kept our cars in the garage. I went outside and let him know how I felt about him taking our water that we're paying for without asking. He got snotty with me, so I called up the builder and told them what was going on. It didn't happen again. I mean, plain and simple, it's stealing, when you don't ask permission.

I'm probably that crazy neighbor. I have two dogs, a golden (Lilly) and a lab. The golden is often off leash (I know, how irresponsible) and likes to wander in neighbors' garages/sometimes houses.

For some reason, my Indian neighbors are deathly afraid of dogs and one time my Lilly found her way into their house. I know I'm bad, but I couldn't stop laughing hearing them scream.

No probably about it. I could say a whole lot more, but the mods and admin already have tagged ME as one of the crazies here and I don't need to add to their duties today.

I agree. Even if something seems innocuous, we have always asked our neighbors first. Even when they have replied "you didn't need to ask for permission for that", we could tell they appreciated our consideration for them.

I only have 1 close neighbor and he's not insane, just a little stupid.

When they bought the place it had a nice sparkling pool in it. The pool was an in ground vinyl liner type and looked very nice. They drained it (possibly for child safety) dunno and then it became just a huge hole in the ground. Apparently the dogs destroyed the liner and he removed it.

As to child safety I still dunno as they put an above ground on the patio later.

So, for 10 years now my next door neighbor lives with a huge dirt hole for his backyard.

Amazing.

I only have 1 close neighbor and he's not insane, just a little stupid.

When they bought the place it had a nice sparkling pool in it. The pool was an in ground vinyl liner type and looked very nice. They drained it (possibly for child safety) dunno and then it became just a huge hole in the ground. Apparently the dogs destroyed the liner and he removed it.

As to child safety I still dunno as they put an above ground on the patio later.

So, for 10 years now my next door neighbor lives with a huge dirt hole for his backyard.

Amazing.

Whew! For a minute there, I thought you lived next to rayinpenn. But Ray filled his hole the next day. :)

......... One day I looked out the window and saw a guy on the work crew filling up his thermos from our outside spigot.........
If you get this upset over a thirsty man stealing a quart of water, you just might be the crazy neighbor. :LOL:

I agree. Even if something seems innocuous, we have always asked our neighbors first. Even when they have replied "you didn't need to ask for permission for that", we could tell they appreciated our consideration for them.

+1000.

If you get this upset over a thirsty man stealing a quart of water, you just might be the crazy neighbor. :LOL:

Thanks for agreeing with me that he was stealing. :LOL: He probably took several quarts across many days before I bothered to investigate. I don't remember all that each of us said, but it went something like this: I opened a window and said, "Excuse me, but what are you doing?" He got startled and angry right away. If he would have said, "Oh, I'm sorry. I didn't know anyone was home. Do you mind?" I would have been fine with that. Instead, he said something snotty, so I said, "We're paying for that water." He said, "What do you want, a dime for the water?" in a snotty way. So I said, "No, I don't want your money. I would have liked you to ask first. Then you could have all the free water you want." It still could have been salvaged, but he walked away, still angry.

If you plant a vegetable garden, does that give your neighbors the right to take what they want without asking permission? BTW, if you think that's being upset...that's nothing. IIRC, I had 1 toddler and 1 infant at home at the time and was probably sleep deprived and massively short on patience. Can I plead temporary insanity? :D

I do try to pick my battles and not make every little thing into one.

Both my immediate neighbors undertook major construction when they first bought their houses. Their work crews used our water regularly during the construction. Yes, it added marginally to our water bill, but they were our new neighbors and we were happy to help them out.

I would not be upset if someone takes a bit of my tap water. If it were me needing the water I would ask first, though.

If my neighbor were washing his car with my hose, it would upset me. Or if I were in a place like Terlingua, Texas, where water is really precious.

Time for some music.

Do It Again

In the mornin' you go gunnin' for the man who stole your water
And you fire till he is done in but they catch you at the border
And the mourners are all singin' as they drag you by your feet
But the hangman isn't hangin' and they put you on the street
Yeah, you go back, Jack, do it again, wheels turnin' 'round and 'round
You go back, Jack, do it again​

I would not be upset if someone takes a bit of my tap water. If it were me needing the water I would ask first, though.

If my neighbor were washing his car with my hose, it would upset me. Or if I were in a place like Terlingua, Texas, where water is really precious.

Time for some music.

Do It Again

In the mornin' you go gunnin' for the man who stole your water
And you fire till he is done in but they catch you at the border
And the mourners are all singin' as they drag you by your feet
But the hangman isn't hangin' and they put you on the street
Yeah, you go back, Jack, do it again, wheels turnin' 'round and 'round
You go back, Jack, do it again​

I wonder where all those people in the video are today?

I don't follow any musician, and the above song is the only one I know from the rock band Steely Dan.

Out of curiosity, I researched and learned that the lead guitarist, Walter Becker, already died, but the singer in the video above, Donald Fagen, born 1948, is still alive.

Both my immediate neighbors undertook major construction when they first bought their houses. Their work crews used our water regularly during the construction. Yes, it added marginally to our water bill, but they were our new neighbors and we were happy to help them out.

Did they ask first?

When each new house was built, the construction crews tapped into the nearest house for electricity. I heard that the homeowners were compensated for it.

That's what makes the difference. Ask first. It's not about the cost of the water. It's about respecting other people's property and not treating it like it's your own to do with as you please. And then having the nerve to get upset with the property owner when you're caught. No screaming fits here. 'Nuff said. :angel:

I seldom post on our Nextdoor... but it is entertaining to read.

Twice, when one repairman needed water to check my roof leak and another needed water to clean my outside AC unit... and my water hose was still stored away for winter, I noticed my neighbor's water/hose was nearby and available. Not only did I ask first... I paid them $20 each time, which more than compensated for the cost of the water. They probably wish I would need their water more often !

Last edited:

+1. I'd be annoyed, too. And in 30 years of living in a house, I've never had any of my neighbors doing something similar.

I have a neighbor who has been feeding stray cats. The cat population exploded since they moved in. I don't mind the cats but when they use my front and back yard lawns as their toilet, it drives me crazy ... enough to do bodily harm to the cats. But hey, they are living creatures and I let them live for now ... :(

I have a neighbor who has been feeding stray cats. The cat population exploded since they moved in. I don't mind the cats but when they use my front and back yard lawns as their toilet, it drives me crazy ... enough to do bodily harm to the cats. But hey, they are living creatures and I let them live for now ... :(

I have new neighbors on one side with a couple of children and four cats. I don't have any pets. But fortunately I like cats. Two of her cats love to sleep on my large shaded front porch... probably because it's much more quiet here than at their house.

But I'm pretty good about picking up the doggies' business, and while I'm at it, I pick up other litter. So it's a bit of a wash. Most don't appreciate my dogs but don't realize why the neighborhood doesn't have trash.

I like dogs, and have owned some.
However, if a random dog comes in my garage or house, I'm going to be pretty concerned/nervous

Someday, maybe you will post here about how your dog is missing, or was killed and then it won't seem so funny. :greetings10:

I think the act of sneaking over and trespassing is the issue, not the measly bit of water. If someone will sneak around to use your spigot, what else might they sneak around and do? Maybe nothing, but it's still a creepy feeling.

Back
Top Bottom