Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-24-2009, 12:42 PM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I can stand up and say I think a psych degree is mostly useless, and I have one. I'm surely not disagreeing with you, Nords, on that one. Not that I didn't get alot out of it.

Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-24-2009, 08:39 PM   #42
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sam, I think you are picking a battle that you can not win. I can understand why you want to redirect him to where the money is, however the bottom line is it is his choice.

I think it would be a bigger disaster to convince him to do a degree that he is not really interested in. Who wants to doom someone to 40 years on the job in a field they don't like.

What I would be talking to him about would be "great you are studying psychology what do you plan to do with that degree afterwards?". Once he starts researching and is able to determine for himself that the financial rewards are not likely to fund his financial goals, maybe that will cause a shift in his thinking.

I be a girl, he's a boy. Think I maybe FIRED since July 08. Mid 40s, no kidlets. Actually am totally clueless as to what is going on with DH.
DangerMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 09:52 PM   #43
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMouse View Post

What I would be talking to him about would be "great you are studying psychology what do you plan to do with that degree afterwards?". Once he starts researching and is able to determine for himself that the financial rewards are not likely to fund his financial goals, maybe that will cause a shift in his thinking.
Agree 100% - you can't "tell" a kid anything at this point, but you can throw out some things for them to think about (and you should - they often don't know enough to ask these questions of themselves). Then it is their decision.

Even if they don't change their mind initially, like others say, they may end up changing their major along the way, or using it as a springboard to other things. So, provide a little insight and direction, but don't try to push.

I guess I was lucky in that regard - I had some vague sense that the stuff I was interested in was also a field with decent pay. And by then, I realized the "Rock Star" thing wasn't gonna happen

DW, OTOH, went into a field that she was interested in, and became disillusioned when the work didn't really seem to be helping people as much as she dreamed, and the reality of a low wage sank in when she saw what kind of apartment she could afford... But, she used the degree as a springboard, went into a different field where the degree was enough of a "sign of commitment" to get her started, and she did OK, moving into management in that field. Things have a way of working out if you keep your eyes open and adapt.

-ERD50
Old 07-24-2009, 10:32 PM   #44
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Even if they don't change their mind initially, like others say, they may end up changing their major along the way, or using it as a springboard to other things. So, provide a little insight and direction, but don't try to push.
-ERD50
I agree 100%. It's not the end of the world, or that he will be locked into it.

Besides, no matter what is a student's major, I believe if he is at the top of his field, he can make a living.

One of my wife's nieces loved to draw, and wanted to study art. My sister-in-law tried to talk her out of it, but that was what her daughter wanted. The girl had excellent grades in all subjects in high school, but I knew she would be miserable in an engineering or a science career. Her math and science good grades came to her only because of her superhuman and disciplined efforts (in order to get a scholarship), while her artistic talent came much more naturally. I persuaded her parents to let her pursue her interests.

Well, after her graduation (6 yrs ago), the girl has been making a very comfortable living, designing greeting cards, toys, illustrations for books, etc... And she is SO happy doing what she loves.

So, Sam, does your nephew really really know what he is getting into? Does he truly have a passion for it? Is it really his calling? Point this out to him, then let him decide for himself.
Old 07-25-2009, 08:08 AM   #45
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post

Well, after her graduation (6 yrs ago), the girl has been making a very comfortable living, designing greeting cards, toys, illustrations for books, etc... And she is SO happy doing what she loves.
Interesting - can you say a little more about this? Does she work for a large company or for herself? What part of the country?

Seemed interesting to be designing toys as well as greeting cards...

Thanx.
Old 07-25-2009, 10:01 AM   #46
Give me a forum ...

She lives and works in the LA area. She has worked for a number of firms and also been doing free-lance work. I know nothing of this area of work, but think the design firms she has been with are not that big.

By the way, she mentioned that some of her friends in school had a tough time finding employment. She did help one of them out by hiring her. It's not easy in that field.
Old 07-25-2009, 02:10 PM   #47
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam View Post
My nephew is a excellent very good student. Sam
Quote:
That's why I told him to get a marketable degree with good salary prospect. Obviously, my first choice for him is engineering. Next, a BS in Science. I had never mentioned liberal arts or psychology. In fact I hinted to him that I would be very disappointed if he pursue psych or any of the LArts degree. He seemed to agree with me. And just recently I was hit by the news.
Quote:
OK, for those of you who agree with my reasoning, help me convince him to turn around. I'm out of idea. What should I say? What could I do?

Sam
Whose life is this anyway? Leave the boy alone. He is intelligent enough to decide for himself. Not everyone wants to be, or should become, a quant.