Baseball 2015

Well. My, my, my.

That was NotSoFun for Cub fans, huh?

Maybe it'll put a fire in the bellies of those in or around the team for 2016. It should, a thorough, sustained thumping like that.

Admit it - they are fun, as is baseball in general. Personally, I won't be glued to the set but will follow the comments from those with teams still in the hunt. Remember: no crying!

Baseball is calmer than football, usually. ;)

Baseball (like other sports) playoffs is a reminder that past performance is no guarantee of future success. The three teams with the best regular season record already got bounced.

Hopefully, this time next year the Cubbies will be playing in October again for more [-]punishment[/-] fun. Hope springs eternal. :)

I've been meaning to mention something, could go in the "What Have You Read?" thread but I think OK here too.

I disposed of a lot of hard-copy books this summer, mostly through donations or garage sales of friends. That frees up an amazing amount of space and saves lifting some heavy boxes at moving time. Meanwhile, my Kindle library grows.

I didn't dump all, though. One I saved and have been slowly rereading is Babe: The Legend Comes To Life, by Robert W. Creamer, published 1974 and now available in various editions.

I'm enjoying the reread immensely and I bet a lot of baseball fans would, too. Better be a fan though because there's an amazing amount of detail about that American icon, Babe Ruth. I did one of those build-your-own models of the Bambino as a kid and it stayed on my bedroom dresser: home run #60, complete with catcher and ump watching it sail out of there. :)

Last edited:
With the Cubs loss last night, I'm done with baseball for the year. No more bets, and no more baseball games on TV for me this year. However, I will finish off the extra beer I bought for the world series. :) Just don't care about any of the remaining teams.

I'll talk to you guys about baseball in the 2016 thread.

With the Cubs loss last night, I'm done with baseball for the year. No more bets, and no more baseball games on TV for me this year. However, I will finish off the extra beer I bought for the world series. :) Just don't care about any of the remaining teams.

I'll talk to you guys about baseball in the 2016 thread.

Well, I've always got plenty of beer, but I did go through my last pack of Cracker Jack last night!

I don't follow sports until something exciting like this comes along. So at least now, I can get back to my regularly scheduled events. The loss would have been easier to take if the Cubs played better ball against the Mets, it was mostly pretty sad. Time for a few relevant lines from Steve Goodman's, "A Dying Cub Fan's Last Request":

The Cubs made me a criminal
Sent me down a wayward path
They stole my youth from me
(that's the truth)

... But what do you expect,
When you raise up a young boy's hopes
And then just crush 'em like so many paper beer cups.

Year after year after year...
after year, after year, after year, after year, after year

He whispered, "Don't Cry, we'll meet by and by near the Heavenly Hall of Fame
He said, "I've got season's tickets to watch the Angels now,
So its just what I'm going to do
He said, "but you the living, you're stuck here with the Cubs,
So its me that feels sorry for you!"

Do they still play the blues in Chicago
When baseball season rolls around?
When the snow melts away,
Do the Cubbies still play
In their ivy-covered burial ground?

When I was a boy, they were my pride and joy
But now they only bring fatigue
To the home of the brave
The land of the free
And the doormat of the National League

-ERD50

I am soo looking forward to tomorrow night.

Time to dance, just wish I knew how.

I'll cheer for the Royals. I went to a game at Kauffman this year, and their fan base was very welcoming to me (in my Cubs shirt) and my wife (in her Braves shirt). The stadium was awesome, and that's another long-suffering fanbase with just one flash of brilliance. Plus, I saved my Royals beer cup so I drink my water out of it daily in my temporary locale here! Don't care about the Blue Jays and Mets, so if it's them, I won't watch.
1610832_10153111139110868_7855172733336839020_n.jpg

11846550_10152976916560868_3847755898615518012_n.jpg

photo.php

Last edited:
Hopefully, this time next year the Cubbies will be playing in October again for more [-]punishment[/-] fun. Hope springs eternal. :)
Though I'm disappointed as a Cubs fan, the Mets win was convincing to put it mildly. Let's hope the Mets win the WS so we can claim we're second best. And the outlook for the Cubbies "next year" takes on a great, new meaning based on their success this year.

Sorry KC fans I just got back from a quick trip into the future and Toronto wins tonight's game 7-5.

Wow, I had hoped for exciting baseball. That game had just about everything, including questionable calls.

I lost interest in baseball a few years ago because the game was too long and too slow for me. And with the Red Sox winning the World series in 2004 after an 86 year drought the intrigue has completely gone.

But hang in there Cubs fans and have faith in Theo Epstein. He was the catalyst behind ending the Red Sox drought and hopefully he will soon do the same for you.

Entertaining game last night. Sorry to see the Jays exit but KC earned it. Live by the long ball, die by the long ball. I thought that the commentators observations about advancing runners was spot on. It sure wasn't an NL game! Had to love Cain scoring from first on a single with none out in a tie game! Now that was aggressive. Kudos to the third base coach.

Oh and just to clarify Keith's point, a single in Canadian football is not awarded for missing a field goal. In the CFL the end zones are 20 yards deep and the goal posts are still on the goal line. A single is awarded if a kicked ball remains in the end zone at the end of the play. This encourages returns which adds to the excitement of the game. It also has resulted in some of the craziest plays ever. The team on offense kicks the ball into the end zone and the receiving team kicks it back out followed by the offensive team kicking it back in, etc. Doesn't happen as much as it did in the old days but was very exciting to see a one point game come down to this kind of a play.

Yes that sort of play was reminiscent of rugby. I thought the rain delay at 3-3 increased the excitement.

If we have to wait till Tuesday might as well play some tunes

I've decided which team I'm going to (mildly) root for in the Series. But to avoid inflicting the "Cubs jinx" on them, I'll avoid saying which.

Regardless, I hope it's a great series!

I'm normally an American League fan, but as a former NYer, I attended many games at Shea in the 60s. Lets go Mets!

Back
Top Bottom