Are your neighbors insane?

Before, we had a neighbor who seems to use power tools all the time. I used to comment to DW, somewhat annoyingly, "there he goes again." For the last two months, I have been working on a lot of DIYs and using power tools. Sometimes, I listened to music in garage while I am working on something. I may be the neighbor that all my neighbors are going "gee, I wish he stop making racket." No one has complained yet. No dirty looks. No police was called (I don't use power tools at odd hours). But I wonder if I became that crazy neighbor that everyone is rolling their eyes when they see me? :D

Oh, he was just making the bodies easier to dispose of.........:LOL:

I think the act of sneaking over and trespassing is the issue, not the measly bit of water. If someone will sneak around to use your spigot, what else might they sneak around and do? Maybe nothing, but it's still a creepy feeling.

Thank you for understanding it was never about the water. With extremely young kids at home at the time, it adds another factor to it. :)

If you want a neighbor story from me, I haven't got anything too exciting to tell. But the guy 2 houses down from us gets irate if anyone parks in the street in front of his house. Parking there is legal. He has room for 2 cars next to his tree lawn. He lives alone and only has 1 car, which he regularly parks in his driveway. He's confronted other neighbors who've parked in front of his house. I heard from 1 neighbor about the time he parked in front of the guy's house. The guy pulled out of his driveway, pulled in front of the neighbor's car, backed up so that his rear bumper was nearly touching the neighbor's front bumper, and left his car there on purpose so that the neighbor had to back up before he could leave.

Several years ago, my BIL from out of town was visiting over the holidays. All the other spots nearer were taken, so he parked in front of the guy's house. In the evening, the guy banged on our door, demanding to know whose car was parked there. He told my BIL he shouldn't be parked there.

It's not just parking that gets this guy all riled up. I was outside in front of our house shoveling snow. He came up to me and demanded to know where my husband was. I pointed around the corner to where my husband was shoveling on that side. He'd been all set to rant about how my husband should be out there shoveling and not me. Well, he had that rant all stored up, don't you know? He still had to let it out anyway, so he did, even though it didn't make any sense.

I could tell more stories about this guy, but let's just say he's alienated many neighbors by looking for trouble where it doesn't exist and sticking his nose where it doesn't belong.

Neighbor A passed away from a long battle with cancer (decades).
Neighbor B college kids threw a party that same night after all of us saw the ambulance
Neighbor C Let us all (and NB know their thoughts at the xmas party(after more than a few). #awkward, but I kinda felt the same disrespect of NB kids just kinda nodded.

We are a very diplomatic neighborhood.

I like dogs, and have owned some.
However, if a random dog comes in my garage or house, I'm going to be pretty concerned/nervous

Someday, maybe you will post here about how your dog is missing, or was killed and then it won't seem so funny. :greetings10:

Exactly my thoughts.

I seldom post on our Nextdoor... but it is entertaining to read.

Thanks to this thread I checked out Nextdoor for the first time. OMG! These people ARE insane!

Today someone posted that "There is a suspicious person in my backyard! They've been looking in my garage and first floor windows! I don't know what to do!!" (complete with pictures)

Well, instead of typing away on Nextdoor, maybe, just maybe it might be a good idea to call the police? Maybe?

Thanks to this thread I checked out Nextdoor for the first time. OMG! These people ARE insane!

Today someone posted that "There is a suspicious person in my backyard! They've been looking in my garage and first floor windows! I don't know what to do!!" (complete with pictures)

Well, instead of typing away on Nextdoor, maybe, just maybe it might be a good idea to call the police? Maybe?

Maybe they're just looking for the water spigot? :cool:

Some people report everything, I mean "everything." Today, someone reported a shoplifter in a major grocery chain and complained that the store's security is too lax and will get a customer killed. :facepalm: How she went from seeing a shoplifter --> grocery store security (lack of) will get their customer killed is beyond me. I sure hope she is not one of my close neighbors.

I don't follow any musician, and the above song is the only one I know from the rock band Steely Dan.

Out of curiosity, I researched and learned that the lead guitarist, Walter Becker, already died, but the singer in the video above, Donald Fagen, born 1948, is still alive.

For the record, the video posted above is a combination of the original soundtrack from the album recording of "Do it Again" with a video from an appearance on The Midnight Special in 1973. Donald Fagen sang on the album recording of "Do it Again" and that's what you hear in that video. But the person singing in the video is David Palmer. Palmer was the lead singer for Steely Dan in their very early days of touring. He only lasted a couple months and the only recording he did was "Dirty Work" on their first album.

For a Steely Dan fanatic like me, it's pretty weird watching Fagen's voice coming from frizzy-haired David Palmer. Here's the same video with the actual soundtrack from The Midnight Special live performance (not nearly as good, IMHO).

https://youtu.be/7JkS8WB94ME

I think the act of sneaking over and trespassing is the issue, not the measly bit of water. If someone will sneak around to use your spigot, what else might they sneak around and do? Maybe nothing, but it's still a creepy feeling.
I understand. The flip side of it is that for people working menial jobs on site, just finding water and a toilet when they need it can be a constant stress. Of course, the guy should have asked, but I can understand where it might seem like a reasonable gamble as opposed to knocking on a door and getting a hostile response.

I understand. The flip side of it is that for people working menial jobs on site, just finding water and a toilet when they need it can be a constant stress. Of course, the guy should have asked, but I can understand where it might seem like a reasonable gamble as opposed to knocking on a door and getting a hostile response.

I understand that, too. But he wasn't working on my property, or even right next to it. He was on a crew putting in a new road a ways down from my property.

ETA - Also, we're not in the middle of nowhere. At the time, there were (and still are) several fast food/restaurants a mile away in 2 directions, less than a 5 minute drive away.

We're having a new roof put on soon. Do you really think I'm not going to let the roofers have water or some other cold drink, plus use my bathroom, if needed? Yes, I certainly will!

Last edited:
My favorite occurrences on the 'next door' app are when someone complains about something, and the person being complained about responds. Recent ones are 1) the woman that complained a car was stopping outside her house frequently. It was a neighbor using the phone who didn't want to use it at home. The cell phone user responded and they both were sniping away. 2) the woman complaining about an older man riding his bike and looking in her garage and at cars in driveways. The bike rider's wife responded that is was her husband out exercising and he circled around in front of her house as he turned around on a steep hill 3) the man jogging who reported teenagers in a car on a dirt road in the area. The kid's mother responded on next door that her kids were out working on a film project for high school and leave them alone!! :)

The thing that strikes me the most regarding neighbors is an overall lack of common sense and respect for other neighbors.

Right? It seems more that people think in terms of what other people should have to tolerate, instead of thinking about the appropriate way to behave in a neighborhood.

I'mma gonna put up a sign on my water spigot on the front of my house with a little shelf and a plastic cup;

"Free Water"

For the record, the video posted above is a combination of the original soundtrack from the album recording of "Do it Again" with a video from an appearance on The Midnight Special in 1973. Donald Fagen sang on the album recording of "Do it Again" and that's what you hear in that video. But the person singing in the video is David Palmer. Palmer was the lead singer for Steely Dan in their very early days of touring. He only lasted a couple months and the only recording he did was "Dirty Work" on their first album.

For a Steely Dan fanatic like me, it's pretty weird watching Fagen's voice coming from frizzy-haired David Palmer. Here's the same video with the actual soundtrack from The Midnight Special live performance (not nearly as good, IMHO).

https://youtu.be/7JkS8WB94ME

Thanks for the correction.

You are right that the actual soundtrack is not as good as the one that was dubbed in. But usually, live performance even from the same performers is not nowhere as good as recordings in a studio in a more controlled environment.

I always offer cold water, or agua fria, to whoever's working in or around the house. It is gratefully accepted - especially in Florida - yet you'd be surprised how often I get "No thanks, I'm good." People who spend a lot of time outside know to tote their own water and other refreshments.

I lend my bathroom grudgingly, since all too often it is returned to me very smelly and with the seat left up :mad: Still, it would be a truly stingy act to refuse someone who needs to go...what're they supposed to do, dig a hole in the yard?

I

We're having a new roof put on soon. Do you really think I'm not going to let the roofers have water or some other cold drink, plus use my bathroom, if needed? Yes, I certainly will!

... live performance even from the same performers is not nowhere as good as recordings in a studio...

As I get old, I make mistakes like the above more often. I put down "not as good", then edited to change to "nowhere" and forgot to delete "not".

On 2nd thought, I made mistakes like the above when young too. Or didn't I? :)

I always offer cold water, or agua fria, to whoever's working in or around the house. It is gratefully accepted - especially in Florida - yet you'd be surprised how often I get "No thanks, I'm good." People who spend a lot of time outside know to tote their own water and other refreshments.

I lend my bathroom grudgingly, since all too often it is returned to me very smelly and with the seat left up :mad: Still, it would be a truly stingy act to refuse someone who needs to go...what're they supposed to do, dig a hole in the yard?

+1

Yes! I’d be beyond annoyed if a neighbor did that to us and for sure I’d let them know to stay the heck off our property from then on. It’s incredibly dense not to realize that this isn’t ok. We had put up a camera to check in on the dogs while we were at work and I found our neighbor wandering in our backyard one afternoon. He had to go through three gates to get where he was. He was an older man and I knew there was no bad intent, but it was still surprising to see.

Just got this email about a neighbor next to our development:

"This is just an FYI on over the fence activity with next door neighbors.

Now that folks are outside, we need to be aware of next door neighbors over the fence line behind N's house. Apparently, one of the residents may be bipolar or schizophrenic. There's a great deal of swearing and profanity from a lady who shouts there frequently while I'm outside. It doesn't usually last more than a few minutes, but it's quite loud and pitiful.

It's been going on for a couple of weeks, so I don't know how permanent the situation is or even if someone new has moved in.

I probably would not have said anything except that my dog and I were sitting on the deck late Saturday afternoon, when we noticed a strange woman on our property pulling on the wooden fence between our two properties as if she was trying to pull it down or see how stable it was. There's a gap in the fence there where a limb from their property fell on it last year. My dog started barking at her and she quickly walked off past N's front door."

..........Apparently, one of the residents may be bipolar or schizophrenic. There's a great deal of swearing and profanity from a lady who shouts there frequently while I'm outside. It doesn't usually last more than a few minutes, but it's quite loud and pitiful.....
I'd almost forgotten. After we sold our house, we rented a house in a "high density" neighborhood. About once a week someone in the neighborhood would let out a Tarzan call for about a full minute. I could never figure out where it came from. :LOL:

Reading this thread has given me the urge to register at NextDoor. It opens a whole new world of opportunity - to mess with people.:)

Back
Top Bottom